British TV is awful compared to US?

Watch this thread
This discussion is closed.
Really_now
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
In general, we have a few gems such as Doctor Who but that's 50 years old now. When is a show going to come out from the UK that takes the world by storm like Breaking Bad, Walking Dead or Game of Thrones has. Its unfair to compare them but the US is really bringing some quality shows to the table at the moment and then I look at Atlantis and just shake my head.
Advertisement
TroyAndAbed
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 8 years ago
Shows like Downton Abbey & Sherlock are pretty well known around the world; I think we just don't really realise how far they've spread because we're here in the UK.
cant_think_of_name
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Hahahahaah you are kidding right? I live in the US and British TV is better than the stuff here, all the Americans just watch BBC America ahaha
Advertisement
emilyjxnes
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
The UK make the funniest TV shows by far. For example, The Inbetweeners. Now that is pure genius.
Катя
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
How dare you say such a thing. Peep Show is a work of art.
Advertisement
sosadsosad
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Disagree, American tv sucks All their programmes are the same with the same accents and the same made up females. It's so irritating.

(Original post by emilyjxnes)
The UK make the funniest TV shows by far. For example, The Inbetweeners. Now that is pure genius.
That show is absolutely awful and cringeworthy and crude. I didn't even really get the jokes.
chocolatesauce
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
really?
Advertisement
Bloxorus
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
TV in the US is absolutely awful compared to the UK. You get basically 5 minutes of adverts for every 10 minutes of a programme, and they aren't the sort of adverts you get over here, they're obnoxious, stupid and just generally horrible to have to watch. This makes it almost impossible to actually enjoy TV over there.
Alfissti
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
American TV sucks, everything about it is so American centric and somehow it lacks the sarcasm and witty elements to it.
Advertisement
Mackay
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
The problem with UK TV is that it simply doesn't get the budget of American TV. All the huge US shows - Boardwalk Empire, Breaking Bad, The Walking Dead etc. - are all backed by MASSIVE networks and thus get runs of 20+ episodes a season. Sherlock is limited to three shows every two years, and the UK comedies usually come in fits and bursts of around half a dozen episodes.
mandyyy6
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Have you never watched Peaky Blinders?! cor blimey
Advertisement
saraw26
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
The Inbetweeners and Life on Mars are examples of good UK tv programmes that the US ruined
username927016
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Personally I feel the standard of both have gone down since the 90s/early 00s.
Advertisement
Leon Trotsky
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Most TV in the US is terrible, it's only stuff produced by channels like HBO and AMC that's really worth watching. The BBC is probably the best broadcaster in the world for making consistently excellent TV shows that are known around the world.
Peachz
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Comparing British and American television is ultimately futile. They're both completely different, it's like trying to compare classical music and pop music. You can't objectively say, 'oh British television sucks' because we make shows like Sherlock, Peep Show, Peaky Blinders etc etc but then the US makes some great shows in Breaking Bad, Boardwalk Empire, Scandal, Person of Interest etc. However, we both make really awful TV, Housewives of New York/NJ/Beverley Hills, Dads etc & then we have TOWIE, Mad Mad World.
midnightice
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by sosadsosad)

That show is absolutely awful and cringeworthy and crude. I didn't even really get the jokes.
You must be very sheltered.
River85
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Really_now)
In general, we have a few gems such as Doctor Who but that's 50 years old now. When is a show going to come out from the UK that takes the world by storm like Breaking Bad, Walking Dead or Game of Thrones has. Its unfair to compare them but the US is really bringing some quality shows to the table at the moment and then I look at Atlantis and just shake my head.
Downtown Abbey? The Office? Sherlock? Who Wants to Be A Millionaire was a British creation, even if it is 15 years old now. The Weakest Link, again 10+ years old, but was quite popular for a while. We're even exporting Jeremy Kyle now!

The general standard of US television is far worse. We are just subjected to the best of it.

The BBC is still known worldwide for the quality of its journalism and programming, even if there has been a decline in consistency, and perhaps quality, since the 90s imo.
Advertisement
munchen102
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
It's the other way about. For the size of Britain it has produced some of the best television ever. In general British tv is more authentic than American. Obviously with the size and wealth of American Tv there are bound to be great tv series', but series for series British TV wins

Posted from TSR Mobile
RobML
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
All the americans I know say the exact opposite
chickenonsteroids
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
I'd never be able to get through a show due to all of the horrid adverts. None of them can make me happy like a M&S advert can.
X
Back
to top
Latest

Y13s: How will you be receiving your A-level results?

In person (63)
68.48%
In the post (3)
3.26%
Text (13)
14.13%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (13)
14.13%

Watched Threads