Turn on thread page Beta

TSR Motorbike Society Official Thread watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    My free insurance when I bought my YBR was with Lexham

ReputationRep:
    dont spill superglue on your fairing kids, then certainly dont listen to a forum which shall remain nameless suggesting to use paint stripper to soften aforementioned superglue. it really does strip paint nicely

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazyjoyce)
    dont spill superglue on your fairing kids, then certainly dont listen to a forum which shall remain nameless suggesting to use paint stripper to soften aforementioned . it really does strip paint nicely
    whoopsie! how bas is it? at leist it means you can make your own custom design faring. like an R1 i saw in batman colours, he had batman leathers aswell!

ReputationRep:
    well the paint stripper took the glue off no problem, aswell as the lacquer, paint and primer in an instant. as soon as i noticed what it was doing it i wiped it off. managed to get a honda touch up pen, so im slowly building up the layers and t-cutting it back. taking a while but should hopefully disappear without having to dig out the spraying gear and 2 pack paint etc

on another note, anyone know where you can get those footpeg rounded bolts as mine have worn away and now im grinding out the pegs

and another note, sign up to your local IAM group, they may be old, but they can certainly ride and leave the gsxr ******* i mean powerrangers for dead through technical bends, im aiming to take the test before xmas then going on for rospa gold. bring on the all important insurance discounts

ReputationRep:
    Which is the best bikefor first time bike users in UK? I have been driving a 150cc bike in other country for 6 years without any claims but no bike in uk. I am looking for a second hand one. and can someone please tell me how much does it cost for insurance, mot and tax? I am looking for a 300 to 500cc light weight bike any suggestions?

ReputationRep:
    My 400cc bandit as a first bike cost about £400 to insure, tax was 36£ i think, but im a girl. MOT was £25.

BF's GN250 cost £250 TPFT

ReputationRep:
    Hold on there, Ram, you'll need a license first!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Talya)
    Unless he already has a license in another EU country, then I'm fairly sure the license stands over here...
    Otherwise Ram', Talya's right :-P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nick.Killick)
    Unless he already has a license in another EU country, then I'm fairly sure the license stands over here...
    Otherwise Ram', Talya's right :-P
    From his username I assumed he was from some asian country. But we all know assuming makes an ass out of u and me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Talya)
    From his username I assumed he was from some asian country. But we all know assuming makes an ass out of u and me.
    Talya pics from the harwich run are on face book

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Talya)
    LOL yeah I have got the license.....I mean not the UK one I have got International Driving license which is valid only for 1 year in UK. And Yes you guessed right I am from India. I tried for a insurance quote in biketrader and other sites and the cheapest one I could get for my license was 603 pounds TPTF...whcih I dont think is very bad as I am new.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bathwiggle)
    My 400cc bandit as a first bike cost about £400 to insure, tax was 36£ i think, but im a girl. MOT was £25.

BF's GN250 cost £250 TPFT
    Oh i see..........that is sooo ******* Unfair for insurance to cost more for a girl??? Come on where are the equal opportunitites?? lol.......Anyways thanks for the info. How much did your bike cost you? And is it a heavy bike???? I mean I am a bit thin person and I dont want a heavy bike. My old bike was 120kilos which was pretty much ok for me to manage. I dont want to look like a ant riding a elephant lol.........

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ramnaresh_2000)
    Oh i see..........that is sooo ******* Unfair for insurance to cost more for a girl??? Come on where are the equal opportunitites?? lol.......Anyways thanks for the info. How much did your bike cost you? And is it a heavy bike???? I mean I am a bit thin person and I dont want a heavy bike. My old bike was 120kilos which was pretty much ok for me to manage. I dont want to look like a ant riding a elephant lol.........
    im not 100% sure about this but you wont be legal to ride in the UK on an international driving license.

the weight of the bike is pretty much irrelevant, you dont need to be super humanly strong to handle a bike and get it on and off its stand etc, and only you will think you look silly riding, ive riden a pan european (300kg) and once you're moving you forget how big it is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazyjoyce)
    im not 100% sure about this but you wont be legal to ride in the UK on an international driving license.

the weight of the bike is pretty much irrelevant, you dont need to be super humanly strong to handle a bike and get it on and off its stand etc, and only you will think you look silly riding, ive riden a pan european (300kg) and once you're moving you forget how big it is.
    Yeah I am sure that I can ride any bike or car in UK with my International Driving Licence.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I am sure that I can ride any bike or car in UK with my International Driving Licence.
    i really dont think you can, if you're a resident here you can drive yes so long as you've been here for less than 12 months, any longer than that you'll have to apply for a provisional UK license and sit the UK tests for both cars and bikes.

if you're a student over here then different rules apply, however your license has to be from a designated country, which india is not, at this point the rules on motorbikes become vague. check direct.gov here - http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring...nce/DG_4022561

even if you can drive, the insurance for you on an international license will he horrific

ReputationRep:
    Bike cost 700£ . Insurance costs less for a girl, i had a bigger bike... He also put the insurance up by £100 i think

To give you an idea, i'm 5ft 2, and about 10 stone, however i have spent years doing martial arts so have reasonable muscles. So long as the bikes upright you dont have a problem. the bike weighs 170kg or there about apparently

Oh and you can see it in my profile pic, its the smaller gray one

ReputationRep:
    I am 5'2" and have no muscles and my gladius is about 165kgs I think

I am a girl too.

Durrrrrrrr

ReputationRep:
    unless the bike has a centre stand, its weight isnt an issue, and even then its more about technique than strength or weight.

anyone on here have biking buddies of their own age? im 19 and the youngest person i've ever ridden with is probably my dad, and he's 50! all the younger lads round here have death wishes and cant ride for beans, its all about blatting it up to a series of bends, grabbing a fistfull, slowing right down, knee out scratch along and blat to the next bend having got the line totally wrong

ReputationRep:
    Me and Bathwiggle are biker buddies we are taking my bf's new bandit out for a spin in a couple of weeks,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Talya)
    Me and Bathwiggle are biker buddies we are taking my bf's new bandit out for a spin in a couple of weeks,
    are you the kind of bikers that avoid Motorways like the plague and find the twistiest roads to get somewhere?

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.