The Student Room Group

Should I apply to LSE? Urgent

Grades ABBC, predicted 3A's. AAA normal offer for government and economics.
Lots of A* and A's at GCSE. Will I stand a chance or should I not apply?
My ps is only a tiny bit about government and rest is all economics.

Scroll to see replies

LSE is very competitive, and the PS is important for them, so this might cause you issues. Your AS grades could also let you down. What subjects are your A-levels in?

If at least 3 of your other choices are "safe" choices (asking for around AAB-ABB or lower), then I would consider putting LSE down. If 2 or more of your choices are already asking for AAA, I would swap one of these out for LSE, instead of adding another risky choice, provided you are willing to accept you might get a rejection from them. There is no harm in having one aspirational choice, provided you stand a good chance of getting into your other four choices.
Reply 2
Bio economics maths chemistry. I have ucl for AAA condition too, my other two are aab and my backup is abb. I know my chances are like less than 1% but i am scared it may actually be zero as they may filter me out for too low AS grades before they even look at my application. Am I wasting my time? There is also management at LSE and my ps is for eco and management so I talk a lot about business and link it to economics but whenever I spoke about management I linked it to government management of countries. What should I do?
Reply 3
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
LSE is very competitive, and the PS is important for them, so this might cause you issues. Your AS grades could also let you down. What subjects are your A-levels in?

If at least 3 of your other choices are "safe" choices (asking for around AAB-ABB or lower), then I would consider putting LSE down. If 2 or more of your choices are already asking for AAA, I would swap one of these out for LSE, instead of adding another risky choice, provided you are willing to accept you might get a rejection from them. There is no harm in having one aspirational choice, provided you stand a good chance of getting into your other four choices.

Bio economics maths chemistry. I have ucl for AAA condition too, my other two are aab and my backup is abb. I know my chances are like less than 1% but i am scared it may actually be zero as they may filter me out for too low AS grades before they even look at my application. Am I wasting my time? There is also management at LSE and my ps is for eco and management so I talk a lot about business and link it to economics but whenever I spoke about management I linked it to government management of countries. What should I do?
if you have hope in your personal statement you have nothing to lose
Do it.

If they want to take you on, they'll take you on.

LSE is competitive, but so is life.

Very few ask questions about how to lead life, which path to take etc, we just get on.

No-one knows whether it's a good idea for you to apply, because they do not know the outcome of your situation. So...it is pointless asking.
Reply 6
Does anybody know any success stories of people apply to crazy competitive courses/unis with average AS grades and manage to get in?
Original post by tsrking

I would suggest firstly you get your PS checked by a PS helper on TSR, as it sounds a little bit confused.

What do you want to study? If you've applied for economics and management elsewhere, would you prefer to study management at LSE? If you're going to put in a risky application, it may as well be for the subject you really want to study.

Is there somewhere else you have in mind instead to apply to if you don't apply to LSE? Would you actually want to go to this other university?
Reply 8
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
I would suggest firstly you get your PS checked by a PS helper on TSR, as it sounds a little bit confused.

What do you want to study? If you've applied for economics and management elsewhere, would you prefer to study management at LSE? If you're going to put in a risky application, it may as well be for the subject you really want to study.

Is there somewhere else you have in mind instead to apply to if you don't apply to LSE? Would you actually want to go to this other university?

I dont mind either but I really want to apply to LSE and these two courses are the only ones that suit me. My ps isnt confused as i only mention government twice. Is this not enough for LSE?
Reply 9
Original post by tsrking

Honestly, I don't think you stand much of a chance. LSE regularly reject people with grades a lot better than yours. If you even had 1 B, it would be a risky choice.
By all means apply though! If you have a range of choices - ones you can get into, ones you are aiming for etc - then there isn't any harm.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by tsrking

No harm in trying
If I were you I would only apply if I was confident of getting an offer from somewhere else I'd love to go to. Otherwise that course is just as competitive as straight Econ.
I wouldn't bother risking it; success stories are only a small part of the big picture.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
They get a lot of applicants predicts A* and have strong PS so I personally think you wouldn't get an offer. But there is nothing wrong with having an aspirational uni and you already have your back up so there really is no harm in using up this choice. I applied with a prediction of 3As and I'm not expecting an offer but I did it anyway!
Original post by tsrking
I dont mind either but I really want to apply to LSE and these two courses are the only ones that suit me. My ps isnt confused as i only mention government twice. Is this not enough for LSE?

LSE give a lot of advice on their website about PS content. http://www.lse.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/howToApply/departmentalAdmissionsCriteria2014/government.aspx

It would probably be best to read this before making a final decision on applying. It does say they expect an equal weight to be given to both subjects, which is usual for joint honours. However, adding in a lot more information on government may be problematic if your other choices are pure economics.

Is there anywhere else you would put down if you decided LSE was too much of a risk that you would actually want to go to? If this is not the case, you probably may as well put down LSE anyway, as putting down a choice you wouldn't actually attend is also a waste of a choice.
Reply 15
Better chance if you went to a comprehensive school as they have quotas. I got in for accfin with a business management statement.

Posted from TSR Mobile
you should apply if you really want to go there and believe you can get in.
Reply 17
Yes you should apply for it.
Reply 18
Really? Is this not just a waste of an application?
Haven't you applied yet? What are you waiting for?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending