TSR Motorbike Society Official Thread Watch

Riderz
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by MHorman)
Omg, think today was the slowest i've ever ridden to and form work, including when i used to ride a 50cc Derbi....

I just had no confidence in any of the corners at all, was crawling round them......
Yeah.... you'll soon fit back into it.

Wait til its dry and there is some grip, go and tip it through your favourite corners. Loosen your grip on the handlebars, relax your shoulders and let the bike move around under you. All will feel a bit weird to start with, but once you've dropped back into it will be worth it.

My Arai was more then all the parts on the bike too, but a recent delivery of paint has set me back £125 and it'll be another £100 for my mate to paint it! :mad:
bj_945
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Omg, think today was the slowest i've ever ridden to and form work, including when i used to ride a 50cc Derbi....

I just had no confidence in any of the corners at all, was crawling round them......

I had to ride past where i crashed at the same time of night as well.....

New Arai is t3h sexy though....
Find it funny it cost more than the entire rest of the repairs put together....
Ah, I had the same after I fell off my moped. It's rubbish. It didn't slow me down that much, just made me a rubbish rider-totally unwilling to nip around potholes etc, thinking the tyres would just let go.

Got better in the end though.

Good luck!

Peace xx
Bathwiggle
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago

You'll get your confidence back it may just take time. Took me ages to stop being paranoid about losing hte back wheel in the rain when i first came off. (even though we then straightened the wheel)

Just keep riding. And don't feel silly about slowing for corners, its better than braking half way into them! or failing to take them at all
Boristhethird
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago

I had to ride past where i crashed at the same time of night as well.....

New Arai is t3h sexy though....
Find it funny it cost more than the entire rest of the repairs put together....
i got the same, when i came off, and avoided the area around where i came off for a few months, still haven't been down the road it actually happened in.
your confidence will build up again, then you can go back to going too fast round corners :p:
bj_945
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Boristhethird)
i got the same, when i came off, and avoided the area around where i came off for a few months, still haven't been down the road it actually happened in.
your confidence will build up again, then you can go back to going too fast round corners :p:
Your sig is seriously scary...who is it? ******* crazy :o:
Boristhethird
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by bj_945)
Your sig is seriously scary...who is it? ******* crazy :o:
not sure who it is, i stole it from another forum :p:
someone (jokingly) said it was "shakey from fastbikes in the office", but im not sure who that is...
JacksterD
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Went to the CBT place today, they found a helmet that fits me!

I managed to jump onto another CBT course today but didn't get out on the road. It was me and another guy, but the other guy had been on bikes before so he was much better than me, and it was pretty clear I wasn't going to be progressing onto the road today so I'm down to do some more work in the training ground then hopefully go out on the road and complete the CBT on the 16th.

Can't wait! Some bits were a bit tricky, but I had a really good time today :-D
Motorbiker
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by JacksterD)
Went to the CBT place today, they found a helmet that fits me!

I managed to jump onto another CBT course today but didn't get out on the road. It was me and another guy, but the other guy had been on bikes before so he was much better than me, and it was pretty clear I wasn't going to be progressing onto the road today so I'm down to do some more work in the training ground then hopefully go out on the road and complete the CBT on the 16th.

Can't wait! Some bits were a bit tricky, but I had a really good time today :-D
Not bad, you'll be joining us bikers on the road in no time

I remember my CBT, the guy had double booked because he had forgotten about me, i did book it 4 months before...Lol, for the day after my 16th birthday....

I jumped on the back of his bike up to his house 5 minutes away then straight onto another bike and straight onto the road.
No messin...:yep:

Was good fun that, i'd been riding my derbi up and down my drive and round the area near my barn for the 2/3 weeks before so i was all good.
Chilledice
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I hope I don't end up in Hull, my insurance will cost so much more D:
Bathwiggle
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
If anyone remembers i posted a thread about the lad who'd had his bike siezed as it was being disputed he'd restricted it. Apparently he's had the storage fee's refunded (£200) except theres damage to the bike so its gonna be happening a bit longer
Chilledice
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Bathwiggle)
If anyone remembers i posted a thread about the lad who'd had his bike siezed as it was being disputed he'd restricted it. Apparently he's had the storage fee's refunded (£200) except theres damage to the bike so its gonna be happening a bit longer

I remember! What was the verdict from the police?

Also, I was just looking how much it would cost me to insure a new Ninja 250 (Getting ahead of myself :p:).. It's three times more than a CG125, but then that's to be expected! It's much more powerful and way more expensive.. How much does your insurance cost?
Bathwiggle
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Chilledice)
I remember! What was the verdict from the police?

Also, I was just looking how much it would cost me to insure a new Ninja 250 (Getting ahead of myself :p:).. It's three times more than a CG125, but then that's to be expected! It's much more powerful and way more expensive.. How much does your insurance cost?
I'm fully comp. Just insurance is £250... for the extras, £300 the bandit at 33bhp, a 400, with no noclaims, was £400 TPFT

The bike was apparently tested... and they've claimed its 40bhp, which shows it has been restricted, so he paid the storage and fees and that cost him £220, but they let him ride it back.. which given they are claiming its no in accordance with his license, and therefore illegal.. doesn't make sense and they won't give him proof its over 33bhp. Plus theres damage to the indicator, tank and exhaust. So one of the police has got involved and is trying to find out the full story.

Currently he's been refunded the charges, and new the police guys gonna look into compensation for the damage, wasted time, bad infomation and hassel i think. If i see any more updates i'll put them on here.

edit: bike is apprently 36.9bhp so they are deciding whether or not to prosecute *but* they need to check the paper work and calibration
Howard
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I have a US motorcycle licence (State of Florida) and I ride a Harley Sportster 1200. Does anybody know whether I'd have to take a bike test to ride in the UK or would my FL licence do the trick?
Bathwiggle
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Howard)
I have a US motorcycle licence (State of Florida) and I ride a Harley Sportster 1200. Does anybody know whether I'd have to take a bike test to ride in the UK or would my FL licence do the trick?
Are you coming over as a student or to live permantly? As i think as a visitor you are covered for up to 12 once you enter england, so if you fly home hten that time resets. For a UK license you need to be a uk resident.

If your staying here over 12 months then you would have to do your full test again. i think. I could well be wrong

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring...nce/DG_4022562 might help.
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Are you coming over as a student or to live permantly? As i think as a visitor you are covered for up to 12 once you enter england, so if you fly home hten that time resets. For a UK license you need to be a uk resident.

If your staying here over 12 months then you would have to do your full test again. i think. I could well be wrong

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring...nce/DG_4022562 might help.
Thanks for the info. I'm a Brit but am now a US citizen and have only really ever ridden in the US (apart from some crappy 50 thing when I was 16 in the UK) Just interested to know.

Also, can you rent bikes in the UK?
crazyjoyce
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Thanks for the info. I'm a Brit but am now a US citizen and have only really ever ridden in the US (apart from some crappy 50 thing when I was 16 in the UK) Just interested to know.

you can, but unless you're older than 25 you'll be limited to a 125cc. see here for an example - http://www.doble.co.uk/theDoblesStor...p?playAudio=no
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by crazyjoyce)
you can, but unless you're older than 25 you'll be limited to a 125cc. see here for an example - http://www.doble.co.uk/theDoblesStor...p?playAudio=no
Found another one here. They even do Harleys.

http://www.rental-motorcycle.com/eur...on_rental.html

I'm over 25 - you'll not see me on anything less than a 1000 as a matter of principle.
Bathwiggle
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago

You can, but i think its quite expensive. I wouldn't know as i own 2 bikes so not had a need
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
You can, but i think its quite expensive. I wouldn't know as i own 2 bikes so not had a need
Looks like about 500 quid for a week plus 2 grand damage deposit for a HD King or Fatboy. Not much of a bargain!
Bathwiggle
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Looks like about 500 quid for a week plus 2 grand damage deposit for a HD King or Fatboy. Not much of a bargain!
probably be easier to buy one, insure it and sell it again at that price! Plus you've always got the gamble on the weather
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (192)
18.66%
No (624)
60.64%
Not really bothered about them (213)
20.7%

Watched Threads