The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

passed part 1 today :excited: harder than it looked tbh
Reply 2301
dh00001
passed part 1 today :excited: harder than it looked tbh

nice one. hard bit's out of the way :smile:

I cancelled mine now so I could go direct access instead of restricted :frown:/:smile:

on the plus side, I put a deposit down on an '01 gsxr :biggrin:
Cj-Tj
Right, one for you all.

Coming back from uni, doing about 55 indicated on a 40 limit. Man with a gun sat there and I know he clocked me, there were no other cars/bikes on the road! I dont think it took pictures, just looked like a normal speed gun you see. Went over the brow of the hill and on the far side of some traffic light was a police car with blues and twos on. I turned off at the lights so didnt pass the car. I guess there is the possibility that the man with the gun turned round and snapped my plate, but I dont know if the gun took pictures. No plate on the front (obviously) so what are the chances of me getting points? He took a decent look at my face I think. :frown:

If you purposefully turned off to avoid the police then it was a pretty stupid thing to do, all it takes is for the copper to note your plates as you pass (mind you, not an easy task at 55). I'm surprised you weren't followed tbh as by the way you described it (with no-one else on the road) it seems fairly certain that the car with flashing lights was waiting for you. All I'd say is wait for something to come through your door...
part 2 passed :excited:
Reply 2304
dh00001

well done, you got your own bike yet?
dh00001

Well done :biggrin:
Sachs XTC for the mo'in fo'in win!

My tyres went really flat when we had those 30+degrees temperatures. Just 2 days before Id pumped them up to the maxxx allowed pressure for performance reasons and then I guess the heat caused the air in the tyres to expand or summit and it just...left my tyre mysteriously. Ive pumped them back up a week ago and theyre fine now. Strange.

Im gonna miss my bike at uni.
Stupid car driver today.

I was heading home from my parents, came onto the slip road from the A12, and as there was a car going slowly i pulled into the outside lane, then noticed 200m down the road a car had parked half in the road, half on the grass (bonnet on the grass and the back sticking out half way across the lane. so I thought lets stay in the outside lane. A car comes up behind me and starts tail gating me, so i flash my breaks at him a few times, get past the parked car and pull into the inside lane. he then swerves in front of me and breaks, so i try to pull out, and he does the same again, so i pull in and accelerate a little so he cant do it again, and he starts screaming at me.

This was a 50mph road, i was doing 60, so not slow, and god know what he wanted to do, but obviously letting me get past a car which had broken down wasn't one of them. It was raining, a bendy road and coming up to a roundabout. Why couldnt he just let me past the car then carry on speeding minding his business, rather than trying to kill me and scaring me.

Sorry im a bit annoyed. He went round the roundabout screaming at me (2 lane round about, he signalled right, i was going straight) and kept pulling nearly into me while doing so. gah
Reply 2308
Got a Suzuki GN125 1996 othr week, first bike like - slowly getting gear for it, got decent gloves/helmet for now and using a strong jacket and strong jeans under some waterproof trakkies (Silly but am tryin to get money for safe clothing).

Came off today going round a corner at a T junction, lucky only goin about 15mph - nothin too serious, just was abit dizzy and smashed my wing mirror and front light. Annoys me how always worried about turning corners and now i came off. but apart from that love bikes
rt
Got a Suzuki GN125 1996 othr week, first bike like - slowly getting gear for it, got decent gloves/helmet for now and using a strong jacket and strong jeans under some waterproof trakkies (Silly but am tryin to get money for safe clothing).

Came off today going round a corner at a T junction, lucky only goin about 15mph - nothin too serious, just was abit dizzy and smashed my wing mirror and front light. Annoys me how always worried about turning corners and now i came off. but apart from that love bikes

Go find and empty car park and practice going round corners just to build your confidence up. then you can vary how tightly you turn and speeds.
rt

when negotiating slower speed junctions etc, always look where you want to go rather than at the curb you're about to hit. if you stare at the curb, pothole, oil spill you will hit it.

same with higher speed corners, always look for the vanishing point (the furthest exit point you can see) and you'll be amazed how smooth you can corner. if you're staring 6ft infront of your front wheel you'll turn corners into 50p pieces.

on another note, ive passed module one and two with no formal training with one months worth of practice. i'm currently looking for my 33bhp bike, need to get it quick as i'm being left standing in NSL country lanes by the IAM group im training with!

next goal is IAM test hopefully before back at uni, then rospa before christmas, then track days at christmas :p:
Reply 2311
ahhhhI keep putting off moddy one purely because I was a) gonna go DAS b) I'm not too sure how doable it'l be on the RS! c) I've plum been busy. But have booked it again for the sake of a tenner, not expecting much though!
jaw
ahhhhI keep putting off moddy one purely because I was a) gonna go DAS b) I'm not too sure how doable it'l be on the RS! c) I've plum been busy. But have booked it again for the sake of a tenner, not expecting much though!

its easily doable on an RS, which bits in particular are you concerned about? there seems to be rumors that 125's dont have enough power to get up to the minimum speeds which is rubbish, i went far too fast through the gates on my xr125 which will have much less poke than the RS.

if its the slower speed stuff then ride to the local industrial park on a sunday and use the carparks etc to practice, i rode like 5 miles of figure eights, slaloms, swerves, slow riding and emrg stops! passed with no minors so it must have paid off

if you're worried about the limited steering lock then practice taking wider 'swings' through the cones and practice practice :p:
Reply 2313
crazyjoyce
its easily doable on an RS, which bits in particular are you concerned about? there seems to be rumors that 125's dont have enough power to get up to the minimum speeds which is rubbish, i went far too fast through the gates on my xr125 which will have much less poke than the RS.

if its the slower speed stuff then ride to the local industrial park on a sunday and use the carparks etc to practice, i rode like 5 miles of figure eights, slaloms, swerves, slow riding and emrg stops! passed with no minors so it must have paid off

if you're worried about the limited steering lock then practice taking wider 'swings' through the cones and practice practice :p:

The speed isnt a concern at all, the rs is easily quick enough, its just the figure of 8 I'm not to sure about!

Because I dont have anywhere to really practice and not sure what the layouts like really. It's booked at any rate, so I guess I'll get down to a tescos and get a bit of practice! The slalom I'm not too worried about
jaw
The speed isnt a concern at all, the rs is easily quick enough, its just the figure of 8 I'm not to sure about!

Because I dont have anywhere to really practice and not sure what the layouts like really. It's booked at any rate, so I guess I'll get down to a tescos and get a bit of practice! The slalom I'm not too worried about

have a look at this - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGIzCyiiADY

theres plenty of places to practice, i used a local industrial estate, tesco carpark on a sunday eve and the local train station carpark. doesnt take any looking to find suitable lager cans to use as cones :tongue:
wooop got cbt today :biggrin:
I'm heading off round the UK tonight :biggrin:, hopefully it wont decide to rain like last night, with patches of mist to mess up my visor.
Reply 2317
Bathwiggle
I'm heading off round the UK tonight :biggrin:, hopefully it wont decide to rain like last night, with patches of mist to mess up my visor.

where you off to? lol the weather does not look good! I'm off to Aberystwyth tonight! Hope it stays dry so I can get the rs nice and horizontal
jaw
where you off to? lol the weather does not look good! I'm off to Aberystwyth tonight! Hope it stays dry so I can get the rs nice and horizontal

Hopefully not *too* horizontal :-P
Bathwiggle

get a pinlock visor! they're bloody good, rode through all the storms we've had with no problems at all

Latest

Trending

Trending