Turn on thread page Beta

TSR Motorbike Society Official Thread watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey, wow I havent been on here for ages!!!
    how is everyone?

Had my first crash the other day, bit stupid really. was trying to change into bus lane whilst still moving in my lane, truck in front was moving so i thought it was all good.

whilst performing lifesaver over left shoulder truck stops suddendly..me goes into back of truck

Bikes handle bars were twisted, right front indicator smashed, back left indicator smashed, back brake incredibly loose, clutch and front brake lever twisted, with me lying on floor in bus lane.

Ended up with just a bruised knee though as i was wearing gloves and jacket with armour in, no protective trousers just jeans which didnt even rip haha!

I still went to work as well all be it arriving an hour late and with a limp as i rode the bike back to the garage.

was only going at around 10-13mph still scary though.

everytime i ride on that road now i get apprehensive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kookie_4)
    Hey, wow I havent been on here for ages!!!
    how is everyone?

everytime i ride on that road now i get apprehensive.
    :console:

You'll get your confidence up again, it will just take time. When i came off on the m25 (did you know i did) i ended up back on there the following day doing exactly the same thing (filtering), which helped me get past worrying i would come off again.

Jeans dont rip at low speed, but protective trousers do add some padding when you go down.

At least your alright tho, and your knee will heal. How much is it to fix your bike back up? and did the truck complain at all?

Oh, just because i got told this- you might want to increase the distance between you and the other cars, and shorten your life savers.

But your alive and back on the bike this is good

ReputationRep:
    Yeah i was back on the same road the next day changing lanes and filtering its been about 2 weeks now since the crash.

the guy didnt do anything complaints wise, nothing was wrong with his truck not even a scratch, i was actually quite dissapointed. he did get out to check i was ok though.

the fixing was just under £200 pounds

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kookie_4)
    Yeah i was back on the same road the next day changing lanes and filtering its been about 2 weeks now since the crash.

the guy didnt do anything complaints wise, nothing was wrong with his truck not even a scratch, i was actually quite dissapointed. he did get out to check i was ok though.

the fixing was just under £200 pounds
    OOOo thats not nice! i was so glad mine was only £50 when i went into the car.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bathwiggle)
    OOOo thats not nice! i was so glad mine was only £50 when i went into the car.
    what broke when you crashed?

how comes only £50?

ReputationRep:
    3 indicators, clutch and brake and a little on the fairing, but we;ve bodged the fairing, until i have time to worry about it. I'd already got the levers, so it was just indicators. It could have been worse.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    ick, repairs cost lots I also nearly had an accident yesterday. There are some roadworks were you have to wait forever for your lane to go so there was a huge tailback. I was filtering past but didn't quite get all the way down before the light changed so jumped back into the queue. We were nearly all the way round when I hear and see an ambulance trying to come the opposite way. This means all the other drivers in front of me do emergency stops - argh and I start skidding trying not to crash into them. Less front brake next time? Fortunately I swerved round one of them and the skid sorted itself out.

(Original post by Lantana)
    ick, repairs cost lots I also nearly had an accident yesterday. There are some roadworks were you have to wait forever for your lane to go so there was a huge tailback. I was filtering past but didn't quite get all the way down before the light changed so jumped back into the queue. We were nearly all the way round when I hear and see an ambulance trying to come the opposite way. This means all the other drivers in front of me do emergency stops - argh and I start skidding trying not to crash into them. Less front brake next time? Fortunately I swerved round one of them and the skid sorted itself out.
    Oh no

I thought it was front, back then more front for an emergency stop?

I nearly crashed yesterday too, I was driving home from college last night at about 9pm (the time where all the chav's in cars get cocky). I was driving slwly anyway coz it was raining, so wet road and slippery man-hole covers (lots of them) coupled with an off-shore wind when driving along the sea front isn't all that good on a bike. The behind me overtook me which was ok, apart from when they pulled back into the lane, they were literally inches from ym front wheel, and I had to swirve away towards the pavement (where I was heading anyway coz ofthe wind) just to avoid it. Then just around the corner, another car overtook me on a narrowing lane. Stupid *******.

Ahh well, best to get used to it :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lantana)
    This means all the other drivers in front of me do emergency stops - argh and I start skidding trying not to crash into them. Less front brake next time? Fortunately I swerved round one of them and the skid sorted itself out.
    Normally its your back brake that causes you to go (both of my accidents have been rear wheel related) and when i had problems it was the back wheel moving everywhere that caused the problem. Ease on your front brake, then the back, dont jam on your back.

(Original post by Loz17)
    Oh no

I thought it was front, back then more front for an emergency stop?

Ahh well, best to get used to it :p:
    I would say your right on the more front brake.
    You will get used to cars. Just now i ended up kicking one who thought he could squeeze into my lane to get past parked cars. there wasnt enough room (he brushed my mirror!) so i kicked him so next time he might think...hopefully

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bathwiggle)
    Normally its your back brake that causes you to go (both of my accidents have been rear wheel related) and when i had problems it was the back wheel moving everywhere that caused the problem. Ease on your front brake, then the back, dont jam on your back.

I would say your right on the more front brake.
    You will get used to cars. Just now i ended up kicking one who thought he could squeeze into my lane to get past parked cars. there wasnt enough room (he brushed my mirror!) so i kicked him so next time he might think...hopefully
    maybe next time he'll purposefully knock you off. kicking cars is stupid when in a vulnerable position, bit different when you can open it up and disappear quickly, still not cool.

its not really hard to see why cagers hate bikers when people do silly things like that

and yeah, hard on the rear brake and you'll lock and skid, even more so if its wet

at slow filtering speeds rear brake, keeps the bikes weight off the front wheel should you have to turn and avoid something, at these speeds you wont be countersteering so braking while turning the bars isnt good. only use the front to stop quickly when bolt upright and straight

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazyjoyce)
    maybe next time he'll purposefully knock you off. kicking cars is stupid when in a vulnerable position, bit different when you can open it up and disappear quickly, still not cool.

its not really hard to see why cagers hate bikers when people do silly things like that
    And i hate cars who pull out without looking, pull into me, without looking, don't give me enough room as they think i'm not important. At the momment the car drivers near me dont look for bikes, and don't seem to know the rules of the road. And i;m getting fed up of them thinking one lane is enough room for a car and a bike in opposite directions. As its not. And i know the car driver, he;s done it to me 3 times now.

Given he'd already hit my wing mirror... i was working on the assumption he hadnt seen me. there wasnt enough room for him and me, and given i was already in the gap on my side of the road, i'd like him to think.

I'm not thick, I could get out if need be, but cars should treat bikes the same as cars, ie give them the same amount of space or as we do silly things when threatened as we;re not protected.

I have previously chased other cars down the road so i can talk to them about their driving, as it does appear they dont think.

And then i can start on the women in chelsea tractors who sit on the phone and drift between 2 lanes...

Not that i'm fed up of cars at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    Hey people. I am thinking about taking the CBT and then possibly getting a Restricted Licence (I don't intend to use a bike regularly anyway and it's cheaper than Direct).

I don't suppose you could advise me with...
    How much are 125cc bikes brand new and second hand typically?
    Does anyone know if you can take a restricted/direct licence course in parts over weekends? (I can't take time off work during the week).

Thanks a lot!

ReputationRep:
    The Yamaha YBR 125 is around £1800 new. I just sold my 2 yr old one for £1000. hope that helps

Surely you are entitled to holiday at work? Do it then

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Talya)
    The Yamaha YBR 125 is around £1800 new. I just sold my 2 yr old one for £1000. hope that helps

Surely you are entitled to holiday at work? Do it then
    or the SYM xs125 which is very similar to the YBR and is £1499, ive got it.

Hasnt let me down yet. almost a year old

ReputationRep:
    theres also the £1000 ccm one, and its Brititsh
    http://www.autotrader.co.uk/search/r...true?logcode=q

ReputationRep:
    Passed Mod 1 this morning!! Wooooo. Nervous as hell, but just relaxed and enjoyed it. All came together when it needed to, I knew I could do it easily, but with the nerves I had been cocking up all morning. Anyway, all done now. Needed a second attempt at the swerve, too slow. Mod 2 in 2 weeks time, cannot wait. That bit should be easy. Almost time to unleash the beast, despite my instructor telling me he would have "got some practice on it" whether you have a licence or not. :rolleyes:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Eljamaispa)
    Does anyone know if you can take a restricted/direct licence course in parts over weekends? (I can't take time off work during the week).

Thanks a lot!
    Both places where I had lessons did them on the weekends. You should try asking around?

ReputationRep:
    Oh my gosh £1800/1500 for your first bike?! Waaaaay too much. Get a cg125 or sr125 and start from the bottom and work your way up. Get one for around £600 second hand.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by black_mamba)
    Oh my gosh £1800/1500 for your first bike?! Waaaaay too much. Get a cg125 or sr125 and start from the bottom and work your way up. Get one for around £600 second hand.
    I brought my H reg CG125 for £200 :p: - It only needed new forks and a new headlight too - £30 repairs and bam - Roadworthy bike.

ReputationRep:
    beat this, i got my SR125 for free!

it was my brothers though, he got it for £300.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.