The Student Room Group

Finding the domain of a composite function

Hi guys I am seriously confused !!!

So basically I would like to know how to find the domain of a composite function. After watching some YouTube videos the general rule seems to be that you must find what x cannot be for the inside function and then do the same for the composite function.

I have attached a copy of the question

So from g(x) x cannot equal 1 or -1 and from the composite function x cannot equal +/- 1/2

Now how on earth do I answer the question :confused:
Reply 1
Original post by Olive123

So basically I would like to know how to find the domain of a composite function. After watching some YouTube videos the general rule seems to be that you must find what x cannot be for the inside function and then do the same for the composite function.

So from g(x) x cannot equal 1 or -1 and from the composite function x cannot equal +/- 1/2

That's an appallingly worded question. There is literally no correct way to answer it, since they don't tell you what the initial domains of ff and gg. Assuming that they are both functions on the largest subset of R\mathbb{R} for which they take real values, in the former case, you are correct that, under that assumption, the domain of fgfg is a subset of R{1,1}\mathbb{R}\setminus \{1,-1\}. However, note that, under that assumption, the interior of any square roots must be non-negative.
Reply 2
Original post by Olive123

for f(x)
165x>0 16-5x>0

fot g(x)
x1|x| \neq 1

for f[g(x)]

165(125(x21))>016 -5 \cdot \left (-\frac{12}{5(x^2-1)}\right )>0

this gives an inequality with quadratic fraction
4x21x21>0\frac{4x^2-1}{x^2-1}>0

This will be true when the sign of the numerator and denominator are the same
that is the fraction is type of +/+ or -/-
for 1)