TSR Motorbike Society Official Thread Watch

Bathwiggle
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Boristhethird)
wouldn't mind one :P

the main thing is how heavey bigger bikes are, and how much worse would it have been if i was on a heavy bike.
it probably an idea to wait till i get my arm back, and then once i get my confidence back, before properley looking at bike. mabe ill even do my test first :yep: :p:
It could well not have been worse on a bigger bike... But one thing to think about- talya going from the ybr to the gladius, shes found her muscles built up quickly. And the extra weight means you can throw it into corners.

Test first might be an idea.
jaw
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
question for you guys about the rs - what temperature should I be letting it run to? I've read 90, but before I did the piston it was generally 60 max, 45 after warm up after turning it on and would take very long to get hotter than that, so am totally unsure if it's acutally heating up more than it should! any advances on 90?? cant seem to find a 'right' answer!
Boristhethird
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Bathwiggle)
It could well not have been worse on a bigger bike... But one thing to think about- talya going from the ybr to the gladius, shes found her muscles built up quickly. And the extra weight means you can throw it into corners.

Test first might be an idea.
thanks, ill wait till ive done my test... really need to get a job to pay for it though.
Boristhethird
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by jaw)
question for you guys about the rs - what temperature should I be letting it run to? I've read 90, but before I did the piston it was generally 60 max, 45 after warm up after turning it on and would take very long to get hotter than that, so am totally unsure if it's acutally heating up more than it should! any advances on 90?? cant seem to find a 'right' answer!
if you have a manual, check that, or if you warm it up untill the wxaust coming out it warm that will be fine, as that shows that the inside of the engine is warm. i tend to start it, then put on my jacket, helmet, gloves etc, by the end of that its warm.
Philosoraptor
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
God are you guys riding? I slipped and hurt myself on a BICYCLE when i was going realllly slowly and not turning or braking at all - so god knows what it'd be like on a motorbike! insane
Riderz
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I certainly aint. ******** to that, too cold unless you get fully clothed in leathers and winter gear.

Sold a bike to a guy about 6 weeks ago who kept a bike especially for snowy conditions! Said he loved going out and kicking the tail around.... rather him than me but he was a seasoned biker, so each to their own.
Philosoraptor
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Also dunno if this is peculiar to my bike - but on ice, using the back brake causes the bike to start sliding to one side, but the front one doesn't...
Talya
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Philosoraptor)
Also dunno if this is peculiar to my bike - but on ice, using the back brake causes the bike to start sliding to one side, but the front one doesn't...
That is correct. Please stop using your back brake so much!!! I learned this a while ago.

I am not riding right now, getting the bus wherever possible!
jaw
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Riderz)
Has anyone got the Ghostrider videos? Been watching alot of his stuff recently and think they would make a cool Xmas present. If you havent heard of him hes pretty famous, or infamous, for stuff like this; :clap2:

he's mad!!! awesome though

(Original post by Talya)
That is correct. Please stop using your back brake so much!!! I learned this a while ago.

I am not riding right now, getting the bus wherever possible!
Although to be fair you definately need to rely on it slightly more in this weather! would rather have the rear slip than the front!!
LadySmythe
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Philosoraptor)
God are you guys riding? I slipped and hurt myself on a BICYCLE when i was going realllly slowly and not turning or braking at all - so god knows what it'd be like on a motorbike! insane
I'm still riding. However now college is finished I'm not making long journeys, not often exceeding 30mph even in 40 mph zones and not riding 1st thing in the morning or last thing at night.

Theres no snow where I live, we never get it and when we do it lasts for 10 mins and doesn't settle so has the same effect at rain. I live in my thermals atm so I'm not even wearing leathers, its just my hands that suffer.
Philosoraptor
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Well usually just going slowly, not braking, no sudden movements is enough to not make you slide on ice - this ice literally just being on it made you slide and land on your side.
Boristhethird
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
im not riding, dont think i would be even if my arm worked :p:

2 of my brothers are riding from lands end to lowesoft (most easterly to the most westerly points in mainland UK) all in one night - tonight. their trying to rase money for crises, but i don't think they expected the snow.
heres their just giving page - http://www.justgiving.com/AvisDaftIdea
crazyjoyce
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
biiig crash coming home from nottingham on saturday morning! been in hospital till now with harsh concussion, broken fingers and mega bruises. hit black ice at speed and slid miles and clipped a car waiting at a roundabout. all my dainese goretex was cut off me, wrecked shoei lid, macbook in my rucksack is buggerd, but im fine going to collect the bike later today and depending on the damage declaring to the insurers! if its not worth fixing i'll be putting the blade back to road spec and riding that, restricted,

dont ride below 0 kids!
jaw
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by crazyjoyce)
biiig crash coming home from nottingham on saturday morning! been in hospital till now with harsh concussion, broken fingers and mega bruises. hit black ice at speed and slid miles and clipped a car waiting at a roundabout. all my dainese goretex was cut off me, wrecked shoei lid, macbook in my rucksack is buggerd, but im fine going to collect the bike later today and depending on the damage declaring to the insurers! if its not worth fixing i'll be putting the blade back to road spec and riding that, restricted,

dont ride below 0 kids!
at least you're alright fella, sounds like you could have come off much worse!!
LadySmythe
Report 8 years ago

dont ride below 0 kids!
Ouch, sounds like you had fun :sad:

Glad your ok now though :console:

I've decided now I'm not riding to work, I'll walk if I have too.
Philosoraptor
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago

dont ride below 0 kids!
Ouch mate, yeah seriously, this weather is not for riding. Hate to admit, but in this time four wheels is for once a bonus

Hope you're ok chappy.
Boristhethird
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago

dont ride below 0 kids!
:pinch: outch, glad your alright, good luck on getting yout bike back in 1 piece.

also Philosoraptor, how'd you get a post count of -29.3?
Riderz
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago

dont ride below 0 kids!
Leave the bike at home for gods sake. Its really not worth it. Glad your ok though, insurance will cover bike and gear, so you wont be out of pocket.
kookie_4
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I've taken the bike in to the dealership. It needed the chain and sprokets replacing and some work done on the front suspension but i cant collect it cos its snowing and icing over everywhere . Its been ready to collect since saturday.

I think they charge for storage once it has been fixed, aaah and i dont fancy walking it back though.
crazyjoyce
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
annoying thing was that it only got snowy/icey close to home, so it wasnt worth turning around again. lesson learned though, been driving a car today and that was bad enough.

decided not to go through insurance, the bikes fine, needs a new crash mushroom and the exhaust needs some polishing but fine other than that. as for the gear, yes, it'll be an eye wateringly expensive trip to the bike shop, but my premium wont be loaded for the next million years for both cars and bikes.

another accident that proves good gear is good, not a scratch on my dainese protected bits, my hein gericked hands got ruined!, and my shoei'd head was fine. looking at the new xr 1100, anyone got one?

cheers for the concern though guys, and i reiterate, dont ride when its below 0!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have any savings?

Yes (114)
72.61%
No (43)
27.39%

Watched Threads