Turn on thread page Beta

TSR Motorbike Society Official Thread watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    You should be fine with regards to insurance. Its a pretty common problem although make sure they dont try and say you were speeding, weaving in and out of traffic or doing something else which might be seen as proportioning blame to yourself. If you go over to the PistonHeads forum, there is a guy there called Anniesdad (think thats how its spelt), real name Steve, who is an accident laywer or whatever he is. Comes highly reccomended if the other party start playing hard ball. If they just admit liability then you'll be fine. Did the police take statements at the scene?

Oh, and what helmet were you wearing?! Im sorry, but from a 30mph off you shouldnt have been knocked out and I would have expected the visor to hold up better too......

Anyway, the bike will be a write off, so start looking for something similar. Dont accept their first offer and try and haggle for a decent price. That fazer would have been worth maybe £1500, so try and at least that. I bet their first offer will be about £1k though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Riderz)
    You should be fine with regards to insurance. Its a pretty common problem although make sure they dont try and say you were speeding, weaving in and out of traffic or doing something else which might be seen as proportioning blame to yourself. If you go over to the PistonHeads forum, there is a guy there called Anniesdad (think thats how its spelt), real name Steve, who is an accident laywer or whatever he is. Comes highly reccomended if the other party start playing hard ball. If they just admit liability then you'll be fine. Did the police take statements at the scene?

Oh, and what helmet were you wearing?! Im sorry, but from a 30mph off you shouldnt have been knocked out and I would have expected the visor to hold up better too......

Anyway, the bike will be a write off, so start looking for something similar. Dont accept their first offer and try and haggle for a decent price. That fazer would have been worth maybe £1500, so try and at least that. I bet their first offer will be about £1k though.
    I was wearing my arai, think mirror came through the visorm Helmet itsle flooks aboslutely fine.

The Crash bungs looked to have saved the bike, Back end is terrible but engine/frama/front end looks reasonably alright.

Oh and the other guy said he only crept forward then when i braked to avoid him i dropped it so he says it's not his fault.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MHorman)
    I was wearing my arai, think mirror came through the visorm Helmet itsle flooks aboslutely fine.

The Crash bungs looked to have saved the bike, Back end is terrible but engine/frama/front end looks reasonably alright.

Oh and the other guy said he only crept forward then when i braked to avoid him i dropped it so he says it's not his fault.
    You did that from an Arai? Bloody hell..... Helmet will be fooked I should think, if you were out for half an hour must have hit the floor pretty hard. You can get them assessed anyway by an Arai technician who will give you a certificate telling you if its safe.

Having just priced up a load of bits for a Fazer, I know how much bits are! That number plate holder is £70, the back fairings are £60 per side, not sure on how much the middle section, but I would have thought about £40 minimum. Footpeg hanger is £50, they only sell the whole assembly. Exhaust pipe looks to be knackered, that about £250 or so. Thats almost £500 worth of damage from what you can see there.

As for what hes saying, you need a witness statement or police statement really. Have you got anything else which corroborates your story?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Riderz)
    You did that from an Arai? Bloody hell..... Helmet will be fooked I should think, if you were out for half an hour must have hit the floor pretty hard. You can get them assessed anyway by an Arai technician who will give you a certificate telling you if its safe.

Having just priced up a load of bits for a Fazer, I know how much bits are! That number plate holder is £70, the back fairings are £60 per side, not sure on how much the middle section, but I would have thought about £40 minimum. Footpeg hanger is £50, they only sell the whole assembly. Exhaust pipe looks to be knackered, that about £250 or so. Thats almost £500 worth of damage from what you can see there.

As for what hes saying, you need a witness statement or police statement really. Have you got anything else which corroborates your story?
    We have the standrad exhaust still which we can p0ut back opn and my dad is contacting breakers for the bits around the back..

Dunno about any statements or anything i was our for a lot of it then with the paramedics...

My ******* bike won;t stop falling apart. The bar for the back box came on while riding today (was lucky it didn't hurt anyone or hit anything tbh, came off when I was doing 40) and now it struggles to start. It just keeps turning over and over. I assume spark plugs. Any ideas?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Loz17)
    My ******* bike won;t stop falling apart. The bar for the back box came on while riding today (was lucky it didn't hurt anyone or hit anything tbh, came off when I was doing 40) and now it struggles to start. It just keeps turning over and over. I assume spark plugs. Any ideas?
    you have that cheap Chinese one don't you?
    what is happening? could you have a low battery or could it not be charging properly?

i just went for a ride, i dident realise how close i live to country lanes! its brilliant , the only downside was that the bodge on my indicator relay came off on the middle of an unlit road, thankfully i carry pliers and duct tape with me (you need to with a bike in this condition)

(Original post by Boristhethird)
    you have that cheap Chinese one don't you?
    what is happening? could you have a low battery or could it not be charging properly?
    Its wasn't that cheap apparently. I got it 2nd hand for £650 which is cheap but was brought for £1300. I'm never getting a chinese bike again though. I can;t wait to change my bike now really pissing me off.

I thought battery, its not even charging coz thers no room in the garage atm, and I have no idea where to get the cables for my bike to trickle charge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Loz17)
    Its wasn't that cheap apparently. I got it 2nd hand for £650 which is cheap but was brought for £1300. I'm never getting a chinese bike again though. I can;t wait to change my bike now really pissing me off.

I thought battery, its not even charging coz thers no room in the garage atm, and I have no idea where to get the cables for my bike to trickle charge.
    your battery is usually under the seat somewhere, have you tried push starting it?

(Original post by Boristhethird)
    your battery is usually under the seat somewhere, have you tried push starting it?
    Thats pretty much the only way it starts atm. trouble is my engine is under my seat as well so I have no idea :lol: I'd have to look in the manual.

ReputationRep:
    mines towords the back, behind a bit of fareing, then another plastic cover.
    do you have a haynes manual? not rectilinearly necessarily for your bike, as the fault diagnoses is quite good, and not bike specific?

I have no idea whee mine is tbh. I don't I just have the bike specific manual

ReputationRep:
    finding that might be the best bet then, they tend to be good at telling you what's wrong with it.
    where are you? are there any local bike shops that may be able to give you advice (ussally small ones are best for this)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Loz17)
    £1600 still is quite cheap. But chinese quality is generally bad, the new gs500's brakes were chinese (well 2008) and lasted less than a year on many bikes.

If it is sparks, can you get them out, and look, if they are black and oily, then they need cleaning, also you might need to check the gaps in the them.

If its not charging,,, when did you check your oil last, and are you doing long journeys or short ones. I've started turning my lights off to start the bike due to battery issues.

Haynes tell you how to dismantel it, often with pictures
    Your no-where near essex are you? otherwise i'd say bring it here and we could have a play with it. (my bikes in too many bits to ride at hte moment)

No I'm down in Torquay in Devon. There is a little bike shop where I go too and they are very good, if not I'll give my grandad a ring and if hes up to it I'll have the manual down with me and we'll work on it together and see the problem. Although hes still in his leg brace after his accident.

I'm not sure where anything is on my bike as I am the only one at home with one, and this is my 1st one and my only mode of transport (quickly) so I've never really done much mantainance work on it. I usually get that done in a service. Turning off my lights might be a good idea to start the battery, then turn them back on once its done.

I do tend to alternate between short and medium journeys. I go to college 4 times a week which is 6-8 maybe 10 miles there and the same back, then to work 4 times a week which is 2 miles and the little journeys to town and around my town when necessary.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Loz17)

I'm not sure where anything is on my bike as I am the only one at home with one, and this is my 1st one and my only mode of transport (quickly) so I've never really done much mantainance work on it. I usually get that done in a service. Turning off my lights might be a good idea to start the battery, then turn them back on once its done.

I do tend to alternate between short and medium journeys. I go to college 4 times a week which is 6-8 maybe 10 miles there and the same back, then to work 4 times a week which is 2 miles and the little journeys to town and around my town when necessary.
    Regardless of the service, you should be checking the chain tension/oil/tyre pressure reguarly (says the girl whos spends half her life thinking 'i'll do it after this ride, then forgettting)

Oil should be easy enough, normally i realise my bikes low on oil as the battery starts playing up (i know thats awful) it'll be a window, or a dipstick. If its low/run out your recgulator/rectifier can die (think thats right) which means your battery doesn't get charged.

I leave my lights off until i can turn the choke off.

My bike was happy with 6 miles each way so that shouldn't be an issue, how old is the battery?

And what bike is yours?

(Original post by Bathwiggle)
    Regardless of the service, you should be checking the chain tension/oil/tyre pressure reguarly (says the girl whos spends half her life thinking 'i'll do it after this ride, then forgettting)

Oil should be easy enough, normally i realise my bikes low on oil as the battery starts playing up (i know thats awful) it'll be a window, or a dipstick. If its low/run out your recgulator/rectifier can die (think thats right) which means your battery doesn't get charged.

I leave my lights off until i can turn the choke off.

My bike was happy with 6 miles each way so that shouldn't be an issue, how old is the battery?

And what bike is yours?
    Yea I really do need to start learning where everything is. I'm the same though I always say I'll do it then I have to go to work or I need to revise or something like that then it never gets done.

The battery must be as old as the bike, which has just turned 2 years old last month (according to its registration date) and my bike is a Sukida SK125 T-14 (good luck googling it, you will not find anything on it at all)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Loz17)
    Yea I really do need to start learning where everything is. I'm the same though I always say I'll do it then I have to go to work or I need to revise or something like that then it never gets done.

The battery must be as old as the bike, which has just turned 2 years old last month (according to its registration date) and my bike is a Sukida SK125 T-14 (good luck googling it, you will not find anything on it at all)
    battery should do 4 years apparently, so shouldn't be old age.

There are a couple of manuals, haynes do a chinese bike one, or you can pay £20 for a specific. I can find a fair bit, couple of people complaining about the sparks being naff, melted wires, and the spoil sports Sukida requesting the manuals to be removed from online

(Original post by Bathwiggle)
    battery should do 4 years apparently, so shouldn't be old age.

There are a couple of manuals, haynes do a chinese bike one, or you can pay £20 for a specific. I can find a fair bit, couple of people complaining about the sparks being naff, melted wires, and the spoil sports Sukida requesting the manuals to be removed from online
    Thats ok then, I might be draining it coz I seem to forget to turn the lights off (night light not the legal day one) during the day so hopefully that might help if I turn them off to tsrat the bike like you suggested then put them on the day beam.

I have a manual that came with the bike so it won't cost me anything and they do have quite a bit of info in there its just the time and confidence to do it. I am gonna have to definatly check the spark plugs though.

Thank you :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    if the sparks are black, i normally clean them with wire wool, and there is a tool to check the gaps, but it they are too bar, it may be easier just to replace. You may only have one spark

ReputationRep:
    my haynes manuel says to use glass paper (like sand paper but smaller bumps), as you only need to clean the bit where the spark is actually made. i tend to use sand paper though

Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.