The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Boristhethird
anyone know anything about the MZ/MuZ skorpion 660? its a XT660 engine in a frame made by MZ.
i found it in my search for a cheap bigger bike, but i was wondering about weather you can get restrictor for it, and what the availability of parts is (except the engine, i can get those bits form Yamaha).

how cheap is cheap? - from LB - http://londonbikers.com/forums/Topic687749-39-1.aspx = bargain
Reply 3661
MHorman
She does speak sense.:yep: :yep:

My bike cost me £1,000, look around and you'll find some cracking bargains...

Pics in sig.:smile:

£1000? Where did you get that, that's amazing. On biketrader they mostly start at 1400.

Where do people think is good for buying bikes? Biketrader seems dominated by dealerships, which are expensive..

Is ebay cheap? And where else is gd?

------------------------------------------

And also, anyone who knows anything about the Kawasaki er-5, can you tell me about it?

Peace x
Boristhethird
nah, you need a motorbike for when your bike breaks down :yep:

My rockhopper cost more than the bandit!! and i've never even had a flat tyre (yes i do use it, although people keep nicking them)
bj_945
£1000? Where did you get that, that's amazing. On biketrader they mostly start at 1400.

Where do people think is good for buying bikes? Biketrader seems dominated by dealerships, which are expensive..

Is ebay cheap? And where else is gd?

Peace x

Look for local adverts in papers , notes in the bike shops, asking people you know with motorbikes....

People that don't know how to advertise easily /cheaply to more people will also not how much their bikes are worth.

And my bike was bought off my brother, we went on Parkers price guide for "good condition private sale"..

It is 12 years old, but looking a beauty.
crazyjoyce
how cheap is cheap? - from LB - http://londonbikers.com/forums/Topic687749-39-1.aspx = bargain

i would love that, but im looking at under £1000, the MZ600 start (on autotrader) at £700
There are 3 MZ 600`s on ebay. I bought one last month - the Mastiff model. As yet I haven`t found anyone that does spares, but mine came with 8 years worth of receipts and previous owners seemed to buy mail order from Grahams Motorcycles of Taunton.
You will get one for about half the price of a Yam 660.
Matureb
There are 3 MZ 600`s on ebay. I bought one last month - the Mastiff model. As yet I haven`t found anyone that does spares, but mine came with 8 years worth of receipts and previous owners seemed to buy mail order from Grahams Motorcycles of Taunton.
You will get one for about half the price of a Yam 660.

wow, that brilliant, have some +reps :biggrin:
i presume (ill check though) that a restictor kit from the xt660 will fit the mz as well.
there's no Haynes manual, but the grahams motorcycles website has all the exploded diagrams, do you think that's enough to be fixing a bike with?
Thanks. Only one left on ebay now. A Scorpion traveller for @£155 but 7 days to go. I think that the diagrams should suffice. As yet, all I`ve done is put petrol in the Mastiff. At only 5'8, it is a stretch for me to get on the bike, but once on, I can get both feet on the floor easily. The Baghira is 3 ins taller, so I'd need a ladder for that. My only gripe is that the fuel tank is only 12.5L so you are looking for a garage after 100 miles. But that is about how long you can put up with the plank of a seat. The exhaust is so high that carrying luggage may be difficult.
I passed my test 30 years ago, so restrictors are unknown to me. Suppose I will have to learn as I am getting my old MZ301 back on the road to give to my daughter for her 21st.
My tamper proof tax disc holder (and new tax disc) were stolen last week. Anyone got any ideas for better security? In London, I have seen that some put a photocopy of the disc, but the cops have said I could still get done for "failure to display".
Matureb
Thanks. Only one left on ebay now. A Scorpion traveller for @£155 but 7 days to go. I think that the diagrams should suffice. As yet, all I`ve done is put petrol in the Mastiff. At only 5'8, it is a stretch for me to get on the bike, but once on, I can get both feet on the floor easily. The Baghira is 3 ins taller, so I'd need a ladder for that. My only gripe is that the fuel tank is only 12.5L so you are looking for a garage after 100 miles. But that is about how long you can put up with the plank of a seat. The exhaust is so high that carrying luggage may be difficult.
I passed my test 30 years ago, so restrictors are unknown to me. Suppose I will have to learn as I am getting my old MZ301 back on the road to give to my daughter for her 21st.
My tamper proof tax disc holder (and new tax disc) were stolen last week. Anyone got any ideas for better security? In London, I have seen that some put a photocopy of the disc, but the cops have said I could still get done for "failure to display".

thanks, I wont get the one on ebay now, i still need to get my test done, and then get the money together.
do you know if they can have a top box? and/or under seat storage?

my tax disk got stolen a while ago, so I dont display a tax disk, as before they will charge you for it, they will check the database and find out that you are taxed. lots of people keep there tax disk in their top box or under the seat, so they can produce if asked.
Zinfandel
So, I'll be off to London in September and I've decided to get back into riding motorcycles (Long story why I stopped involving paranoid ex etc etc but no longer an issue so BIKE TIME!)

Will be used for hopping around the city, the occasional blast into the counties around London and a ride back up north every now and then.

Here's what I've come up with so far.

Honda VFR 800

Honda CB Hornet 600

Suzuki GSF Bandit 600

Suzuki GSR600

Triumph Speed Triple 955i

Yamaha Fazer 600

Thought/suggestions/comments much appreciated!

Cheers

Zinf

I've been away, but as you asked in the soc, i'll reply there.
For london rush hour you probably want a slim naked bike, as they are smaller than the faired.

I've had a 400 bandit and loved it, it was pretty reliable and easy to fix, however if unloved are prone to not lasting winter, something to think of if your keeping them outside.

Knowing someone who loves his fz6 (naked) its reliable, gives the rush of acceleration, and used for commuting, as well as a tour round the uk.

I've always loved the hornet, but can't comment as its too big, but personally i'd go for the triumph. Purely as i like triumphs, and its a bit different.

TO EVERYONE ELSE:

800 miles in a week. I'm slightly tired now.
Bathwiggle
I've been away, but as you asked in the soc, i'll reply there.
For london rush hour you probably want a slim naked bike, as they are smaller than the faired.

I've had a 400 bandit and loved it, it was pretty reliable and easy to fix, however if unloved are prone to not lasting winter, something to think of if your keeping them outside.

Knowing someone who loves his fz6 (naked) its reliable, gives the rush of acceleration, and used for commuting, as well as a tour round the uk.

I've always loved the hornet, but can't comment as its too big, but personally i'd go for the triumph. Purely as i like triumphs, and its a bit different.

TO EVERYONE ELSE:

Thank you very much for the advice. Very much appreciated.

You're right, I honestly don't know what it is about the Triumph. I'm generally not that attracted to it but every time I look at the others I just think BUT IT'S NOT A TRIUMPH!

It's either that or the GSR600 I think.

You've done an 800 mile tour? I can't *wait* to do stuff like that.
Bathwiggle

TO EVERYONE ELSE:

Not bad, i've done about 50...

Although now my bike is back on the road it does than rain 2 days later...

So i did get some sunny riding but now it's back to classic britishness...

And the rain is getting heavier later when i have to go to work... "woo".../sarcasm
MHorman
Not bad, i've done about 50...

Although now my bike is back on the road it does than rain 2 days later...

So i did get some sunny riding but now it's back to classic britishness...

And the rain is getting heavier later when i have to go to work... "woo".../sarcasm

i told you it couldn't rain til today.. I left colchester in sun, about 3 miles in it got so heavy i couldn't see the cars without their lights, then about 10 miles it stopped again. It's not got to billericay yet. I'm hping it'll dry when i head home.

My mothers booked my dads bike in for an MOT on tuesday, and currently its not gonna pass so i'm spending the day helping him apparently

Zinfandel
Thank you very much for the advice. Very much appreciated.

You're right, I honestly don't know what it is about the Triumph. I'm generally not that attracted to it but every time I look at the others I just think BUT IT'S NOT A TRIUMPH!

It's either that or the GSR600 I think.

You've done an 800 mile tour? I can't *wait* to do stuff like that.

My next bike is gonna be a daytona, just saving up for it now. As i like slim faired bikes. Plus i've ridden enough suzuki's for a while

Oh no, thats not a tour, thats just biking, i went to southampton and back, back to essex, between me and my parents, and me and surrey.

Did a 2000mile tour last summer with my ex, that was amazing
Reply 3673
Loz17
Another 125 for now, then in the summer if I have money I'll do the test and get a bigger bike, so that when I com[plete the degree I'm on an unrestricted licence. I wouldn;t be able to get a 600 on a student loan :sad: and going to struggle to do the test. I'd rather take it while my CBT is valid still though.

No reason why not. I got my test, bike etc all while on a student loan. Admittedly I had a very good job over summer, and have a job while im at uni. So that lot, plus student loan is enough to pay for a bike.

MHorman

Turn up low key and just cycle a lot for the first months or....

... turn up by doing a rolling burnout past my accomadation with a big stoppie at the end?:biggrin:

Hmm... lets think. Young women, lad in power-ranger motorbike leathers, some cool stunts and some alcohol on their part.

You wont be able to move for the smell of clunge! Know what I would do..... :wink:
Riderz
clunge!

I can't wait for series 3 of The Inbetweeners.
Reply 3675
0 div curl F
I can't wait for series 3 of The Inbetweeners.

No, me neither. When does it start?
Riderz
No, me neither. When does it start?

I think they are currently filming it so hopefully it should be sometime this summer. Something to look forward to anyway.
Reply 3677
So, funny story

I ran out of petrol in the middle of a contraflow on the M25!!!

Luckily I switched it to reserve and we crawled round the rest of the M25 at 50. You don't know the relief of FINALLY seeing a petrol station after that lol
Talya
So, funny story

I ran out of petrol in the middle of a contraflow on the M25!!!

And after i told you about my father!!

At least you got round :biggrin:

Can someone intelligent find something for me.

Awhile ago i read this : http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/news/397/296071.html

And was wondering who won/awarded. Someone commenting on the other thread about horses being more dangerous reminded me.
Bathwiggle

Can someone intelligent find something for me.

Awhile ago i read this : http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/news/397/296071.html

And was wondering who won/awarded. Someone commenting on the other thread about horses being more dangerous reminded me.

I tried, even asked mother(she reads all this horsey magazine stuff) and she didn't know...

I live very rural with MANY horses, i think we even have 3...

But still, if she takes a horse onto the road then it should be able to take the noise of a motorbike/other traffic, if not then it's her fault for taking an unsafe horse out.....

It doesn't matter that the kid was uninsured whatever... It's not his fault her house bucked and she fell off...

Latest

Trending

Trending