The Student Room Group

Travelling across America, possibly alone

Hi all,

I've been on a number of trips like this before both alone and as part of a group.

Basically I'm planning to to venture across America, west to east by any means possible. So this will include a mixture of hire cars, coaches and hitching. Probably in mid 2014.

I was planning on going on this trip with my boyfriend, however things aren't looking good for us at the moment. So I'll most likely go alone. Like I said, I've travelled alone before which was fine (excluding a few sticky situations which I won't mention here).

I'd generally like some advice about places to visit along the way. Any cities or landmarks people have visited and would recommend..?

I'd also like to hear from anyone that would be interested in meeting up during the trip, whether you live there or will be travelling too. I think meeting new people is what makes trips like this so special!

Looking forward to your insights and suggestions
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Nicedayslim
Hi all,

I've been on a number of trips like this before both alone and as part of a group.

Basically I'm planning to to venture across America, west to east by any means possible. So this will include a mixture of hire cars, coaches and hitching. Probably in mid 2014.

I was planning on going on this trip with my boyfriend, however things aren't looking good for us at the moment. So I'll most likely go alone. Like I said, I've travelled alone before which was fine (excluding a few sticky situations which I won't mention here).

I'd generally like some advice about places to visit along the way. Any cities or landmarks people have visited and would recommend..?

I'd also like to hear from anyone that would be interested in meeting up during the trip, whether you live there or will be travelling too. I think meeting new people is what makes trips like this so special!

Looking forward to your insights and suggestions

Hey, sounds like an amazing trip! I'd recommend spending some time in Oregon - beautiful state. And Seattle is wonderful - quality music scene.
Reply 2
Can I come? :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Jjj90
Can I come? :smile:

Yes!
Reply 4
Honestly I would love to. Sadly my my complete lack of money has me nailed to this town :frown:
Hey I just got back like last week after travelling USA (mostly solo) as a female (21) for 7 weeks. BEST thing I've ever done :smile: Was really easy to meet people in hostels, and it doesn't feel scary there being alone (apart from LA). My favourite stops I made were Seattle, Memphis, Nashville and ofc NYC!!
Reply 6
Hey this is something I want to do next year aswell! I need to look into it more but just need to work out a plan! Have you ever done something like this before?

Matthew
Reply 7
I really want to travel in America this summer but can't find anyone to go with, so am looking for a travel buddy! Where are you thinking of going? I don't have a specific plan yet - not sure I would want to travel alone. I've been to America before - Florida, Boston, New York, Washington DC and Chicago. DC is definitely worth a visit and New York of course!
Hard to imagine how you could do it without a car of your own, but if you can find a way, I really recommend exploring southern Utah. Far and away the most breathtaking part of the States when it comes to natural beauty, in my opinion. You could string together three national parks: Zion, Bryce Canyon and Capitol Reef. Some of the best landscapes are to be had in between the parks, though - if you were to take highway 12 across the Grand Staircase National Monument, well, you'd be in for a treat. The road takes you from alpine grassland to rocky desert and then all the way back to pine forest. Take some time for detours, too - there are some roads (like the Burr Trail) that'll take you through some spectacular landscapes, and about as far from civilization as you've ever been.
(edited 10 years ago)
San Francisco is a must - greatest city I've been to.
don't hitchhike across America.it's too dangerous to do that alone.if you make it to California look up emobambam.I'll take you see Hertz castle,disneyland and the Pacific Ocean
I am planning on travelling America in the summer. I have about 30 days (maximum). I hope to travel to Denver, go to Boulder and see the sights and then fly to Oregon, go to Portland, Eugene and probably Bend and hike there. Then to Seattle to see the sights :smile:

Original post by (Tom)
Hey, sounds like an amazing trip! I'd recommend spending some time in Oregon - beautiful state. And Seattle is wonderful - quality music scene.

Can I ask you a few things? Where did you stay in those places? Where did you go in Oregon that was so special? I'm a particular fan of mountain views, as well as forests and lakes. That's just me :tongue:

Original post by iloveusernames
Hey I just got back like last week after travelling USA (mostly solo) as a female (21) for 7 weeks. BEST thing I've ever done :smile: Was really easy to meet people in hostels, and it doesn't feel scary there being alone (apart from LA). My favourite stops I made were Seattle, Memphis, Nashville and ofc NYC!!

What were your favourite things in all those cities? :smile:
Original post by Kaiser MacCleg
Hard to imagine how you could do it without a car of your own, but if you can find a way, I really recommend exploring southern Utah. Far and away the most breathtaking part of the States when it comes to natural beauty, in my opinion. You could string together three national parks: Zion, Bryce Canyon and Capitol Reef. Some of the best landscapes are to be had in between the parks, though - if you were to take highway 12 across the Grand Staircase National Monument, well, you'd be in for a treat. The road takes you from alpine grassland to rocky desert and then all the way back to pine forest. Take some time for detours, too - there are some roads (like the Burr Trail) that'll take you through some spectacular landscapes, and about as far from civilization as you've ever been.

Ah yes, I've thought about southern Utah. How did you do it? As in, how did you manage travelling it, getting there, and where did you stay? :smile:

Original post by Harry Callahan
San Francisco is a must - greatest city I've been to.

What did you do there that was so great? :smile:
Original post by cant_think_of_name
Ah yes, I've thought about southern Utah. How did you do it? As in, how did you manage travelling it, getting there, and where did you stay? :smile:

Hire car. I don't think there would be any other way of doing it, tbh. There's nothing in the way of public transport in the area.

Getting there is easy enough. If you've coming from the west, head up the interstate from Las Vegas and turn off at St. George for the road through Zion.

We stayed at motels - the Colour Country in Panguitch and the Circle D in Escalante both come with my recommendation. Reasonable rates when we went there but no doubt prices have gone up since. You'll find similar places in most small towns over there, and depending on the time of year, you may not have to book in advance.

From what I remember there were hotels in the national parks themselves, as well. Probably much more expensive though.

EDIT: Here ya go - made a map of the route I'd suggest: link. Bit of a choice once you pass Capitol Reef though - you could go north-east to Moab (and two more national parks: Arches and Canyonlands), or you could go south-east to take in Monument Valley and Mesa Verde.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Kaiser MacCleg
Hire car. I don't think there would be any other way of doing it, tbh. There's nothing in the way of public transport in the area.

Getting there is easy enough. If you've coming from the west, head up the interstate from Las Vegas and turn off at St. George for the road through Zion.

We stayed at motels - the Colour Country in Panguitch and the Circle D in Escalante both come with my recommendation. Reasonable rates when we went there but no doubt prices have gone up since. You'll find similar places in most small towns over there, and depending on the time of year, you may not have to book in advance.

From what I remember there were hotels in the national parks themselves, as well. Probably much more expensive though.

EDIT: Here ya go - made a map of the route I'd suggest: link. Bit of a choice once you pass Capitol Reef though - you could go north-east to Moab (and two more national parks: Arches and Canyonlands), or you could go south-east to take in Monument Valley and Mesa Verde.

Thank you very much! How old are you (or how old were you when you did this)? I've thought about car hire but I'll be 19 so it's all very expensive :frown:

What did you do there that was so great? :smile:

It's the place as a whole, really. Very relaxed, very friendly. Alcatraz is great if you like that sort of thing. Golden Gate Bridge to see and walk along, obviously. Loads of good shops if you're into that.

tripadvisor will tell you more, but it's a great city.

What were your favourite things in all those cities? :smile:

Hmmm let's see:

NYC: I don't have a particular favourite. I just love the whole place, walking around is so magical <3 I do love Central Park though it's amazing. Also you have to go to Top Of The Rock, has a so much better view than the Empire State. It absolutely blew my mind the view.

Washington DC: The American History Museum (not a big museum person but got loads of interesting things and even has the real Ruby slippers from wizard of oz it blew my mind haha), and walking around The National Mall (this long strip that has loads of monuments), also there's so many museums there and they're all free unlike rest of the US.

The south: Just how friendly they all are and the accents, it feels so much different to the rest of the US in every singly way. Also the main strips in Memphis and Nashville (cant remember the names) is insane, every single bar has live music. Crazy walking down their at night and just listening to the sounds from every direction!

Seattle: Everything about it really. It's a great small compact city so really easy to navigate. It's so pretty (you must go to Kerry Hill Park stonker of a view) The EMP museum is great (museum for all things music, film and nerd related things). It's such a wonderful place.

San Francisco - Fishermans Wharf (yes it's very touristy and the equivelent to Covent Garden but I like it), The Walt Disney Family museum, and just walking round the place, it's got it's own culture and I just love walking round and soaking it all up.

LA - My favourite thing about LA was when I left :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest