TSR Motorbike Society Official Thread Watch

Bathwiggle
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
27th april, bookable from 30th march.
keep trying for a cancellation, you never know.

the braking at 31mph is for EU guide lines which is ridiculous, and the reason some has to be off road.

I think the problem is there are idiots who do the CBT and then ignore it all, such as the ones who try and kill me by cutting me up as they can, but the test wont touch them. i think the way to go is make all car drivers do a CBT to try and increase their awareness, so that it *should* reduce the long term riders (and newer ones) getting hit due to idiots in cars.

And on that note im now gonna go down the A12 so my mother can give me my b'day presents. Hopefully the nice drivers are out today.
bean87
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
im so glad i've got a licence. i wouldn't want to do this new test. i hear its a pain in the arse
pompeyspud
Badges: 0
Report 9 years ago
I've got a bit of an issue with my bike. It's a 125 van van, and I've had it since November last year (brand new), so I don't think it's an age thing.

When I try to change from 5th to 6th gear, maybe half the time, a little after the change, there will be a large clunking noise, a lot of revs, before it automatically goes back to 5th. It's like it's going back into the little neutral between 5th and 6th on its own.

Why might it be doing this? Am I changing gear too early? Or not 'hard enough' (like, with my foot?).
Bathwiggle
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
possibly clutch worn, or try adjusting the gear change?

as it sounds like your not getting into gear, so either not putting it into gear properly, (gear change) or clutch isnt working properly.
pompeyspud
Report 9 years ago
It can't be worn already can it? It's a 58 reg and I've barely been stamping on it!

As for not doing it properly, should I be 'lifting' it with my foot harder, or slower or something?
Bathwiggle
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Possibly not changing gear hard enough. I occasionally had that with the bandit, but by adjusting the height of the gear leaver it seemed to go away, as it meant i could move the leaver up more. If that makes any sense. Im sure one of the guys will come and correct me if they have better ideas
bean87
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
has it got oil in it

my ex made that nooby mistake
pompeyspud
Report 9 years ago
Well it hasn't done it for a few days, so I can only assume it's because I've started changing harder. Means I have to concentrate now, who would have thought hah?
jaw
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I have a similar problem on the cg all the time - it was a pain as one didnt do it, the other did!
Bathwiggle
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
ok, stupid question, my bike seems to be leaking oil, so need to top it up. theres two types of oil synthetic and part synthetic. whats the difference?
jaw
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Bathwiggle)
ok, stupid question, my bike seems to be leaking oil, so need to top it up. theres two types of oil synthetic and part synthetic. whats the difference?
its to do with the production really... fully synthetic uses synthesized base oil, where the size of the oil molecules are ideal weight and a consistent size meaning it can last longer being more stable produced more acurately to the right viscocity at different temperatures iirc.. and it also flows better at lower temperatures.. Addatives in fully synthetic oil can keep viscosity levels more constant at different temperatures. they can also include friction inhibitors meaning at lower temperatures, you get a bit more protection at lower temperatures etc..

It also depends on engine age... Not sure about motorbikes, but with car motor oil, the waxy deposits left by standard oil can sometimes cover up leaky seals etc which can be exploited by switching to fully synthetic oil (it can remove build up, and when the oil heats up, it thins and can leak).. part synthetics just a good comprimise between the two. semi doesnt have all the addatives of synth, but can be used on aolder engines without problem usually..
Bathwiggle
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Thanks.

As my bikes leaking oil and i want to check the oil level, the problem is it needs to be turned on, and i come down stairs (having ridden it home for an hour thursday) and its dead. Second time in a week.

So oils gonna wait and i'll try work out why the battery keeps dying instead. Im querying ive reconnected the heated grips wrong as other than that it shouldnt be dying
Nick.Killick
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Oh dear :/ Have you got the heated grips on permanently or something? :P
I'm currently wiring my bike up so the heated grips and other accessories only get powered up when the ignition is on. I'm running A/V cables all through the bike aswell for my bullet cam, then will need to run the power cables for it. I'm still experimenting with camera angles/positions for now though. With luck I won't end up killing the battery on my bike aswell though so will have to make sure I do this properly
Bathwiggle
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
No havent had the grips on for ages

using the multimeter it seems that the battery is fine, got it running for 2 hours, then wouldnt start, then ran it for 10 min and it started first time, so we think its not charging. as battery seems fine.
So either the rectifier, the alternator or theres dodgy wiring, Im hazarding alternator as its surrounded by oil and if thats got low.

I keep meaning to get bf to connect the grips via a relay, but havent had time.

Nick bf say what about a distrubution block and motor relay
Nick.Killick
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Bathwiggle)
No havent had the grips on for ages

using the multimeter it seems that the battery is fine, got it running for 2 hours, then wouldnt start, then ran it for 10 min and it started first time, so we think its not charging. as battery seems fine.
So either the rectifier, the alternator or theres dodgy wiring, Im hazarding alternator as its surrounded by oil and if thats got low.

I keep meaning to get bf to connect the grips via a relay, but havent had time.

Nick bf say what about a distrubution block and motor relay
That's exactly what I am doing
My rear break caliper seized up on me earlier today. The old owner was a 'tard and I'm still sorting out things he messed up. Apparently the rear brake has been partly seized for ages, and it has completely worn down one brake pad but not the other (been feeling really weak since I got it - sorting brakes is on my list of 'to-do' :P) But yeah, today the brake seized closed and though the brakes weren't on too hard it was still grinding quite loudly
Had to take the caliper off and attack it with a lot of oil and a lot of cleaning to get it working again. Got to go get new pads for it tomorrow if possible - but in the morning I'll be going out for breakfast with my dad and little brother (on the back of my dads bike) I'm loving the sun.

I actually got BUGS on my visor today! :woo: Roll on summer :redface:
Bathwiggle
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I know, its really nice weather today, and ive got no bike! We've given it to a garage to sort out the battery problems ass i dont have time.

my father thinks i shouldnt be allowed bikes as i keep breaking them.

bf thought this might be of use to anyone doing relays http://www.canyonchasers.net/shop/generic/relay.php (for once im doing what im told)
bean87
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
beautiful weather today. shame i've got **** all bike confidence nowadays. being hit by 3 cars has taken it outta me
Bathwiggle
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Keep trying, its taken me 3 months to get back up to confidence and i came off by myself. I can imagine how having others try and kill you wouldn't help.

But its worth it.
Nick.Killick
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I think the warm weather may help improve your confidence a bit. So many more bikers out and just better conditions
jaw
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
still jealous of you guys no cancellations have come up and havent managed to get a bike I can ride yet!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1648)
78.78%
Leave (444)
21.22%

Watched Threads