TSR Motorbike Society Official Thread Watch

Texan88
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Chilledice)
Just saw you're doing pre-med biology (reading your profile! :p: )

You're gonna do medicine?

Just street view'd that.. :drool:

Yes I am plan on being a surgeon :o:
crazyjoyce
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Bathwiggle)
Round me, theres not much that i've found, well the B1022 but its not especially great.

Best route i found with my father was A127, A128, B184 to saffron waldon and then the B1053 back to the A12 and to billericay. Lots of country side and bends.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&so...,0.676346&z=11
thats my riding ground! well sort of, some amazing routes north of saffron walden, heading over to finchingfield
Chilledice
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
He cut holes in his frame, he drilled holes in his tires, appears to have shaven down the sproket spiky bits.. he's obessed with how heavy the bike is so is try to make it lighter.
Oh, I didn't see that.. I just saw him blitzing the bike down a residential road

What a prat.

(Original post by Texan88)
Yes I am plan on being a surgeon :o:
Are you going to be doing your training in the UK or US?
Texan88
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Oh, I didn't see that.. I just saw him blitzing the bike down a residential road

What a prat.

Are you going to be doing your training in the UK or US?
US :cool:

Just noticed you're going into medicine, when are you done?
Bathwiggle
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by crazyjoyce)
thats my riding ground! well sort of, some amazing routes north of saffron walden, heading over to finchingfield
I've given up with colchester, So i'm starting o find routes nearer my parents, i keep ending up near Braintree as i get lost and think 'ooo i know there. Plus talyas mother is up in leicester so if i get really lost i can ring her
mackemforever
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'm finally a member of this club.

Just got my first bike a couple of days ago. Its a Honda Varadero 125, as its the only 125 that I fit on comfortably (and as I only have my CBT I can't have anything more than 125 at the moment).

While it is only about the same as my car up to 40, slower to 60, and tops out at 70, I absolutely love it. I got it on Tuesday, got insured on Wednesday, and have put around 200 miles on it so far.

Gonna keep it till probably the end of my first year of Uni, although I will probably do the next test before that, and will hopefully upgrade to a bigger bike before my 2nd year.

Anybody recommend ways to find good roads to ride? Check the area out on a map first and plot a route, or just ride wherever you feel like and just take a decent map so you can find your way back again?
crazyjoyce
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by mackemforever)

Just got my first bike a couple of days ago. Its a Honda Varadero 125, as its the only 125 that I fit on comfortably (and as I only have my CBT I can't have anything more than 125 at the moment).

While it is only about the same as my car up to 40, slower to 60, and tops out at 70, I absolutely love it. I got it on Tuesday, got insured on Wednesday, and have put around 200 miles on it so far.

Gonna keep it till probably the end of my first year of Uni, although I will probably do the next test before that, and will hopefully upgrade to a bigger bike before my 2nd year.

Anybody recommend ways to find good roads to ride? Check the area out on a map first and plot a route, or just ride wherever you feel like and just take a decent map so you can find your way back again?
this is a reasonable site to use - http://www.bestbikingroads.com/

and make sure you do this to any passing biker

edit: that signal goes for everyone, its going to become the new biker nod! i've given and received many in this last week so yeah, let it be known!
Bathwiggle
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by mackemforever)

Warning of doing your full test before 2012 as they are bringing in silly rules apparently.

I've got best rides motorcycle atlas which i use, plus the triusted method of goig along a road and turning off if a road looks pretty. I've started taking a map, but it used to be i just looked for town names that i knew.

I know i nag, but i assume you've got the gear too?

Ride safely and nod at other bikers Any questions and we're all a friendly (if slightly mad bunch)
Chilledice
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Warning of doing your full test before 2012 as they are bringing in silly rules apparently.

I've got best rides motorcycle atlas which i use, plus the triusted method of goig along a road and turning off if a road looks pretty. I've started taking a map, but it used to be i just looked for town names that i knew.

I know i nag, but i assume you've got the gear too?

Ride safely and nod at other bikers Any questions and we're all a friendly (if slightly mad bunch)
On the topic of nodding.. People on L-plates get frequently ignored by other bikers, don't take it personally!
crazyjoyce
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
On the topic of nodding.. People on L-plates get frequently ignored by other bikers, don't take it personally!
i'd never ignore any Learner, especially if they did the team america wave!
Chilledice
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
i'd never ignore any Learner, especially if they did the team america wave!
I've got to say, I seem to get a lot less nods than my dad does, maybe it's just due to the times that we ride (I'm often commuting, he's often just out for fun) but I'm chalking it down to the L-plates.. Until I get my ninja 250r :drool:

But, from learners everywhere, thank you
LadySmythe
Badges: 19
Report 8 years ago
I've never got ignored, when nodding at other bikers. I even do it while I'm walking down the street and no gear with me!!

And I'm riding with L-plates :p:
Chilledice
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Loz17)
I've never got ignored, when nodding at other bikers. I even do it while I'm walking down the street and no gear with me!!

And I'm riding with L-plates :p:
maybe I just have snooty bikers in my area.. I get about 30% of nods returned.. And no one has ever T.A waved back!...And survived
LadySmythe
Report 8 years ago
maybe I just have snooty bikers in my area.. I get about 30% of nods returned.. And no one has ever T.A waved back!
Whats the T.A wave? :blush: I've seen it many a time but still don't know what it is.

I'm going riding with my grandad this summer up in the moors :grin: when hes finally out of hospital.
Chilledice
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Loz17)
Whats the T.A wave? :blush: I've seen it many a time but still don't know what it is.

I'm going riding with my grandad this summer up in the moors :grin: when hes finally out of hospital.
and make sure you do this to any passing biker

It's a signal for the man with the pube-beard to be rescued by the blonde guy in the film Team America!

Spoiler:
Show
Don't worry, it's just a joke, actually waving like that on a bike would be very difficult, wouldn't it? Yes, it would

* condescending pat on the head*

well done for trying to understand

I bet he's looking forward to it more than you are! What do you guys plan on riding?
LadySmythe
Report 8 years ago
It's a signal for the man with the pube-beard to be rescued by the blonde guy in the film Team America!

Spoiler:
Show
Don't worry, it's just a joke, actually waving like that on a bike would be very difficult, wouldn't it? Yes, it would

* condescending pat on the head*

well done for trying to understand

I bet he's looking forward to it more than you are! What do you guys plan on riding?
:rofl: Ohh that :lol: yea as fun as it would be on a bike its rather dangerous :p:

I'm planning on riding the sukida coz thats sufficient enough to go around the moors with, and hes either riding his Pioneer or if hes done a sneaky trade with the garage he'lll get another V-twin 250 thats been slightly modded to look like a harley. Although my cousin will then get the Pioneer which I am sloghtly worried about coz he's not a safe rider at all. He got hit within one week of passing his CBT, goes off-roading on his scooter and gets speeding tickets. My grandad's looked after his Pioneer so well and modded it so it looks lovely now and I'm worried that my cousin will just ruin it. Its not even fully run in yet!!
Bathwiggle
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I don't nod at people on 50cc's or ones riding like an idiot, but if they are on a 125cc with lplates, or fully geared on a 50cc i will.. Half the people on big shiny bikes don't nod at the moment though.

maybe I just have snooty bikers in my area.. I get about 30% of nods returned.. And no one has ever T.A waved back!...And survived
I thought it was waving your arms and legs at the same time as the ultimate hello to other bikes.

Going round hte uk we had nods, salutes, thumbs up, knees out, waves it really does depend where you are apparently.
Chilledice
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I don't nod at people on 50cc's or ones riding like an idiot, but if they are on a 125cc with lplates, or fully geared on a 50cc i will.. Half the people on big shiny bikes don't nod at the moment though.

I thought it was waving your arms and legs at the same time as the ultimate hello to other bikes.

Going round hte uk we had nods, salutes, thumbs up, knees out, waves it really does depend where you are apparently.

I can just imagine an R1 rider sitting bolt upright, saluting and riding with no handlebars past you.. it's a good image

(Original post by Loz17)
:rofl: Ohh that :lol: yea as fun as it would be on a bike its rather dangerous :p:

I'm planning on riding the sukida coz thats sufficient enough to go around the moors with, and hes either riding his Pioneer or if hes done a sneaky trade with the garage he'lll get another V-twin 250 thats been slightly modded to look like a harley. Although my cousin will then get the Pioneer which I am sloghtly worried about coz he's not a safe rider at all. He got hit within one week of passing his CBT, goes off-roading on his scooter and gets speeding tickets. My grandad's looked after his Pioneer so well and modded it so it looks lovely now and I'm worried that my cousin will just ruin it. Its not even fully run in yet!!
Maybe have a word with him? Say how much the bike means to the family and more importantly how you worry he's going to do himself some serious harm if he keeps riding like he is.. Sometimes just a talk like that can make a lot of difference
Bathwiggle
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I can just imagine an R1 rider sitting bolt upright, saluting and riding with no handlebars past you.. it's a good image
Mainly harley and goldwing riders in scotland, although there were a couple just outside carlisle.

Miserable bloke on a S1000rr today. I was chatting to my mother outside HG, saw him pull next to me so i nodded and said hello, he glared at me and walked into the shop! Obviously being female on a bashed bike means i'm not worth talking to :rolleyes:
Chilledice
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Mainly harley and goldwing riders in scotland, although there were a couple just outside carlisle.

Miserable bloke on a S1000rr today. I was chatting to my mother outside HG, saw him pull next to me so i nodded and said hello, he glared at me and walked into the shop! Obviously being female on a bashed bike means i'm not worth talking to :rolleyes:

Eugh, snobbery is good for no one... It's funny how fast people forget that they where once newbies

Time for me to go to bed, I think. If you see me on here in the next month, please moan at me.. I should be revising and I'm not going to get into uni by riding motorbikes
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have any savings?

Yes (113)
72.44%
No (43)
27.56%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise