The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by miser
That's remarkable - I just looked it up. I would not have expected his IQ to be so low.

I agree. When I read a biography of him and found it out, I was intrigued. It proves that, like him, you can become a genius without the head start of a high IQ - with pure dedication, practice and repetition you can become better than any genius from the womb.
Original post by KingKumar
I agree. When I read a biography of him and found it out, I was intrigued. It proves that, like him, you can become a genius without the head start of a high IQ - with pure dedication, practice and repetition you can become better than any genius from the womb.

He is truly inspirational.
Reply 62
Original post by kidomo
He is truly inspirational.

He's my only role model - I've worn out the pages of his autobiography!
Original post by itsmarcus
Yeah just took this online IQ test. It says it's accurate and their are other peoples results on there to compare and they didn't get as high as me so that's enough for me. Plus I got high exams grades, probably the result of my high IQ. What I don't get it why isn't my coursework being done and getting top marks? Like seriously I find it hard and boring, shouldn't I be getting top marks if I got high iq? It's like the world is biased towards high-iqued people. I think it's because the majority of people have an IQ of 110 and they're trying to make things suited to their level. what should i do?

I would say join MENSA, but..

well...

#noteventop2percent
36-asian dad.jpg
Original post by Akanai
The percentile certainly matters (for the purposes of identifying who does better on the tests they have taken), but the number itself doesn't, there are tests where 150 would be 99.6% and there are tests where it would be significantly lower.

Yes, that's exactly what I meant
Original post by itsmarcus
Yeah just took this online IQ test. It says it's accurate and their are other peoples results on there to compare and they didn't get as high as me so that's enough for me. Plus I got high exams grades, probably the result of my high IQ. What I don't get it why isn't my coursework being done and getting top marks? Like seriously I find it hard and boring, shouldn't I be getting top marks if I got high iq? It's like the world is biased towards high-iqued people. I think it's because the majority of people have an IQ of 110 and they're trying to make things suited to their level. what should i do?

:rofl:

Clearly not actually that smart if you're taking that at face value :lol:
Reply 66
This guy makes me laugh lol. IQ of 127 isn't even considered gifted mate :wink: few of my friends have 136 and my average over four tests is close to 140, still don't think coursework should write itself though haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'd love to see the TSR average IQ. I wonder how much higher than 127 it'd be..
Original post by LucyTheWeird
I would say join MENSA, but..

well...

#noteventop2percent
36-asian dad.jpg

LOL!
Original post by William Turtle
I'd love to see the TSR average IQ. I wonder how much higher than 127 it'd be..

HIGH IQ is not an indicative of intelligence...
I took an online IQ test a while ago and got 128; now I'm president of Ghana.
Original post by kidomo
HIGH IQ is not an indicative of intelligence...

I know, and it has already been made abundantly clear by three pages of posters. I was just playing on the stereotype. Forgive me for such a grievous demonstration of my ignorance. Seriously, think about it before so quickly jumping on the 'IQ means nothing' bandwagon. And surely it's indicative of some kind of intelligence. Being good at something (patterns and whatnot) that requires thought is certainly what I'd consider intelligence. Isn't denying that a high IQ indicates a certain kind of intelligence just as simplistic as thinking that a high IQ will mean you're good at exams?
Reply 72
Here's my say on this:

1. IQ is not a static number which belongs to you, such as your height. You can increase your IQ easily by just playing around with the tests. Read 18th/19th century literature, learn to program a computer and do a lot of crossword puzzles/sudoku, and I'm sure you can increase you IQ by at least 30 points. People will often retort by saying you're not 'supposed to' practice IQ tests, but this is how people score ridiculous numbers; because they are familair with the problems through past experience. You are not born with the ability to recognize insanely far-fetched patterns, but as you practice and mature mathematically, these types of things will become a breeze. No genius is born, all of them are made. Just look up any random mathematician/physicist you admire and look something up about their focus or work-ethic. All of them worked hard, from Newton to Gauss to Einstein to Feynman. Nobody is born a chess genius, a mathematical genius or an IQ whiz.

2. 127 is not a high number, unless you've not been exposed to these types of tests before. If you do the things I mentioned, you can raise your IQ by 3 standard deviations, easily. Don't just do it for the number, it is actually good for the brain, and being good at these silly questions might help you with the more complicated ones.

3. Don't let the number mean anything to you. Whether it is 83 or 183, it's just a number. Scoring high doesn't make you a billionaire, a fields medalist or anything similar. Do the tests for fun, train your brain but don't give it any sentimental value. And never, ever, in any circumstance brag about your IQ.
> Has IQ of 127
> Finds writing coursework hard
> "OMG why aren't I getting top marks for doing nothing? I'm smart, therefore I deserve the best grades because I'm smart. Seriously, why isn't the coursework writing itself? It should - I'm smart. OMFG the world must have something against smart people"
> You
Original post by Eloades11
So you're aware that trials showing no significant results aren't included in high profile journals?

That's not true at all - if a trial found no correlation in this issue it would be of considerable note to newspapers and journals alike. The fact that "IQ tests completely fail to predict future success" would certainly be taken up by the media - it's not a null result of insignificance at all.

The correlation appears to be there (from all evidence at hand) and it makes perfect sense. All it means is that our Intelligence Quotient tests are not completely useless in measuring intelligence, as far as future success and monetary or corporate or social achievement can be regarded a measure of intelligence among the average population.

Original post by Eloades11
Even you must've heard of the prevention paradox. If you're only looking at evidence suggesting there's a positive correlation, it still doesn't mean it's true. It can't be proven. You can only collect evidence.

What exactly does "even you" mean?

I posted evidence and never claimed proof ... and since you're arguing so much - which to me suggests you aren't happy with something I've written - maybe you should provide some proof to counter mine.

Any discomfort you may feel towards there being a correlation is frankly irrelevant. We want to ascertain whether there is "likely" to be a correlation or not and the answer, in the absence of any more evidence, is resoundingly yes. It is very likely that it is likely for someone with higher IQ to attain higher income and perform better in academic exams.
Original post by miser
That's remarkable - I just looked it up. I would not have expected his IQ to be so low.

Original post by KingKumar

125 is "so low"? (Wikipedia) It does back up the point that these men tend to have IQs just above average. I suggest the spread would be a curve centring on around 120, dropping to nearly 0% having IQ below around 85 but tailing off so that 1-2% would have measured IQs at 160-175, among people who have achieved greatness.

Not sure we can say it was just "pure dedication, practice and repetition", particularly the last - I suggest physical and mathematical understanding, at a basic level, plays a great role in science or maths, whereas understanding of aesthetics and what makes works great plays the largest role in writing, painting or music, but that aimless dedication, without a clear-headed way of trying to find mastery, will not bring someone to this level.
Just because an internet test told you that you have a high IQ, doesn't mean that you suddenly have the powers to do great things. To be honest if you couldn't do whatever you wanted to do before, your miraculous discovery won't change much!
Reply 77
Original post by Big-Daddy
125 is "so low"? (Wikipedia) It does back up the point that these men tend to have IQs just above average. I suggest the spread would be a curve centring on around 120, dropping to nearly 0% having IQ below around 85 but tailing off so that 1-2% would have measured IQs at 160-175, among people who have achieved greatness.

Not sure we can say it was just "pure dedication, practice and repetition", particularly the last - I suggest physical and mathematical understanding, at a basic level, plays a great role in science or maths, whereas understanding of aesthetics and what makes works great plays the largest role in writing, painting or music, but that aimless dedication, without a clear-headed way of trying to find mastery, will not bring someone to this level.

Considering Feynman's genius, yes 125 seems to me to be very low. It would mean that I scored higher than Feynman, and that just doesn't seem right at all.
Feed your ego; that's the most a "high IQ" can give you. I was told that my IQ was 115 at the age of 12. It hasn't given me anything.
Reply 79
lol Ts!! brofist i got 127 as well.

Latest