TSR Motorbike Society Official Thread Watch

Chilledice
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Bathwiggle)
Is it the chain? only as its easier to check the chain than it be something more serious.

Only reason i say chain was coming back from a 2000 mile trip i could find neutral everywhere, then having tightened the chain (which was really really slack) solved it all.
It seems to be the chain, it's ridiculously loose! I'm just sorting it now (well, after letting it cool down )
Chilledice
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I snapped it! What do I do?! I have an exam tomorrow morning!

By "it" I mean the metal thing that the tightening screw spins round... :'(

http://hondacg125.awardspace.com/chain.htm the piece of metal that screws 2 and 3 are on? Snapped..

crazyjoyce
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Chilledice)
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I snapped it! What do I do?! I have an exam tomorrow morning!

By "it" I mean the metal thing that the tightening screw spins round... :'(

http://hondacg125.awardspace.com/chain.htm the piece of metal that screws 2 and 3 are on? Snapped..

either bodge it and hope it holds up and doesn't destroy other things, or you order the new part and get a lift to the exam.

i'd be inclined not to bodge drive train things, chain could come off and lock up the rear, destroy the rim, flail around, smash your leg up.

edit - i guess you could just re torque the axle nut pulling the rear back yourself, that'd work
Motorbiker
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I say get a lift or a bus to the exam and buy a new part for the bike...
Chilledice
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Ok, the left tension adjuster was still attached, so I tightened that, used the broken stubs from the right (lined up) to ensure the rear wheel was in line, tested the chain and wheel alignment and repeated untill I got the desired result, it now seems to be running better and the alignment seems fine.. I will check again tomorrow morning, if I'm not happy I'll get the bus

Edit:Two pieces of string, a friend, some measuring and a test ride later, my wheels are in line and my chain feels great! I have no worries about getting to my exam tomorrow now! :P
Boristhethird
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Ok, the left tension adjuster was still attached, so I tightened that, used the broken stubs from the right (lined up) to ensure the rear wheel was in line, tested the chain and wheel alignment and repeated untill I got the desired result, it now seems to be running better and the alignment seems fine.. I will check again tomorrow morning, if I'm not happy I'll get the bus

Edit:Two pieces of string, a friend, some measuring and a test ride later, my wheels are in line and my chain feels great! I have no worries about getting to my exam tomorrow now! :P
id still try to avoid riding it untill you replace the broken bits, if your fix fails at speed, it could be fatal.
defiantly don't ride it more then to you exam.

ooh and what exam have you got tomorrow?
Chilledice
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Boristhethird)
id still try to avoid riding it untill you replace the broken bits, if your fix fails at speed, it could be fatal.
defiantly don't ride it more then to you exam.

ooh and what exam have you got tomorrow?
The snapped piece doesn't hold the bike together in any way, it just allows proper alignment of the rear wheel! If I didn't think it was safe to ride, I wouldn't ride it at all, even to an exam (but I appreciate your concern)

And I have human biology (OCR) module one resit , FUUUN!
crazyjoyce
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
all the stress is on the axle and nut anyway, the thread on the tensioner just makes it easier/more accurate to adjust the chain and rear alignment.
Boristhethird
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
The snapped piece doesn't hold the bike together in any way, it just allows proper alignment of the rear wheel! If I didn't think it was safe to ride, I wouldn't ride it at all, even to an exam (but I appreciate your concern)

And I have human biology (OCR) module one resit , FUUUN!
fare enough, i just have visons of the backwheel going wonky and sending you flying

and you have human biology? lucky you ! :p:
Chilledice
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
fare enough, i just have visons of the backwheel going wonky and sending you flying

and you have human biology? lucky you ! :p:
I shall dodge the oncoming bus, if possible
Bathwiggle
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago

Only if you hit the back brake (or in wet in a straight line ) i know this :p:

How often do people check their chains? given chilledice doesn't seem to often enough
Boristhethird
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Only if you hit the back brake (or in wet in a straight line ) i know this :p:

How often do people check their chains? given chilledice doesn't seem to often enough
well ive got to put a new chain and sprockets in, as i kinda forgot to lube ( :ahee: ) this one.
i can also feel when the chain is loose, it gets jerky when coming off/going on the throttle.
Boristhethird
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I shall dodge the oncoming bus, if possible
but if you dont you could explode in a big fire ball, sending ruptures through the Earth's surface, and splitting England into two islands. i dont want this, as the ferries linking them would charge extortionate rates, and i cant afford that. plus it might ruin some lovely roads.

yes im in a 3 year old mood again :p:
Bathwiggle
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
well ive got to put a new chain and sprockets in, as i kinda forgot to lube ( :ahee: ) this one.
i can also feel when the chain is loose, it gets jerky when coming off/going on the throttle.
You should also be able to hear it clunking. I normally check mine every 2 weeks or give it a kick after a ride just to see, lube it every 4 and grease the out side everytime i wash it. (which depends on hw dirty the bike is)
crazyjoyce
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
part of my pre flight checks before every long ride which is usually once a week, tyre pressures, chain tension, oil level, lights and indictors, horn etc

also keep an eye on everything during the week if i commute or whatever on it.

pretty mechanically meticulous, which cant be a bad thing
Motorbiker
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
You should also be able to hear it clunking. I normally check mine every 2 weeks or give it a kick after a ride just to see, lube it every 4 and grease the out side everytime i wash it. (which depends on hw dirty the bike is)
That's probably about the same as me...

Looking to get a scottoiler fitted soon because my dad hs one lying around and doesn't use it, he lost one of the pipes for it though....
Riderz
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Chain gets done before a long ride, or every couple of weeks. Sort of as and when it looks like it needs some.
LadySmythe
Report 8 years ago
Come to the conclusion that I cannot afford a new bike....
Boristhethird
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Loz17)
Come to the conclusion that I cannot afford a new bike....
well that sucks!

how long have you got till the insurance runs out?
XAM
Badges: 0
Report 8 years ago
Hi guys, TSR noob here, just wanted some advice on my (potential) bike situation.

First off, the stats:
I'm 18
No Bike experience at all
Own a driving License & Car

Ok, so here's the plan:
Take my A2 (I think) restricted license now (CBT, Theory, both Modules)

Do not buy a bike for two years (when the 33bhp restriction is up) and then buy a 600 'big' bike. I would restrict the bike for a bit until I get used to the handling/weight etc, then take it off and let rip?

What do you think? I've had every point of view imaginable from the "you're f***ing crazy" to the "that's exactly what I did but I bought a 1000cc".

Pros: Won't have to waste money on a 'small' bike such as a 125 only to get bored of it in a few months
Can use the 2 years to save up enough money for my dream 600
Will be able to take part in various additional post-test training or 'refresher' sessions to keep me in the swing of things
The test is only going to get harder/more expensive so take it now while I have the money/time

Cons: Jumping straight on a big bike is a bit risky
Riding may get "rusty" within the two year period
Insurance at 20 with no experience on a 600 will be extortionate(?)

Obviously as I do not ride it's hard to say whether I'd be totally out of my depth or if it's feasible (safely). Let me just make it clear I'm not a little boy racer who just wants the fastest thing on the road, I have been into cars and bikes ever since I can remember and currently own a relatively high powered car so I wouldn't be getting a bike just to be "cool" or whatever, it's a personal thing I've always wanted to do!

Thanks for any comments in advance!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (76)
27.54%
No (200)
72.46%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise