The Student Room Group

Help on calculating uncertainty value

d1 = 2.53 cm +/- .05 cm

d2 = 1.753 m +/- .001 m

0 = 23.5 degrees / .5 degrees

v1 = 1.55 m/s +/- .15 m/s

Using the measured quantities above, calculate the following. Express the uncertainty calculated value.

a = 4 v1^2 / d2
Original post by Joystar$1977
d1 = 2.53 cm +/- .05 cm

d2 = 1.753 m +/- .001 m

0 = 23.5 degrees / .5 degrees

Using the measured quantities above, calculate the following. Express the uncertainty calculated value.

a = 4 v1^2 / d2

Before you post any more of these questions, please note that this forum is not here to do your work for you.

I presume you have some notes from your class which tell you how to combine uncertainties. What don't you understand?
Reply 2
Stonebridge: Since there is addition and multiplication in the problem I don't understand which rule I am supposed to use in order to solve this problem. I wasn't trying to get anybody to do the work for me. Sorry, I accidentally submitted the question without showing exactly what I tried to do with the problem. Here it is again:

d1 = 2.53 cm +/- .05 cm

d2 = 1.753 m +/- .001 m

0 = 23.5 degrees +/- .5 degrees

a = 4 v1^2 / d2

a = 4 (1.55 m/s +/- .15 m/s) ^2 / 1.753 m +/- .001 m

a = 6.2 m/s +/- .6 m/s ^2 / 1.753 m +/- .001 m

a = 6.8 m/s ^2 / 1.754 m

a = 13.6 m/s / 1.754 m

a = 7.753705815

I know this isn't right, but I am not sure exactly how to do this problem. I would appreciate it if you or somebody would help me with the problem.

Original post by Stonebridge
Before you post any more of these questions, please note that this forum is not here to do your work for you.

I presume you have some notes from your class which tell you how to combine uncertainties. What don't you understand?
There is no addition in the problem.
To do these you first find the % uncertainty in the values in the formula.
When you multiply or divide you add the % uncertainties to find the % uncertainty in the final answer. Then convert that back to an absolute uncertainty.
In the case of a square you multiply the % uncertainty by two.

In the other question you posted I told you that if you add (or subtract) values you add the absolute uncertainties.

If a formula contains both multiplication (or division) and addition, first find the error in the multiplication using % uncertainties and add the absolute error from that to the error in the other term.

So in this question, what's the % uncertainty in v1 and d2?
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest