The Student Room Group
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton

Psychology at Sussex

Hi guys!!!
I am going to apply for conversion course in psychology!! Anyone else who is interested too?
Reply 1
Hey Aphrodite 2, Yes I applied as well. I got an email yesterday about there are so many applications so "once the 31st March deadline has passed your application will be assessed" Is this simply bull****? Or did you or anyone received anything like this??
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton
Reply 2
What???? Yeah that's really bull**** :P
I am going to submit application approximately until the end of month but i haven't taken my ielts exam yet and i wanted a conditional offer firstly in order to know if i meet the academic requirements..I don't want wait until the April :angry:

Unfortunately i don't know anyone else who is interested for that course at sussex uni..Do you know if it's competitive??
Reply 3
I KNOW, I wanted the same thing as well. I've heard that the course is highly competitive.. and there were even interviews last year.. (annoying smiley)
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
++ Are you gonna apply to any other psychology course in the UK?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by illface
++ Are you gonna apply to any other psychology course in the UK?

Hmmm..and interviews?I don;t really like it cause it's pretty stressful but i hope at least to accept skype or phone interview cause am not from UK..

I want only conversion courses but i am considering and other unis..
what about u? on what is your first degree?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6
As a matter of fact I'm only applying to conversion courses as well. Sussex, St Andrews, Essex, Sheffield Hallam - but my first choice is Sussex.
Furthermore, I'm sure that you (or I'd say we - because I'm not from the UK either) can do skype interviews just as well.
My first degree is in communication. How about yours?
Reply 7
Original post by illface
As a matter of fact I'm only applying to conversion courses as well. Sussex, St Andrews, Essex, Sheffield Hallam - but my first choice is Sussex.
Furthermore, I'm sure that you (or I'd say we - because I'm not from the UK either) can do skype interviews just as well.
My first degree is in communication. How about yours?

Same choices, except from Sheffield Hallam..My first is St.Andrews but we will see..
Religious studies and theology is mine and actually i haven't graduated yet..i have to take 2 exams (plus ielts), that's why i wanted the conditional offer..
send p.m. if u want :wink:
Reply 8
Hi!

I applied to St. Andrews, Nottingham, Sussex, Essex and Westminster... yup I know thats a lot...
I got unconditionals from all but I don't know which to choose. Does anyone know how their reputations are, apart from the world ranking lists...
I want to continue in academics so this information is pretty key....
Also, if you are overseas students, how are you planning to pay for St. Andrews?
Reply 9
Did sussex reply you without skype interview..Wow..

The first three are top unis and departments.. depends on the program you like..:/ check on which areas the departments are focused on and if you would be interested in the future to continue on these..

Take a look fro scholarships about St Andrews!!!
Reply 10
Original post by Aphrodite 2
Did sussex reply you without skype interview..Wow..

The first three are top unis and departments.. depends on the program you like..:/ check on which areas the departments are focused on and if you would be interested in the future to continue on these..

Take a look fro scholarships about St Andrews!!!

No..no... We skyped :smile: I got the offer then...
I applied to the psyc departments so I am inquiring on their reputation in psyc. I want to do a conversion degree before I move on to a phd or maybe another masters.
but St Andrews accepted me to their conversion program but then said we think you should apply for the actual masters (MSc Evolutionary and Comparative Psychology). I did and they accepted me.
so now I'm confused, can I advance in academics without a proper psyc background? Can I just go do a psyc msc?
Reply 11
Can you tell me on how long did they reply you from Sussex cause i had mine 2 days ago and i am waiting for answer..

As i told you you check both the structure of the conversion course (if you can stand it) and the department..on which areas they are more specialized and if this fits with your academic-research interest for the future..Also look for any opportunity that may the department provide to the postgrad. students for further training...as all the conversions are approximately same -because of BPS- i think there are other factors that we should take into account in order to decide.

About the St.Andrews what do you mean, they advice you to apply and for another program? Will you do 2 masters at the same time?I think i have read the same and from another guy somewhere here on the forum but really sounds me very strange...Do you have any deadline until to decide for st andrews?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by Aphrodite 2
Can you tell me on how long did they reply you from Sussex cause i had mine 2 days ago and i am waiting for answer..

As i told you you check both the structure of the conversion course (if you can stand it) and the department..on which areas they are more specialized and if this fits with your academic-research interest for the future..Also look for any opportunity that may the department provide to the postgrad. students for further training...as all the conversions are approximately same -because of BPS- i think there are other factors that we should take into account in order to decide.

About the St.Andrews what do you mean, they advice you to apply and for another program? Will you do 2 masters at the same time?I think i have read the same and from another guy somewhere here on the forum but really sounds me very strange...Do you have any deadline until to decide for st andrews?

with Sussex, Ms. Oakhill told me at the end of our interview that they were going to offer me a place. The actual offer letter came later but I knew then.
I hope you get an offer!

See, st Andrews has both a conversion program and a masters program. They told me, even though I don't have a psyc background, that I can do the masters without having taken any conversion course...
so not at the same time, just one or the other. But since I want an academic career, I want my CV to be credible... So I have to decide within like less than a week, that's the st Andrew deadline :/ I'm really confused.

do you know a thread where I could post my problem and would get many and quick replies

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending