The Student Room Group

Abortion

Girls, if you found out you were pregnant but you were in the middle of your studies (in school, college/sixth form or university), or trying to pursue successful career would you keep the child?

And boys if you had gotten a girl pregnant and were in the same situation would you want her to keep it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

I would definitely keep the baby, but I understand why others wouldn't. I just don't think I could bring myself to abort it, and fortunately I know my family would support me no matter their initial reaction!
I don't think I could live with myself if I forced a girl to get an abortion. Happily I'm married so if an accident happened we would keep it.
I honestly don't know. If it were last year or the year before, I think I would be more likely to abort it, but now I'm in my third year, I know I could finish my degree before having the baby, I might be more inclined to keep it. I do want a child in the future. Saying that, we are not in the most comfortable financial situation at the moment and I would hate to be dealing with the stress of that while pregnant. I would only know for sure how I feel about it if it happened, so would only know for sure what I would do if it happened.
I'd keep it definitely. I don't think I would be able to live with myself if I didn't.
Reply 5
Abort. I can't afford having a baby now. And my bf agrees with it
Reply 6
but if you are pregnant now, then you should decide yourself. And not listen to the others. Its easy to say 'I would keep the baby' if you never experienced this ****ing fear of actually being pregnant.
Reply 7
Been there, done that, was the right decision. Would do it again if needs be.
Abort.

1)Not ready for a child
2)Children are expensive
3)Don't particularly like children
4)If I didn't my life would be ruined
No, I'd get an abortion. I can't fathom the idea of bringing a child into today's screwed up world. Also, yeah, I guess my education fits in there somewhere too, but my university is really flexible with parents and their children because we have a lot of mature students.
Honestly I don't know, I guess the only way I'd know is if it happened to me (as we use two methods of contraception this is unlikely *touch wood*). I'm in my final year and my boyfriend is on a very good salary so timing and money wouldn't really be a problem, however neither of us want children yet and we've been dating under a year so it wouldn't be ideal. I think it'd be unfair to bring an unwanted child into the world, yet at the same time I don't think I could go through with an abortion. I know adoption is an option, however I'd imagine it'd be extremely hard to give away a child after you've been carrying it for nine months then given birth and held it.
Reply 11
It would be horrible, but abort it. Are you setting up the best possible life for yourself and this child? Probably not now, but in the future you will :smile:
Just thought I'd try to create a balance seeing as there were so many people saying to keep it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
There's more than one way not to keep a child, of course.

I'm not convinced this is a question for this area, and even if it were the answer's simple enough: some people would keep the child, some would have an abortion or give them up for adoption, but while other people - including the boyfriend - may have opinions, it's a question that only the individual woman can answer for herself. Whatever that choice is, it's possible to regret something while knowing it was the right choice.
I started university in September 2004. In January 2005, at just turned 21, I found out I was pregnant. I was gutted. Absolutely bawled my eyes out.

That horrible unwanted pregnancy is now my beautiful clever 8 year old daughter Lydia.

I have no degree to show for myself, but I feel I'm blessed. People make their own choices, that's the one I chose.
My mum did this and found it very difficult at times. She said if I were to get pregnant now in uni I would have to move back home and transfer to the local uni so she could help me. I would find it hard to abort it but I definitely would so I could have the best career opportunities without being restricted.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Abort. No doubt in my mind whatsoever.
Reply 16
At the moment I am still at sixth form, with a chemistry masters ahead of me and if I was to get pregnant then, I don't think that I would be able to keep the child. Saying that I don't know whether I could give it up for adoption, I think in those circumstances then I would consider an abortion.
However if those circumstances were different then maybe my answer would be different.
Reply 17
I honestly don't know what I'd do, thankfully I've never been in that situation.
Reply 18
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
I started university in September 2004. In January 2005, at just turned 21, I found out I was pregnant. I was gutted. Absolutely bawled my eyes out.

That horrible unwanted pregnancy is now my beautiful clever 8 year old daughter Lydia.

I have no degree to show for myself, but I feel I'm blessed. People make their own choices, that's the one I chose.

That's lovely, I bet she's the best thing to ever happen to you!
Original post by Mel1215
That's lovely, I bet she's the best thing to ever happen to you!

along with her three younger brothers, yes indeed she is :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest