The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2000
whats a sootie
Rach87
Surrey is where I am now! Lol. Loads of bikes but car drivers still don't see them!

Nick, you need to go further into Wales. :tongue: Where I lived it was quite rural so a good number of 16 year old rode bikes (I was one of 'em :biggrin: ) So mot ofthe car drivers watched out for bike because either they knew a kid who rode or they rode themselves. :cool:

Loads of bikes and the drivers are just blind, but on the way back to essex no problems at all for once, which has amazed me. The 4x4 even spotted me when he thought of moving into me!

Where abouts in surrey. I was in walton, but uni's in essex, so i nip between the two as my bf is at kingston
Reply 2002
Bathwiggle
Where abouts in surrey. I was in walton, but uni's in essex, so i nip between the two as my bf is at kingston

On the border with Hampshire. Between Aldershot, Guildford and Woking.
Reply 2003
bean87
whats a sootie

There is a job in the RAF known as Aircraft Technician (Mechanical) which is split into two groups - Sooties and Riggers. The Riggers deal with anything structural on the aircraft and Sooties work on the engines. :smile:
Rach: Only area of Wales I've not ridden to is south wales... but surely that's enough? :P And I'm not all that far from Guildford. Perhaps a ride-out is in order... when I get chance anyway :s-smilie:
Bathwiggle: Don't be jealous of my Shropshire-sunshine, you'll get your own - you've just gotta be patient :biggrin:
Reply 2005
Nick.Killick
Rach: Only area of Wales I've not ridden to is south wales... but surely that's enough? :P And I'm not all that far from Guildford. Perhaps a ride-out is in order... when I get chance anyway :s-smilie:

Ah, you've been to the good parts of Wales then. :biggrin: . Ride out sounds like fun. I've only got 2 1/2 months till I'm off to start basic training tho.
Well just let me know whenever you're free and hopefully I won't be away or at work :P
Reply 2007
Reply 2008
a quick question on 125's if you'd be so kind..:smile:

Long story short, the test got cancelled after my course!! Rediculous - the examiner had no spare intercome batteries! Sod going that far again for the test (£45 odd of fuel, 5 hour drive and a hotel to boot) Annoying as hell but I've been offered a practically free rs125 which I'm thinking of picking up to gain a shed of practice and to do my test on. I've been told ''it shouldnt matter what you do your test on'' but also ''it has the turning circle of a dog with two feet'' which didnt make much sense :laugh: I'm more concerned with the rebuilds, being a two-stroke. a)how often will it need one, as I'm told the engine WILL go pop, and how difficult are they? Cars I can do, but I've never really tinkered with a bike :laugh: I'm guessing I'm looking at £500 odd for a rebuild if it does go?

is it worth considering a 4 stroke instead? I'm having it for a month tops, and selling it on after I pass, but as I'll be getting a fair bit of use, I might as well get something a bit enjoyable I suppose. Its from a freind who owes me a bit of cash, so I'll just pay him £100 or so for it and pocket the cash when I sell - but I'll hang on to it for practice etc
Reply 2009
i had two RS125's and didnt have a single problem with them. they get a bad rep due to stupid chavs riding them hard from cold and not taking care of them. i used fully synthetic 2T all the time and never rode it cold... if you get an RS125 it needs to be taken care of

it will be a nightmare to pass a test on though i recon... as for 4 stroke 125s, they are slow. end.
Reply 2010
when you say a nightmare, why's that? The turning circle is as wide as a bear I've been told, but someone else said it's not really an issue? can imagine the U-turn

it also seems that as well as slow they're actually more costly to maintain properly?

if its a case of proper servicing and running on the rs, I dont see too much an issue...
Reply 2011
jaw
when you say a nightmare, why's that? The turning circle is as wide as a bear I've been told, but someone else said it's not really an issue? can imagine the U-turn

it also seems that as well as slow they're actually more costly to maintain properly?

if its a case of proper servicing and running on the rs, I dont see too much an issue...

i've never found the turn in the road easy on superbikes, and the RS is a superbike with a small engine. yeah all due to the turning circle. depends how good you are though. if you practiced it loads in a narrow street then maybe you could do it...

they're wicked bikes but yeah will be more costly to maintain. rs125 = fun but pricey. 4stroke 125 = slow and cheap. your call
Reply 2012
Passed/did my CBT t'other day and totally get what all the fuss is about! Brilliant fun, though after only an hour on the road the 125s seemed very slow and unexciting, ah well, they'll do for getting arround for now til I can afford my test and a bigger bike. Just got to spend loads now on keeping safe, jacket, helmet, boots etc etc and then buy a nice little 125.
Reply 2013
Cj-Tj
Passed/did my CBT t'other day and totally get what all the fuss is about! Brilliant fun, though after only an hour on the road the 125s seemed very slow and unexciting, ah well, they'll do for getting arround for now til I can afford my test and a bigger bike. Just got to spend loads now on keeping safe, jacket, helmet, boots etc etc and then buy a nice little 125.

assuming you did the restricted test..? (it may have changed since i took the test) i would advise you get a bigger bike in the first place. something like a bandit 650 or if you're feeling naughty an r6 or gsxr600. dont worry a sausage about the 33bhp restriction rule. you'll save yourself ALOT of money
Reply 2014
bean87
assuming you did the restricted test..? (it may have changed since i took the test) i would advise you get a bigger bike in the first place. something like a bandit 650 or if you're feeling naughty an r6 or gsxr600. dont worry a sausage about the 33bhp restriction rule. you'll save yourself ALOT of money

he said he's only doing a CBT though - he's stuck on a 125 with 13 odd bhp!
Reply 2015
Rach87
On the border with Hampshire. Between Aldershot, Guildford and Woking.

woo lol I live in aldershot now.. Cant say I see many bikes around these parts though really!
Reply 2016
jaw
he said he's only doing a CBT though - he's stuck on a 125 with 13 odd bhp!

ahhh yeah i only just noticed. read too past. do your proper motorbike test sunshine!
Reply 2017
jaw
woo lol I live in aldershot now.. Cant say I see many bikes around these parts though really!

Kool. I live in Ash. I go everywhere on my bike. Al lot more bikes come out in the better weather but you're right. Not many bikers round here... lots of bike shops though. :biggrin:
Reply 2018
Rach87
Kool. I live in Ash. I go everywhere on my bike. Al lot more bikes come out in the better weather but you're right. Not many bikers round here... lots of bike shops though. :biggrin:

lol ah, just down the road.. my ex used to live there! what other bike shops are there? I've seen Mayhem and one other about half a mile down the same road but thats about all I can think of?
Reply 2019
jaw
lol ah, just down the road.. my ex used to live there! what other bike shops are there? I've seen Mayhem and one other about half a mile down the same road but thats about all I can think of?

Depends how far you can travel.

There's Hein Gericke and Infinity Motorcycles in North Camp. There's one in Ash between the Greyhound pub and Co-op. There's Bike Bytz in Yately. There's another one on the road between Fleet and North Camp. There's one in Ash Vale, just over the bridge, next to Pat's Newsagents. There's one on the back road between Ash and guildford.

Latest

Trending

Trending