TSR Motorbike Society Official Thread Watch

Boristhethird
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Dnator)
So I will definitely be able to keep a bike if I am on campus? The website was pretty useless. Will probably go for an ER-5/GS 500
personally id go for a honda cb500, as the gs500 corrodes quickly, and the er5 vibrates and the exhaust whistles.
my brother has a cb500, and finds it fine for most things (and its nice and reliable), and there are spares all over the place (as there used in training schools).
Dnator
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Boristhethird)
personally id go for a honda cb500, as the gs500 corrodes quickly, and the er5 vibrates and the exhaust whistles.
my brother has a cb500, and finds it fine for most things (and its nice and reliable), and there are spares all over the place (as there used in training schools).
If I am honest it is whatever I can get at the time for <1000. Will need to get it restricted too.
Boristhethird
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Dnator)
If I am honest it is whatever I can get at the time for <1000. Will need to get it restricted too.
i know someone selling a cb500 for about £1000 in September :p:, its 33bhp and all!

just be careful about bent forks, that a common problem with ex-training school bikes.
Riderz
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Fine as a learner bike, boring though once you've passed.

You will defiantly be able to keep a bike on campus, whether or not you can keep it quite outside your halls I dont know. It depends which halls you go for, how cool the warden is, and how much you want to risk placing it near where drunken freshers will be walking back from the union. I sense a "Wow, a motorbike, lets sit on it and push it around campus" moment or 2.
Talya
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Oi!! Nowt wrong with a gs :-D rode up to Leicester from soton on mine on fri and we had a lovely time! Just look after it properly and it won't corrode
Motorbiker
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Just rode back 35 miles from my friends house to mine at half 8 on easter sunday...

Took me 27 minutes...

Riderz will be happy to know that i've grown some balls and redlined my fazer in 3rd and 4th, couldn't manage it in top gear, i did try though, not enough power to do it now it's restricted and gearing hasn't been changed....

Easter morning at 8:30, no cars anywhere, was a right laugh.
div curl F = 0
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Well I've been back out on my GPX after I received my new indicator and gear shifter yesterday morning. Clocked up 100 miles over 3 outings on it, just riding around, getting in some motorway miles along the way. I'm not used to such good mpg driving a V6 car around and I'm also not used to the monumental acceleration it has, apparently back in the day the ZX600 was the best 600 engine around (going off an old article in "Ride" ). I think I'll give it a full service within the next month and balance the carbs, hopefully that should free up some extra power and make the economy that little bit better.
Flipsta
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
How do I join this society? lol

I've owned 3 bikes, 2 mopeds and got my yamaha DT late last year. you can check my bike out by clicking 'My Baby' in my signature.

I made the custom decals myself on photoshop and printed them in Germany. I made all the measurements to fit perfectly etc so its come out very well .
Riderz
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Hmm... so my new lid finally arrived and Ive had an hour back out on the bike. Aside from getting lots of false neutrals because my ankle isnt better yet, im not sure if the bike has the same feel as it did before. It was a very spirited ride round some nice back roads, but through the corners im not sure.... Might be because the last time I was on it was 3 weeks ago and on a track, and I just need to readjust, or because im a bit nervous in case ive bent something and not known about it. I'll use it for more everyday journies and see if I get a bit happier on her again, but at the moment im not comfortable for some reason.

Hmm....
Motorbiker
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Flipsta)

I dunno how to "join the society" as the first post hasn't been editing in about 3 years.

It's just used as a place to chat about bikes...
Also, all the people i see post aren't "official members" in that post so i wouldn't worry.
Also nice bike, cool decals and it's very clean.

The pics of my bike were taken about a year ago, before i even owned it and it looks good there but at the moment a lot of the engine/forks/rad cover could do with a good lick of paint.

Has to use it every week,to work and back.
Bathwiggle
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Riderz)
im not sure if the bike has the same feel as it did before. It was a very spirited ride round some nice back roads, but through the corners im not sure.... Might be because the last time I was on it was 3 weeks ago and on a track, and I just need to readjust, or because im a bit nervous in case ive bent something and not known about it. I'll use it for more everyday journies and see if I get a bit happier on her again, but at the moment im not comfortable for some reason.

Hmm....
Could it be lack of confidence, i know after my offs it took a while to get back to where i was, it took me long enough to get confident getting the bike past 70 after i lost the back wheel, as i was scared it would happen again.

The founder left ages ago i think. Generally we just post on the thread and talk bikes regardless
Flipsta
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by MHorman)
I dunno how to "join the society" as the first post hasn't been editing in about 3 years.

It's just used as a place to chat about bikes...
Also, all the people i see post aren't "official members" in that post so i wouldn't worry.
Also nice bike, cool decals and it's very clean.

The pics of my bike were taken about a year ago, before i even owned it and it looks good there but at the moment a lot of the engine/forks/rad cover could do with a good lick of paint.

Has to use it every week,to work and back.
I clean it at least 2ce a month and normally 1ce a week plus whenever else it gets muddy.

I want to take care of it as much as possible as parts are so easy to rust on scramblers. I might get a Depp exhaust or something sooner or later but at the moment I cant afford anything big. I'm getting some handguards and changing the grips. I'm focusing more on the look since I cant afford any body parts =/
Riderz
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Bathwiggle)
Could it be lack of confidence, i know after my offs it took a while to get back to where i was, it took me long enough to get confident getting the bike past 70 after i lost the back wheel, as i was scared it would happen again.
Possibly confidence. Certainly no problems going past 70 though!
Motorbiker
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I clean it at least 2ce a month and normally 1ce a week plus whenever else it gets muddy.

I want to take care of it as much as possible as parts are so easy to rust on scramblers. I might get a Depp exhaust or something sooner or later but at the moment I cant afford anything big. I'm getting some handguards and changing the grips. I'm focusing more on the look since I cant afford any body parts =/
I try to clean it as much as poss but hard when getting back from work at 10pm sunday, not gonna start cleaning it then and then i have college for 5 days, sometimes it's gets cleaned on saturdays or the odd evening but a lot of the time it sits there rusting away....
Bathwiggle
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Riderz)
Possibly confidence. Certainly no problems going past 70 though!
You wouldn't . But i was slightly surprised at the back wheel coming to see me when i was doing 40, and was lucky to detach from bike, i didn't want it to happen at a higher speed.
Boristhethird
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago

that reminds me, i never finished cleaning my bike, after i sprayed oil all over it :oops:
i rode off without putting the oil cap back on, noticed 20 miles later, and went looking, even had to use a cork to fill the hole so i could get home. turns out it was in a little hole just behind my engine.
Bathwiggle
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Someone brought that lovely bike that was on ebay!
Motorbiker
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Bathwiggle)
Someone brought that lovely bike that was on ebay!
Not the girly pink-mobile bike?

How much did it go for in the end?
Boristhethird
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by MHorman)
Not the girly pink-mobile bike?

How much did it go for in the end?
wasn't sold through ebay, no-one biddied on the ebay listing :hehe:

it was listed as sports touring, really? i thought SVs where more of sports bikes, ive also seen a gs500f sold as sports touring, is that just what people put when they cant work out the breed of bike :p:
Motorbiker
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
wasn't sold through ebay, no-one biddied on the ebay listing :hehe:

it was listed as sports touring, really? i thought SVs where more of sports bikes, ive also seen a gs500f sold as sports touring, is that just what people put when they cant work out the breed of bike :p:

Lol, i had the same problem when i sold my old 1990 GPZ500s.

I had a search and other people had put them between touring(WHAT?), sports touring and sports. I had no idea because it's an old bike so it's confusing ....

Meh, i got £400 for it on ebay when i only bought it for £150.:woo:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (52)
29.89%
No - I got the required grades (100)
57.47%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (22)
12.64%

Watched Threads