TSR Motorbike Society Official Thread Watch

Nick.Killick
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Very nice ride today, from West Bromwich to London then down to Eastbourne. Some idiots out but nothing that can't be dealt with. Cooked my tyres a bit on some twisties B-) Oops! Run out of tread completely on the centre of my rear tyre so I'm down at my dads to change it, will be putting on new front tyre, chain and sprockets this week and heading over to Belgium for the weekend on Friday. Can't wait! =D
Bathwiggle
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Have fun, im getting new rear brakes this weekend so that i can go round the uk, but its The End of uni on friday, so no sleep, and then Summer Ball saturday, so riding could be fun.
dh00001
Badges: 14
Report 9 years ago
cbt and das booked :woo:
jaw
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
has anyone taken the new test yeat? I'm woundering if its worth getting practice before. It's only a tenner if I fail but just the inconvenience. I'd like to know if its doable on my bike too.. any ideas? don't want to pay for a course, as I'm already a competant rider..
Bathwiggle
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
It might be worth just getting one lesson for them to pullyou up on any habits you've got into.

Talya you need a new bike, it was a gladius, all in pink with matching helmet. The guy on the back didnt look as if he was enjoying it as much as the lass driving
mr_cool
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by jaw)
has anyone taken the new test yeat? I'm woundering if its worth getting practice before. It's only a tenner if I fail but just the inconvenience. I'd like to know if its doable on my bike too.. any ideas? don't want to pay for a course, as I'm already a competant rider..
For the module 1 it may be worth getting just even 30mins-1hour in the actual test site to get familiar with the layout and speed required for the 2 50kph runs.

Also remember observation as if you were on the road.
Cj-Tj
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by jaw)
For what its worth you may as well get some proper tuition. You'll have loads of bad habits and stuff after riding by yourself for a while, think if you tried to take your driving test again, would you pass? I bloody well wouldnt!!!
dh00001
Report 9 years ago
did my cbt today. came off :sad:
massive soft tissue damage to my left leg, major sprains to wrists, left shoulder and thumb and bruising like everywhere. the shock was the worst thing
thankfully nothing worse, still made me feel horrible
Cj-Tj
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by dh00001)
did my cbt today. came off :sad:
massive soft tissue damage to my left leg, major sprains to wrists, left shoulder and thumb and bruising like everywhere. the shock was the worst thing
thankfully nothing worse, still made me feel horrible
Did you pass though?

And were you wearing a jacket, decent trousers etc? Should be wearing them for DAS which I think you said you were going to do?
dh00001
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Cj-Tj)
Did you pass though?

And were you wearing a jacket, decent trousers etc? Should be wearing them for DAS which I think you said you were going to do?
i just have to do some more on road riding just to make sure. few bits that didnt get done today
yea was wearing good kit which definatly saved my skin from being left on the road.
DAS in two weeks, leg should have recovered by then. just hope it hasnt destroyed my confidence
Bathwiggle
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
How did you come off?
At least you were wearing proper kit.
Hope your leg recovers quickly
dh00001
Report 9 years ago
small puddle of diesel on the road. trust me to hit it
Bathwiggle
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
nasty
jaw
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I wounder how severe the high speed avoid is in the test? starting to think for the sake of £10 to book, I might just wing it as I'm having hard luck finding anyone who will just give me mod 1 practice..

glad you're not too battered dh
Cj-Tj
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Need some engine help; very funny behaviour!

Ok, so about 2 weeks or so - maybe more, I ran out of juice. At least, I assume that was what it was - it started again with fresh juice and redex. Put 2 tanks through it no problem then riding back from uni t'other day it started behaving very straengly. Power was lumpy in the mid-range. Filled her up and noticed alot of condensation and water about the filler cap. Didnt suprise me because it had had a couple of nights in the rain. Presumed lumpyness was due to water in the fuel. Run it for about 20 miles since then and power is still very lumpy. Fine on idle, low revs is ok, medium revs are all over the place, particually with the throttle open wide, but also when trying to stick to an economical 35ish - in the middle of a gear. Sort of comes one minuet then seems to load up and die down then that will clear with a burst of power. Makes the bike a ***** to ride and I have no confidence in the bike to filter to the front of traffic lights any more. Cant be sure of getting away ok. At high revs then all is normal. After 20 miles I would have thought there would have been a change of fuel in the lines?

Any ideas? Proablly could do with a proper filter and water trap, might make things easier, but not sure thats the cause at the moment.
dh00001
Report 9 years ago
dirty carbs?
Cj-Tj
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by dh00001)
dirty carbs?
Maybe? Without dismantling it all how can I clean them? Tool box is at home as well so only got a couple of shifties.
jaw
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
would've said that too.. My bikes being a bit similar, bogging down at high revs (7-12k) in first and sometimes second. Going to change the spark plug and give it a general once over today :woo:
dh00001
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Cj-Tj)
Maybe? Without dismantling it all how can I clean them? Tool box is at home as well so only got a couple of shifties.
not sure if you can. to be honest im not sure i would want to do it if i didnt know what i was doing 100%.
Bathwiggle
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
sounds like carbs. If you could fit an oil filter it might stop more dirt getting in and let whats in there come out.

Looking at the hanes manual for my twin cylinder getting to the carbs involves removal of the tank and air filter then getting to them. I remember moving the carbs on the bandit which is a 4 cylinder, that was a nightmare. I wouldnt recommend it without knowing what your doing and having all the tools near by.

I think with that my dad went to a car shop and got a filter that could be attached to the rule line under the tank (you cut the line fit the filter) and that helped a bit. Also check the sparks just in case (gap and cleanliness).
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (192)
18.7%
No (622)
60.56%
Not really bothered about them (213)
20.74%

Watched Threads