Turn on thread page Beta

TSR Motorbike Society Official Thread watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    LOL - well having looked at a few of the previous posts I see what you mean.

It's interesting - on most biker forums we are something of a minority in amongst all the Bandits and Hornets.

Ah well. Here's a pic for a bit of variety. Rounding up wild horses in New Zealand on a 125 Caballero.

ReputationRep:
    looks like a well used bike

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jez RR)
    I dunno... Sometimes it's nice to ride in the dark . Wouldn't fancy it with the old FZS600 candles in jam jars for lights LOL

Great bikes though. I test rode an older one and it was very nice, but prefer the new look myself. From what I recall the older models had a Thundercat engine in them. This one has a detuned R6, which means it's revvy as hell, combined with an agricultural gearbox. Clunk click bang sproinggg. 'They all sound like that sir'.

Thanks for the welcome all. Nice to see so many Fazer fans here.
    Very true about the headlights...

Been looking to put some brighter bulbs in or even the HID kit thing but never got round to it...

Anyone know the costs involved/how to do it??

And the 'old' fazer still revs to 12,800 so it's no slouch, engine is lovely and torquey as well...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MHorman)
    Very true about the headlights...

Been looking to put some brighter bulbs in or even the HID kit thing but never got round to it...

Anyone know the costs involved/how to do it??

And the 'old' fazer still revs to 12,800 so it's no slouch, engine is lovely and torquey as well...
    The Philips Visionplus bulbs are said to be a good upgrade. There's also a mod you can do to bring on both headlights with the ignition instead of the one eyed winking look:

http://web.archive.org/web/200807141...htm#headlights

The lack of mid-range torque is my one criticism of the FZ6. Peak output is at around 11,000rpm. Now you've still got another 3000rpm or so above that, but you really have to thrash it to get the best out of it. 98bhp on the 04 models, but they scaled it down a bit on the later ones and brought peak torque down to 6000rpm. Much more usable.

ReputationRep:
    I passed my driving test

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bathwiggle)
    I passed my driving test
    woo :five:
    now go for a celebratory drive ride!

ReputationRep:
    The Philips Visionplus bulbs are said to be a good upgrade. There's also a mod you can do to bring on both headlights with the ignition instead of the one eyed winking look:

http://web.archive.org/web/200807141...htm#headlights

The lack of mid-range torque is my one criticism of the FZ6. Peak output is at around 11,000rpm. Now you've still got another 3000rpm or so above that, but you really have to thrash it to get the best out of it. 98bhp on the 04 models, but they scaled it down a bit on the later ones and brought peak torque down to 6000rpm. Much more usable.
    The 02/03 "foxeye" model has good headlights. Both come on normally and are plenty bright enough to ride at night with.

The new ones are a bit too much sit up and beg for my liking - more a tourer whereas the earlier ones did have more of a sporty edge imo.

Well done bathwiggle. Now you can keep warm and dry like sensible people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Riderz)
    Well done bathwiggle. Now you can keep warm and dry like sensible people.
    Like thats going to happen. That means i might need to be sensible. Although i am meant to be driving friends to wales at hte end of the summer. So might need to get a car.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bathwiggle)
    Although i am meant to be driving friends to wales at hte end of the summer. So might need to get a car.
    OR get them to learn how to ride motorbikes over the summer and then go on a group ride to wales,

I know which would be more fun

Random bikey news, there are currently about 20 motorbikes at my house, 2 trikes and 4 large motorhomes, lol..

Also, one guy in a van started with a frame and bunch of bits at lunchtime and is building a bike...

They've got front forks/wheels and engine in and swingarm/rear suspension... They say they will have it running tomorrow :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Congratulations bathwiggle!

More good news, I just bought a ninja 250r

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chilledice)

More good news, I just bought a ninja 250r

Nice, Details/pics are needed...

:yep:

ReputationRep:
    Dunno why more students don't have bikes TBH. Theory and CBT and you're good to go. Quickest and cheapest way of getting mobile, and it beats sitting on the bus.

Just back from a 2 hour blast round rural East Anglia myself. Bugs on my visor and a big grin inside my helmet. :cool:

Anyone here a member of RoSPA or IAM? I did the IAM test in a car a few years ago and was thinking of doing RoSPA on the bike.

ReputationRep:
    Dunno why more students don't have bikes TBH. Theory and CBT and you're good to go. Quickest and cheapest way of getting mobile, and it beats sitting on the bus.

Just back from a 2 hour blast round rural East Anglia myself. Bugs on my visor and a big grin inside my helmet. :cool:

Anyone here a member of RoSPA or IAM? I did the IAM test in a car a few years ago and was thinking of doing RoSPA on the bike.
    to ride a 125, you don't even need a theory! Just a CBT.

And bikes are considered cold and dangerous, so most people don't get them!

You should get the older looking one(like mine)...

Much classier...

And YOU ARE ONE POST AWAY FROM 10,000!!!!!!!! Woooo!!!!

Hope your bike gets sorted soon, but hopefuly no bike means more C4/Chemistry revision...:yep:
    Tbh I just want a reliable bike, and some gears to get me used to them.

I am 10,002 now :p:

Its not done yet the wholesaler with the parts are being ***** to say the least.

And you'd think it would, but in reality if I need to go somewhere I need to walk and thus lose about 15 mins of revision each time which all adds up.

ReputationRep:
    Well that's even easier than I thought. I did my theory first as I was all geared up for the test.

I'll be spreading the word at uni anyway - maybe there's already a club or something. But it usually turns a few heads anyway - whenever you roll up somewhere people always end up wandering over and talking to you.

'Is that a Honda then?' (Um, no.)
    '1000, is it?' (600.)
    'How fast does it go then?' (About 150mph. 0-60 in 3.2 seconds.)
    'My Dad/Brother/Uncle John used to have an R1/Fireblade/Hayabusa' (Oh really?)
    'Always wanted one myself, but never got round to it.' (Ah well.)

ReputationRep:
    woo bike thst training today :headbang:

ReputationRep:
    OR get them to learn how to ride motorbikes over the summer and then go on a group ride to wales,

I know which would be more fun
    I wouldn't trust the lot i'm oging with. One girls dad owns boy toys in southend, loves bikes, always been on hte back, would probably kill heself riding it.

If they knew where they were going i would ride

A lot of students don't realise that you can mve stuff with bikes, or thhat it's possible to store stuff on the bike while at uni.

I'm trying to get my brother onto a bike before uni just so he has a mode of transport

ReputationRep:
    So i was looking at my bike today as i needed to do the chain, and thought i know i'll wash it. Found that a jubilee clip on hte exhaust had rusted through and broken so that needs to be replaced.

Then looked at the oil, and its that unhealthy colour again so i should really change that, so might as well do the oil filter.

If i'm doing hte oil filter i should probably do the air filter.

Then i looked at my fathers bike, the chain can't be saved so that needs to be replaced, and the cogs are tired so we'll do them at hte same time. The valve on the bandit needs to be done, anything else i can spend my parents money on while i'm doing a motorbike bit shop?

I'm tempted to order some new fairings while i'm at this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boristhethird)
    woo bike thst training today :headbang:
    *envy*

Go well I take it? :p:

I'm trying to tear myself away from the internet long enough to do some revision for my 2.5hour long computing exam tomorrow afternoon :/
    Tomorrow is gonna be a loooong day for me...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by D3bug)
    *envy*

Go well I take it? :p:

I'm trying to tear myself away from the internet long enough to do some revision for my 2.5hour long computing exam tomorrow afternoon :/
    Tomorrow is gonna be a loooong day for me...
    went quite well, did a few practice runs for Module 1, and im struggling to keep the speed up for the swerve/emergency stop.

although i did manage to take the training school's bike home :ninja:

good luck for your exams tomorrow.

Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.