Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Talya your in the your money section of the telegraph

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Loz17)
    No. I hate ballet pumps, but I'm not using hiking boot either I used laced, chunky flat trainers

I was gonna invest in some proper boots later on (not really late, asap), and my hiking boots take literally 10 mins to get on. I know I'm risking a lot though but I can't afford it atm :sad:
    I use my hiking books as they do cover. Mine take 10seconds each to put on, i dont unlace them each time, just leave them tied in a box, then twist the top around the hooks. Again with trainers there really isnt the protection for the ankle bone, and it really hurts when you get it (not from experiance, but i do know people who have come off in trainers)

ReputationRep:
    i've got boots that i use for cadets, which would be great on a bike, except they dont have a cover for the gear leaver (im told the boot wares quickly without one), and they are a pain to put on/take off.
    but if someone made one of these, with that gear bit, and zips, they would be perfect - cheap, comfy (on and off the bike), and high leg.

ReputationRep:
    I have the problem that my feet are really wide in the wrong place so finding boots that fit are really hard. But this pair of hiking boots did to work and back for a year, the the leather has worn slightly, but not enough that i have to replace them, instead they need to be replaced as i've gone through the sole. But the gear lever just has left a black patch.

Its freezing outside! i just did my chain and cleaned the exhaust then decded it was too cold to do anything else. The dog wasnt helping, every time i got near enough he kept trying to lick me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bathwiggle)
    I have the problem that my feet are really wide in the wrong place so finding boots that fit are really hard. But this pair of hiking boots did to work and back for a year, the the leather has worn slightly, but not enough that i have to replace them, instead they need to be replaced as i've gone through the sole. But the gear lever just has left a black patch.
    hokay, i might just get something like hiking/combat boots instead then.

Its freezing outside! i just did my chain and cleaned the exhaust then decded it was too cold to do anything else. The dog wasnt helping, every time i got near enough he kept trying to lick me.
    i was going to clean my bike, but decided its too cold, might even put my jacket liner in today :eek:

ReputationRep:
    I rode to billericay alright, slihtly cold hands but wasnt too bad. Its once i warmed up and went back out i had a problem. I'll take a pic of my boots to show you the damage if i can when i get home, its not a lot.

Baring mind with boots you want padding or protection there other than just a layer of leather around you ankle bone, which is why motorbike boots are the best. I use mine due to foot size, and i dont wear any other shoe bar to go clubbing as i need the ankle support

Sorry its so big, the white shiny bit is the damage. basically that bits black and the rest of the boot is brown

ReputationRep:
    Cheers for info guys; what i have taken away is that, i'll probs need at least £1500 in the bank before i even go looking for a bike and gear; but in the mean time i could be thinking about taking a test.

You need your provisional license, motorbike theory test, bike test. you can learn to bike in an intensive course which can take a week (this is how long i did mine in) if you do the bike test you are limited to 33bhp, if you don't your limited to 125cc. YES there is a difference.
    Dont quite understand what would meant by the restrictions...
    when are you limited to a 33bhp bike? after passing the bike test? or am i just being silly as the 33bhp regulations affect the licence holder in the same way as the 125cc limit? I understand that until i have been riding for two years, or am over 21 (so can take the next test) i will be limited to a 125cc bike? (or a larger one with resitrictors on)

just a piccy, but this is what really got me wanting to ride, after having a shot on the back. Its a 1.8l Victory bike from the USA (thats all i know)
    Tbh though, i think i would be more interested in sports bikes; sometthing like (and please dont give me stick) a kawasakii ninja.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Funkachillislap)
    when are you limited to a 33bhp bike? after passing the bike test? or am i just being silly as the 33bhp regulations affect the licence holder in the same way as the 125cc limit? I understand that until i have been riding for two years, or am over 21 (so can take the next test) i will be limited to a 125cc bike? (or a larger one with resitrictors on)
    With a CBT you are allowed to ride a 125cc bike which is 14.6bhp at 17.
    With a full license at 17 you can ride anything which is restricted to 33bhp once- so you've passed your A2 test. So technically you could get a 1000cc bike which is 198bhp normally and restricted it so it is only 33bhp. CC doesn't matter with the full license, only bhp is affected. This goes away after 2 years.

http://www.begin-motorcycling.co.uk/law.htm#licence

Does this make more sense?

Dont start on a 600 ninja, you'll probably kill yourself.. work upwards. My other half started on a gn250, now is on an FZ6, and is so prone to 'playing'. if you dont have the riding experience he'll have killed himself by now, god knows he tried when we bike round the uk.

(Original post by Funkachillislap)

If you take a CBT: You are limited to a 125cc bike (as 17 or over, its 50cc if you were 16) with L plates and no pillions for 2 years. After 2 years you will have to retake your CBT

Standard course (the bike test that Bathwiggle was talking about): You are limited to 33bhp for 2 years (ask for that ona bike before buying it if taking this) but don;t need L plates and can carry pillions if insured too. This can be done as a weeks intensive course, and (according to the two bike schools near me) an be anything from about £300-£500. Before this you will need to take and pass a motorcycle theory test and after two years you can ride any bike you want.

Direct Access course (for over 21's): As standard course but you can ride any bike straight away after passing both the theory and test.

EDIT: She beat me to it :p: but oh well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Loz17)
    EDIT: She beat me to it :p: but oh well
    But good reply. One day people might search instead, as i know i've written that reply out loads..

I use my hiking books as they do cover. Mine take 10seconds each to put on, i dont unlace them each time, just leave them tied in a box, then twist the top around the hooks. Again with trainers there really isnt the protection for the ankle bone, and it really hurts when you get it (not from experiance, but i do know people who have come off in trainers)
    Yea, I dont feel all that safe riding in just trainers :sad: I wish my hiking boots were like yours. I can't just slip then off and on unfortuanatly. Although now its almost constantly raining so the roads are more slippary and windy, I might start taking that extra time to wear them just to be safe.

But good reply. One day people might search instead, as i know i've written that reply out loads..
    Thanks

I bet, as I know the majority of users (including me :p:) come to this thread to ask for advice. I', sure thats the most commonly asked question.

Who is OP? maybe they should have FAQ edited into the first post if this is submitted as a society?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Loz17)
    Yea, I dont feel all that safe riding in just trainers :sad: I wish my hiking boots were like yours. I can't just slip then off and on unfortuanatly. Although now its almost constantly raining so the roads are more slippary and windy, I might start taking that extra time to wear them just to be safe.
    Sorry i'm not trying to force my views on you, but i want everyone to be safe. I've been brought up with the view that the extra 5 min to put on gear/carry out checks, might save your life.

But i literally live in my boots.

Sorry i'm not trying to force my views on you, but i want everyone to be safe. I've been brought up with the view that the extra 5 min to put on gear/carry out checks, might save your life.

But i literally live in my boots.
    Oh no your not pushing views onto me, I have the same views. Its just I haven't had the time or the funds to get or wear safe footwear atm :sad:

It saddens me when I ride into the bike shed at college and a large amount of people are still (in this weather) only having to take hemlets and thin waterproof jackets off. Last week one of these lads' back wheel went on the lane down to college. He was doing what I think was abut 50mph (I was doing 40 and he overtook the car that was behind me and me) as well

I do agree that the little bit would save your life (or your ankle) so I think I might do this now the roads are really slippary.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Loz17)
    I've never ridden not in full kit (except trousers ), even though im using cheap kit, its still better then nothing.
    and intresting statistic i was told on my CBT, if you come off riding at 30mph, you will slide an average of 10m, loosing an inch of flesh every meter.

if you want boots, have you seen these, there not very good, but dirt cheap at £25.

(Original post by Boristhethird)
    I've never ridden not in full kit (except trousers ), even though im using cheap kit, its still better then nothing.
    and intresting statistic i was told on my CBT, if you come off riding at 30mph, you will slide an average of 10m, loosing an inch of flesh every meter.

if you want boots, have you seen these, there not very good, but dirt cheap at £25.
    Yea same, as well minus the trousers. I was begging for an armoured jacket to borrow on my CBT from the instructor :p: That statistic must be valid mainly for those not wearing any protection though? Like the stupid lads who scoot around in t-shirts int he summer.

They look alright, but as long as they have ankle protection then its ok I'll look into them. Maybe eBay would be a good place to look?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boristhethird)

See i was told it was something like 1mm per mile your doing. I think those are similar to the ones my bf got, they didn't last a year, but they were £15, and did provide protection.

(Original post by Loz17)
    It saddens me when I ride into the bike shed at college and a large amount of people are still (in this weather) only having to take hemlets and thin waterproof jackets off. Last week one of these lads' back wheel went on the lane down to college. He was doing what I think was abut 50mph (I was doing 40 and he overtook the car that was behind me and me) as well
    I can never understand how people can ride past october without gloves, or infact, over 20miles and hour without gloves.

I can never understand how people can ride past october without gloves, or infact, over 20miles and hour without gloves.
    Yea same. Well some wear gloves, but they are the wollen ones that you wear when your out walking in the cold :facepalm:

My hands get cold at 20mph with winter gloves at this time of the year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Loz17)
    Yea same, as well minus the trousers. I was begging for an armoured jacket to borrow on my CBT from the instructor :p: That statistic must be valid mainly for those not wearing any protection though? Like the stupid lads who scoot around in t-shirts int he summer.

They look alright, but as long as they have ankle protection then its ok I'll look into them. Maybe eBay would be a good place to look?
    I think its on the basis your just wearing a cotton jumper, jeans offer more protection, gortex more i think, following leathers which offer the best currently. I think thats right. Leather holds in an accident, compared to textiles which sacrifice themselves.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Loz17)
    That statistic must be valid mainly for those not wearing any protection though? Like the stupid lads who scoot around in t-shirts int he summer.
    oh yeah, the statistic is for not motorbike kit, motobike kit you can rely on to protect you :rolleyes:

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.