TSR Motorbike Society Official Thread Watch

stuw
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by crazyjoyce)
cbr125, cg125 and other stuff, aslong as its yamaha, honda etc it'll be fine, just avoid the chinese or korean crap.

theres a Hein Gericke in manchester which is pretty cheap and pretty good stuff.

reasonably safe helmet from a non showy offy brand, ~£150, by from a reputable shop and it'll have all the proper stamps. you can check on sharp.co.uk
thanks
crazyjoyce
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by stuw)
thanks
cg125 or a ybr125 will be alot cheaper to insure than a sporty cbr etc
Boristhethird
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by stuw)
I am interested in riding a 125cc bike, as it is the only thing I can afford insurance for (except a scooter). I have just got a full car license and understand that you can ride a 125cc bike with L plates for 2 years after doing cbt.

Is a honda cbr125 a good bike to start with,and does anyone know anywhere near manchester where I could buy a helmet / jacket / gloves / boots etc cheaply?

what would I be looking to pay for a reasonably safe helmet and are there any to avoid?

thanks.
(Original post by Loz17)
I think CBR's are often used in training, but I'm not sure on the performance - one of the others here is bound to know though.
thats the ybr thats used in training, the cbr is Honda's sports 125, which from what ive heard are quite good. probably fastest 4-stroke 125. it would be uncomfy on rides longer then an hour or so, and is very small.

as for the kit, the minimum id spend, to make sure you get proper stuff is:
- Helmet £50 (this is the only cheap one id get, it will be noisy, not comfy, but will protect your head, with more expensive you get more comfort, etc...)
- Jacket £100
- Boots £50
- Gloves ~£30
- Trousers ~ £70
you can get them cheaper second hand, but dont buy a helmet second hand - allways new. keep your eye on ebay, and bike forums for things for sale.

as for a shop, most will do.
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?client...CUQtgMwAA&z=11
crazyjoyce
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
i'd also advise reading the previous maybe 10 pages of this thread, the same(ish) questions get asked fairly regularly so other questions are probably already answered! but if you cant find it etc, just ask!
LadySmythe
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Boristhethird)
thats the ybr thats used in training
Oh right, I thought it was coz that was the geared bike used for training where I did my CBT.
Bathwiggle
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
My father took my bike out... and drained it of petrol! A police dog had to take him to the petrol station to get some more.
crazyjoyce
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Bathwiggle)
My father took my bike out... and drained it of petrol! A police dog had to take him to the petrol station to get some more.
hahahaha a police dog gave him a lift, would pay to see that. i assume you mean a police dog van thing :p:
Bathwiggle
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by crazyjoyce)
hahahaha a police dog gave him a lift, would pay to see that. i assume you mean a police dog van thing :p:
I do, its been a really llong day with me stuck inside near the A129 and A130 listening to bikes roaring past while i was bikeless
Boristhethird
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I do, its been a really llong day with me stuck inside near the A129 and A130 listening to bikes roaring past while i was bikeless
if its any help, ive been sitting here trying to get this damn ict cw finished, listening to bikes go past, while resisting riding mine. i wanna go to bed! :yawn:
Motorbiker
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Boristhethird)
if its any help, ive been sitting here trying to get this damn ict cw finished, listening to bikes go past, while resisting riding mine. i wanna go to bed! :yawn:

You think you have it bad i had to spent the last couple of days in hospital then at home in bed watching/hearing other bikes riding in lovely sunshine whilst i'm not allowed out and my bike is all smashed up....

I win...:woo: :woo: :woo:
LadySmythe
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by MHorman)
You think you have it bad i had to spent the last couple of days in hospital then at home in bed watching/hearing other bikes riding in lovely sunshine whilst i'm not allowed out and my bike is all smashed up....

I don't think thats :woo: :no: :hugs: hope you get better soon and the bikes fixed quickly.

Btw what part of Devon are you from?
Motorbiker
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Loz17)
I don't think thats :woo: :no: :hugs: hope you get better soon and the bikes fixed quickly.

Btw what part of Devon are you from?
Up near Bideford, Ended up in barnstaple hospital though, woo... Fun...

I'm pretty much better now, still lovely scars/bruises all over but not too bad.

Bike will take a lot longer however and even then , mummy has said that i'm never ever riding a bike ever again after worryng her like that, lol.
Bathwiggle
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago

I'm pretty much better now, still lovely scars/bruises all over but not too bad.

Bike will take a lot longer however and even then , mummy has said that i'm never ever riding a bike ever again after worryng her like that, lol.
Thats unfair... my mother always forces me to get back on the bike and ride it again.

OOO thinking of that, wonder how riderz is doing.
(Original post by Riderz)
Does your bike feel better yet?
Boristhethird
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago

yeh, but you get loads of sympathy over the next month or so.
Boristhethird
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago

yeh, but you get loads of sympathy over the next month or so.:p:
LadySmythe
Report 8 years ago
Praying my bike starts this morning

Cool, right up north then

Mum's are usually like that, she'd be like that to me as well. The bruises will go down soon and the scars will fade in time so long as you get better.
Boristhethird
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago

my mum was just happy to work as an ambulance, and take me to hospital .
I realise now that i should have called an ambulance, as then it would be recoded as an accident, and they might of got rid of that man hole.

ive just been looking at insurance quotes, and Im cheaper to insure on a 4 year old Hyosung GT250, then my 11 year old sr125.
Riderz
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
OOO thinking of that, wonder how riderz is doing.
Good thanks, I went on some of my "everyday" routes and slipped immediately back into the groove. If anything I have more confidence going through gaps in traffic and filtering than I did before my accident. Went home at the weekend, about a 300 mile round trip on the motorways, bike felt fine, I felt fine. Happy days!
Bathwiggle
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Riderz)
Happy days!
And perfect weather too.

I tried a daytona today, and my feet reach the floor on it (not that i'm short or anything)

The bad news is my sv didn't start so had to jump it. I'm now wondering if the regulators on its way out.
Boristhethird
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
And perfect weather too.

I tried a daytona today, and my feet reach the floor on it (not that i'm short or anything)

The bad news is my sv didn't start so had to jump it. I'm now wondering if the regulators on its way out.
mabe your sv is mad at you for cheating on her :P
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (169)
18.55%
No (555)
60.92%
Not really bothered about them (187)
20.53%

Watched Threads