The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

MHorman
I have realised i need a new helmet and new bike trousers...

My old helmet is uncomfortable and doesn't fit properly:frown: Anyone know where i can get a cheap Arai?

My dad has found a good place for bike jeans with removable armour in plymouth but can't remember which bikeshop or what they were called so we're gonna have to drive the 80 mile + round trip to go have a look.

"Woo"

Could you not ring the bike shops and ask what they stock if he can remember the make? I would have thought your best bet for cheap helmets would have been bike shows. and hien gericke aren't doing there sale on arai

My helmets started vibrating madly at higher speeds, so i need a new one too, but i like this one, as it's now done 18months. I think its due to losing weight which i was hoping to put back on but it hasn't happened.
Boristhethird
cheap, and Arai in the same sentence? i though they started at around £300.
have you tried George Whites? just if you do get it from them, buy one that's still in a box, and not on display/for trying on.

Yea, they're around £300, my current one i trashed was my 17th birthday present, my friends that don't ride bikes just didn't understand why they get a car and i get a little helmet... Was hoping someone would know where i could get one for £200/250.. And where/what is George Whites?

crazyjoyce

while you're in plymouth, do the torpoint road, you'll probs know it if local!

What's "torpoint road", not really local, live up north devon...

Bathwiggle
Could you not ring the bike shops and ask what they stock if he can remember the make? I would have thought your best bet for cheap helmets would have been bike shows. and hien gericke aren't doing there sale on arai

Yea, could do, or get dad to drive down so use his petrol then i don't mind the long journey...

Any bike shows coming up? I know there's one in sep and one in jan normally....

Maybe BMF, when about is that?
MHorman
torpoint

the A374, from torpoint to trerulefoot. get the ferry across the harbour from plymouth for 30p, you only have to pay one way!
Reply 3703
MHorman
Yea, they're around £300, my current one i trashed was my 17th birthday present, my friends that don't ride bikes just didn't understand why they get a car and i get a little helmet... Was hoping someone would know where i could get one for £200/250.. And where/what is George Whites?

George Whites are one of the biggest independent dealers in the UK, and by all accounts very good to deal with.

Anyway, cheap Arai? Your wish is my command;

Condors from £200
http://www.helmetcity.co.uk/Condor-Clearance_B231ZM.aspx

Chasers from £250
http://www.helmetcity.co.uk/Chaser-Clearance_B22WHO.aspx

Astro Race from £250
http://www.helmetcity.co.uk/Astro-R-Clearance_B231ZL.aspx

Viper GT from £280
http://www.helmetcity.co.uk/Viper-Clearance_B22WHP.aspx

That viper is a massive bargain, they are over £400 new.

Other place to look is here, which is M&P's discount outlet on Ebay. They dont have a full range on their, just got to hope that they have what you want in your size, but cheaper than anywhere else. Thats where my "new" Arai came from. Replaced it with exactly the same size/model as what I destroyed.
Riderz
George Whites are one of the biggest independent dealers in the UK, and by all accounts very good to deal with.

Anyway, cheap Arai? Your wish is my command;

Condors from £200
http://www.helmetcity.co.uk/Condor-Clearance_B231ZM.aspx

Chasers from £250
http://www.helmetcity.co.uk/Chaser-Clearance_B22WHO.aspx

Astro Race from £250
http://www.helmetcity.co.uk/Astro-R-Clearance_B231ZL.aspx

Viper GT from £280
http://www.helmetcity.co.uk/Viper-Clearance_B22WHP.aspx

That viper is a massive bargain, they are over £400 new.

Other place to look is here, which is M&P's discount outlet on Ebay. They dont have a full range on their, just got to hope that they have what you want in your size, but cheaper than anywhere else. Thats where my "new" Arai came from. Replaced it with exactly the same size/model as what I destroyed.

Thanks. I had a small "chaser" before so tempted to pick one up again. Which ones do you lot have?

Is it worth the extra £40 for the viper?Or worth saving £50 by buying the condor?
From the descriptions they all seem the same except the removeable cleanable lining in the viper...

Unless i'm missing something obvious...(Which is highly likely)

Seen the exact helmet i used to have for £249.99 on the ebay site... Hmmmm...
I have to vouch for GW's I was there last week and got a new helmet and jacket for £90, if it was at RRP it'd have been twice that :smile:
Reply 3706
I have an Arai Astro Light. I love it because it's light :biggrin: It's simple and unassuming but I feel protected when wearing it (like a good anti perspirant)

I am thinking of asking for a new helmet as a wedding present though lol
came from a shoei to an arai viper gt. its a decent helmet but sort of wish i got an x-spirit 2 instead
Reply 3708
MHorman
Thanks. I had a small "chaser" before so tempted to pick one up again. Which ones do you lot have?

Is it worth the extra £40 for the viper?Or worth saving £50 by buying the condor?
From the descriptions they all seem the same except the removeable cleanable lining in the viper...

Unless i'm missing something obvious...(Which is highly likely)

Seen the exact helmet i used to have for £249.99 on the ebay site... Hmmmm...

I have a Condor. Does its job, not the quietest thing in the world, but fits like a glove. Depends how much money you want to spend, and what design you like. Just chose whichever one you think looks the best. I dont think the protection is really that different between a viper and condor, the differences are in the comfort, air vents, lining etc. Or go down to HG/GW etc and try on the different models. Then buy online later.
Riderz
Then buy online later.

You spent aaages telling people not to buy helmets online. Whats changed this?
Bathwiggle
You spent aaages telling people not to buy helmets online. Whats changed this?

as long as you try the model on that you decide to purchase i see nothing wrong with this. i tried on the entire arai range to decide on the viper, and to get the design i wanted, they sent it from the warehouse. arrived in perfect condition, very very very well wrapped, i was pleased

its not a good idea to buy helmets blind off the 'net because you think you're a small/medium etc. different models fit differently blah blah
crazyjoyce
as long as you try the model on that you decide to purchase i see nothing wrong with this.

He used to complain about you wouldn't know if it had been dropped in the post. Thats why i'm wondering.

I've no problem with it.
Reply 3712
Bathwiggle
He used to complain about you wouldn't know if it had been dropped in the post. Thats why i'm wondering.

I've no problem with it.

Noooo. I say that you should buy from a shop because that way you get the personal advice and assistance. If all you do is go to HG, look around and decide which one you want then buy online, eventually the bike shop will go bust and you'll have nowhere to go. I bought my helmet online because it was a direct replacement for what I had. Same make/model/size. However, first time I bought it I was willing to pay a bit extra for the advice HG gave me, and as a result Ive bought almost everything ive needed advice with from the same shop. If you know exactly what you want, then yeah of course get it cheapest, but dont use the guys time and expertise then bugger off and get it from an internet shop 300 miles away. What use are they when you want a back protector fitting, or want to know what paddock stands will fit your bike? And NEVER buy secondhand helmets obviously. A new mail order helmet shouldnt have been dropped.
Riderz
And NEVER buy secondhand helmets obviously. A new mail order helmet shouldnt have been dropped.

Ok, i'm sure you complained at me last time i suggested buying online.

What do people do with their old helmets... given i now have 3 sat on my wardrobe?
Reply 3714
Bathwiggle

What do people do with their old helmets... given i now have 3 sat on my wardrobe?

Turn it upside down and use it for a plantpot.
Riderz
Turn it upside down and use it for a plantpot.

So i can have matching plant pots outside my front door? Although i have no plants. Marginally better than my mothers suggestion of a hamster cage

I'm sure someone somewhere told me that some fire stations take them for training. But i don't know who or where it was.
Reply 3716
I've got to buy a new helmet, since I couldn't post my old one back to Oxford from Lebanon. My old one was a Nitro (70 quid in the shop, 50 online). It fit well and had a nice design, but had a ratcet strap which REALLY pissed me off, so irritating on the neck (though it was more practical than a Double-D).

How much better are expensive Arai/Shoeis? They don't seem to do much better than cheaper brands on the SHARP tests, so is it just comfort? Because my Nitro, and the Ducchinni before it, were perfectly comfortable (apart from the Nitro's strap).

And also, can you switch straps easily?

I've been riding 3 months-already on my third helmet :P

Peace x
bj_945
I've got to buy a new helmet, since I couldn't post my old one back to Oxford from Lebanon. My old one was a Nitro (70 quid in the shop, 50 online). It fit well and had a nice design, but had a ratcet strap which REALLY pissed me off, so irritating on the neck (though it was more practical than a Double-D).

How much better are expensive Arai/Shoeis? They don't seem to do much better than cheaper brands on the SHARP tests, so is it just comfort? Because my Nitro, and the Ducchinni before it, were perfectly comfortable (apart from the Nitro's strap).

And also, can you switch straps easily?

I've been riding 3 months-already on my third helmet :P

Peace x

Why you on your 3rd helmet?

The more expensive helmets are generally quieter, more comfortable, and should have more research into the design so in theory better to protect your head.

I only have DD straps, as thats what is generally considered the safest, the ones with a cache can fail. I don't think you can switch the straps, it would probably void warranty and possible affect the helmet in a crash.

AND: Someone who gets through helmets fast than me :woo:
Decided to buy the Chaser small again, same as my old one just a different pattern.

£249, compared to £330 last time.

Been looking into jeans and there are at least 10 different makes out there, confusing....
Reply 3719
Bathwiggle
Why you on your 3rd helmet?

The more expensive helmets are generally quieter, more comfortable, and should have more research into the design so in theory better to protect your head.

I only have DD straps, as thats what is generally considered the safest, the ones with a cache can fail. I don't think you can switch the straps, it would probably void warranty and possible affect the helmet in a crash.

AND: Someone who gets through helmets fast than me :woo:

The first one got broken when I fell off my moped at about 30 mph onto the chinbar. Totally saved my face lol.

Then I got a second one and brought it here to Lebanon to ride, but now I realise posting it home will be too expensive. So I will have to buy a third one.:rolleyes:

Yeh, I want DD, but probs a cheaper helmet. I like Marushin actually.

Pecaex

Latest

Trending

Trending