The Student Room Group

How many Subjects were you in the Top Set for at school?

Scroll to see replies

We weren't really setted but the classes were IYKWM. So the class I was in for Years 7-9 was Set 3, class for GCSE I was in the Set 2 class. So basically we were in all our classes with the same people.
All of them including PE :teehee:

I was surprised when I found out in year 7 that I was in top set for everything. From year 3 to 6 I was in middle/second to bottom for everything in my class. I must've been the biggest shock ever in my junior school. I even got 100% in my Maths SAT.
Reply 42
Set 1 for everything, except for Maths and French. My two weak points.

I somehow managed to remain in set 1 for D.T by getting my best friend to do help me... A lot. I really wasn't good at all the wood work stuff to say the least.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 43
For GCSE I was in top set for English, History, Science and 2nd set for Maths. We didn't have sets for some subjects though like Geography, Media and tech.
By the time I was doing my GCSEs I was in the top set for everything. Started out in set 2 for science though before being moved up (which turned out to be a mistake since I was forced to do triple science :tongue: )
Reply 45
All of them, but it was a **** school. Really ****.

Posted from TSR Mobile
All of them bar maths until half way through my fourth year when I got moved up due to a good prelim grade. So eventually all!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 47
All of them (maths, science and English).
Just maths. Only maths was 'setted' at my school when I went, and that was only for GCSE. I believe most of the core subjects are done that way now. A shame I missed it really, I think it makes sense to keep all the imbeciles who sit there setting fire to their books and each other in the same room.

It was pretty rigid; as far as I recall, we only gained one student in the whole two years, and nobody got moved down.
We only had sets in English(set 1 to 2) and Maths(1 to 4), and I'm set 2 for both of them. :unimpressed:
I was top set in Junior School though! :tongue:
Reply 51
my school had sets for pretty much everything , we were in the set classes for History , Georgraphy , Art and IT though.
This feels like a thread where it'll be unacceptable to say that you were in top set for everything.
I was at a grammar school and we only had maths sets. For every other subject we were just taught in classes of around 30, level of ability was irrelevant. My sister went to a comp and while she had more subjects with sets, even then she did not have sets for EVERY subject as seems to be common here. Weird!
Reply 54
top set from year 7 to year 11
I was only ever top in maths, nothing else.

It was a consistent top though.

Edit: I don't know what sets are. I thought we meant "top" as in #1 in the class. I didn't really do SATs in England though.
(edited 10 years ago)
Everything, but tbh in my school that wasn't too hard to do.
2 but there are only 2 top set classes for Science and Maths.
We had sets for everything, even PE.
The only subjects I wasn't top set in were Maths (2) English (2) and Pe (4).
Pretty stupid though as I wasn't good at every subject on the same level but if you were top set in drama, in consequence they put you top set in science as well, because of timetable. Ugh.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 59
I was top set in everything (except pe, but I've always been awful at any kind of competitive sport)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending