The Student Room Group

First Year University Organic Chemistry Help

Hello, I am currently working on questions regarding conformations, energy and angles. It was a computation assignment using a computer program, so answers that are slightly off in my results are okay. I put the questions first and the results are below that.

QUESTIONS:
1) Rank energies in order of increasing stability and explain why.
-I understand this question and the reasoning behind it, there is no need to expand further on this. The ranking is: 1,1-diisopropylethene, (Z)-1,2-diisopropylethene, (E)-1,2-diisopropylethene.

2) Rank in order of increasing C=C-C bond angles and explain why the order of ranking is different than in 1).
Ranking: 1,1-diisopropylethene, (E)-1,2-diisopropylethene, (Z)-1,2-diisopropylethene
* this is the part I need help with… I am not sure of the reasoning behind this ranking *

RESULTS:
- (E)-1,2-diisopropylethene: Energy: -102.17kj/mol Angle (along C=C-C): 122.81
- (Z)-1,2-diisopropylethene: Energy: -102.10kj/mol Angle (along C=C-C): 125.13
-1,1-diisopropylethene: Energy: -89.49kj/mol Angle (along C=C-C): 122.68

Thank you in advance for any help I receive! It is much appreciated.
-Sarah
(edited 10 years ago)
Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.
Original post by sarahall243
Hello, I am currently working on questions regarding conformations, energy and angles. It was a computation assignment using a computer program, so answers that are slightly off in my results are okay. I put the questions first and the results are below that.

QUESTIONS:
1) Rank energies in order of increasing stability and explain why.
-I understand this question and the reasoning behind it, there is no need to expand further on this. The ranking is: 1,1-diisopropylethene, (Z)-1,2-diisopropylethene, (E)-1,2-diisopropylethene.

2) Rank in order of increasing C=C-C bond angles and explain why the order of ranking is different than in 1).
Ranking: 1,1-diisopropylethene, (E)-1,2-diisopropylethene, (Z)-1,2-diisopropylethene
* this is the part I need help with… I am not sure of the reasoning behind this ranking *

RESULTS:
- (E)-1,2-diisopropylethene: Energy: -102.17kj/mol Angle (along C=C-C): 122.81
- (Z)-1,2-diisopropylethene: Energy: -102.10kj/mol Angle (along C=C-C): 125.13
-1,1-diisopropylethene: Energy: -89.49kj/mol Angle (along C=C-C): 122.68

Thank you in advance for any help I receive! It is much appreciated.
-Sarah

It must be steric hindrance ...

Quick Reply

Latest