Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've always promised myself the second I get a bike that can go over 55mph, I'm going to budget when buying it at the very least £500 to get great quality gear that will last me for years.

At the moment, have an uncomfortable as hell helmet, cheapish textile jacket and waterproof overtrousers, cheapish padded gloves and some ancient falling apart (but used to be good quality) pair of German boots that a friend gave me.

ReputationRep:
    See, i have good trousers, not leather, but reasonable quality a good leather and textiles jacket, very nice gloves, and horrible body armour, and wear a combination or trousers and jacket, but at 90 i would like a decent back protector and as im still using my hiking boots/... one day i'll do something about them, but i wasn't allowed on a bike by my parents until i had all the gear

Some idiot decided he could outrace a motorbike today on a roundabout, he was to my left, i pulled out, the he decided to go, and stop in front of me. I managed to stop about an inch away from his door. I now know i have really good breaks .

ReputationRep:
    I'm surprised mine haven't insisted I get better stuff considering the huge fuss they kicked up about safety when I got my 125...

Might remember me being knocked off a few weeks and a few pages ago? My cheapish textile jacket has absolutely no marks on it, it's crazy. Jeans, boots and gloves had small scuffs and tears in/on them, and the front of my helmet looked like someone had put an automatic rake to it, but you'd never know the jacket had been across the pavement.

Just makes me more sure I want textiles on my eventual 'dream gear' hah.

ReputationRep:
    When money is no object, I want a leather jacket, as i find them really comfortable, but textile trousers, as i dont find leather trousers appealing..

ReputationRep:
    I got a rather nice Rev'it jacket not too long ago. Mostly leather but also textile parts. SO comfortable, breathable and got a waterproof removable liner so I can at least stay mostly dry if it rains. Gonna get some leather trousers soon though, my textile ones are comfortable enough but I'd prefer the added protection and the knee sliders I keep nearly putting my knee down with my textiles. oops. I've scuffed up my toe sliders enough so want to be getting my knee on the deck now and I'm riding around Belgium on 5th June so want my gear to be top notch. Which is also why my engine is in pieces at the moment, so we can make sure it's in good condition for Europe

ReputationRep:
    right guys, exams will be over soon so i'm looking learn to ride a bike. i plan to buy a wreck of a 125 for the CBT and getting used to riding etc, then take the restricted test when confident etc. i dont really have an overall 'budget' for the process, but i'll certainly be getting myself the best gear i can (to be as safe as i can) with i view to doing the IAM advanced then ROSPA gold.

As for my first 'big' bike im looking at 600ish cc bandits and hornets, from 03-05, which will be limited to the 33bhp for 2 years. Ive got 2 years of NCB driving a car so would like to take advantage of this if possible as hear some companies will accept it. What sort of insurance would you think i'd be looking at?

Thanks in advance!

ReputationRep:
    i would not recommend getting a hornet as a first bike the bhp is nearer 100 i think, i remember trying my dads one when his bike got written off, and it would be silly to restrict the bhp down to 33 on that, where as a bandit and sv are nearer 70bhp, and are considered good choices, still capable of speed, but less likely to shock you with the power. You can also get 400cc bandits which are quite good too, there a lot of fun, even when restricted, my one was far more fun than the sv, but the sv is better when you get to 80 or more.

I dont think you can move your car NCB over.

For the bandit (400cc) TPFT it was about 400£ for me in the first year down to £325 second year, fully comp. The SV i have now is i think £500 fully comp. But i am female.

My bf got a gn250 as a first bike. and i think that was about £400 for him TPFT, down to £350 second year,

ReputationRep:
    A better first 'big' bike is a 500cc parallel twinned engine. If you're set on something a bit more powerful and sporty then an SV. V twin engines like that on the SV have the torque lower in the range so don't lose as much as IL4's when restricted.
    And I've never heard of using your car NCB for your bike. I had 2 years NCB for my car aswell but that didn't help my insurance

ReputationRep:
    There are loads of questions re bikes today.. whats going on!

Mind you its giving me something to do other than play with my bike..

ReputationRep:
    Summers coming - everyone wants to be out on a bike I'm SO close to getting my girlfriend to come out on the bike with me. I've been working to this for ages now
    Heading out for breakfast with my dad in a sec - life is good

ReputationRep:
    Im off to and get to billericay without just going down the A12, i thinking of looking at a map, but just gonna make it up and see.

Well done on getting her to go on the back of the bike.... only my father ever convinced me to..

ReputationRep:
    Nice ride and nice weather today. Saw the shorts and t-shirt brigade out today. Remember people, if you do not want to face the possiblity of skin grafts, put some protective gear on.

ReputationRep:
    really nice here too - clocked up a good 100 miles whilst managing to go absolutely nowhere :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    I got totally lost, took me nearly 2 hours to do what is normally a 40 mile trip, taking 30-40 min, but was a lot of fun! and most of the bikers were nodding too which is nice, i find it a shame when they don't nod back

ReputationRep:
    :lol: sounds like my trip to work the other day. 40 mile trip, an hour late for work after leaving an hour early!

Yeah, been getting quite a few nods today, and there was some sort of biker meet down the road randomly enough, everything from vespa's to harleys..

Found out how to use the lap timer on my bike's computer too needless to say I've just wasted another 2 hours riding around! Wish I got a bike sooner, can't wait to do my full test, thinking of going DAS now (might just do the restricted though being I've got a bike though)

ReputationRep:
    Hey, in the mornings when you first turn on your bikes do you ever find that if you turn the throttle too quickly the engine will splutter and die, this is happening to me but after the engine has warmed properly and has been running for a while. Basically, i've been stationary at the traffic lights and when its time to go the engine will die on me sometimes, has this ever happened to any of you becuase you turned the throttle too quickly?

Also, after having my SYM xs125k since November, i kinda noticed a change almost as if its gotten a teeny tiny bit faster on the acceleration. is this what you call wearing in the bike?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    my bike dies sometimes if I try to start it with too much throttle, I spose through flooding the engine effectively.. It used to die all the time when idleing, and when I'd pull up at lights, it turned out to be simple on mine though - just needed to turn the idle control switch up a little..

did you buy the bike new?

ReputationRep:
    I know what you mean, but you have to really twist it right open for it to bog down. At lights when its cold I just blip the throttle open a touch if I need to get away quickly or if Im in a line of traffic then just open it a bit slower when setting off. As for getting quicker, if it was bought new then yes it will run in after a few thousand miles. By about 3000 miles it should be properly run in, if not sooner for small engines.

ReputationRep:
    yesh, i bought the bike new. can you please tell me what the idle control switch does and how to turn it up or down?

thanks

ReputationRep:
    The idle control allows you to increase or decrease the amount of revs the bike idles.

You need to look in your bike manual and see what your bike should be reving at, the using the idle switch you adjust it. to adjust it on the bandit it was just a dial you twisted anyway

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.