The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

D3bug
Nice! The keeping of the speed is what I'm most worried about! Is it 32mph? I'm also worried about locking the rear wheel during the emergency stop, I tend to be a little back brake heavy on my cycle and I had to really stop myself using the back brake instead of the front during my CBT! :o:

I assume they let you take the bike, or did you actually go all :ninja: on them? Would love to know how you pulled that one off :p:

thanks, my main problem was keeping the throttle open, when flying towards a big mess of cones :/
and yes, i did ask to borrow the bike, which i have managed to put 110 miles on it in a day, im not actually sure if thats a lot, just sounds like it :p:
oh and ive worked out that YBR > SR (or just a 5yr old bike > a 11 year old bike)

Chilledice

When is your mod.1?

Tuesday i think, not too sure:unsure:

Jez RR
Emergency swerve: it's all in the bars. Go round the cone curve in 2nd (on a 500) at around 20mph. You'll need to lean it but not much. Then accelerate up to 32mph or ideally a bit more. Stay on the gas through the trap. Soon as you pass it, close the throttle and quick push on the left bar to go left round the cone, push on the right to straighten up, then brake smoothly to a halt.

Emergency stop: Since it's quite easy to lock up the back wheel compared to the front, I'd say make it more like 80% front brake, depending on the bike. Mine was an ER5 which locked the rear at every opportunity. So use rear with caution and for effect only, to maybe stabilise the bike a bit - it's the front what stops you. Progressive squeeze of the lever - you've got loads of space to stop in time.

that's basically what they where telling me, but its easier said then done.
where where also told that you do all the breaking on the front, and use the back brake to keep you straight. and for the emergency stop, all the examiner will see is that you pushed the back break. so you can get away with not really using the back break, thus reducing the chances of locking it.

Kaph
Someone shoot me, I'm falling in love with big singles. Or twins.

singles are good, especially the MT-03 :drool: (as wiggle said).

Chilledice
Nein! You need a valid provisional licence!

Also, I'm one of the few people who hasnt bought a 600 and restricted it, I'm on a Ninja 250r atm when I pass my test which has 33bhp and -arguably- is better for the smaller size, it's designed to get the most out of the 33bhp it has, so is better geared for it! It's also incredibly agile, making cornering a blast

you can get a provisional from 3 months before your 16th birthday, hence how you can ride mopeds at 16.
and stop riding that damn bike, if you get stopped they will confiscate it!

Woow, thats a big post! :teeth:
Reply 4601
MHorman

YES

I did mine 2 weeks before i was 17, i think it is just for motorbikes you can do it at 16 though.....

Ahh sweet! I'll get it out the way soon then.

Boristhethird

singles are good, especially the MT-03 :drool: (as wiggle said).

I think my arse'll hate me if I got a 660 single :P
Oh and on my last post i forgot to add.

On the emergency stop, don't use the back brake....

There's no need, the front brake will stop you fine...

You're just risking a skid..

My dad was instructor and examiner, he says just lightly rest your foot on the back brake so it looks like you're using it...
Reply 4603
MHorman
I HAVE THE SAME COMPUTING EXAM!!!!!!

It's annoying the ******************** out of me atm....
Very stressed, I got easy As lined up in other 2 subjects but this is killing me.
I need 85%+ for A as well, i got 90% in first year but TERRIBLE in coursework..... Best in my school but i think he said it was 25% or something... bloody teacher....

aaaa, I'm the other way round, screwed up last year due to not being taught the theory (and too lazy to learn anything myself last year)/made a silly mistake on my practical exam and averaged 75%. Got over 85% in the coursework this year after I pulled my finger out but this year is weighted more towards the exam (which I have also had minimal teaching for, using the book like one big cheat sheet atm...) 80:120 UMS. It'll be "easier" for me to get an A in physics, only need a B or something in that last module to get an A, thank the lord I did resits in that! Wish I resat my practical, lost like 8 marks out of 80 (or w/e it was) for ONE mistake! (screenshots of it working didn't work, cause it didn't work... :woo:)
GL tomorrow mate. Here's to hoping they don't send us a nasty!

MHorman
My dad was instructor and examiner, he says just lightly rest your foot on the back brake so it looks like you're using it...

Crafty begger! That's cheating isn't it? :ninja:
D3bug

Crafty begger! That's cheating isn't it? :ninja:

Quote me twice in one message, i feel popular...:biggrin:

And yea, in real life in the dry you never use the back brake to stop...

Of course if your test is wet then use the backbrake a little but be careful and if it locks up immediately release it and repllay gently-er...

It's a minor for a little skid and a major for a 5 foot long black line wiggling down the road....:cool:
For the record, I'm not riding my Ninja! I have only ridden it round my car park.. All other info comes from online/my dad :frown: (The sod is insured on all motorcycles)
MHorman

Boristhethird

that's basically what they where telling me, but its easier said then done.
where where also told that you do all the breaking on the front, and use the back brake to keep you straight. and for the emergency stop, all the examiner will see is that you pushed the back break. so you can get away with not really using the back break, thus reducing the chances of locking it.

i got there first! i win!:yeah:

and yes i did just quote myself:colone:
Kaph

from what im told, they not too bad, and are really fun bikes
Kaph

They are good bikes, but not designed for motorways, apparently they are brilliant communters.
Reply 4609
Sweet. I'll look into them. Depends how much power they put out, a DRZ400's around 33 according to Wiki, so should be below 33 in the real world.

I used to like the faired SV650, apparently they take restriction really well due to the linear v-twin nature. I've already come off on the roads where I live, so don't want to do it with fairings.

TBH, what's really putting me off getting another bike when I hit 17 is where I live. It's out in the countryside, which'd be alright if the roads weren't so damn poor. The off was from braking on loose grit and gravel on the road a few weeks back, a few hundred meters from home. When I get into town and with other traffic on proper roads, I'm much more confident.

Hence looking at SM singles, just seem to fit in better heh.
Kaph

TBH, what's really putting me off getting another bike when I hit 17 is where I live. It's out in the countryside, which'd be alright if the roads weren't so damn poor. The off was from braking on loose grit and gravel on the road a few weeks back, a few hundred meters from home. When I get into town and with other traffic on proper roads, I'm much more confident.

I have the same problem with the roads around here...

I swear on some sections i used to be quicker on my old Suzuki Dr125...

But get the nicer bike anyway because surely you're mving to uni? And if you want to ride a long distance then you need the bigger bike...

Random bike thought, the biker weekend at my house is over, we had about 30 bikes, a trike and 2 bike/sidecars...

There was the loveliest BMW 650GS with a load of tweaked parts...

I was very tempted, it'd be like my onroad fazer and m yoffroad crf rolled into one...:biggrin:
Reply 4611
The roads aren't great out here in Suffolk Coastal either. I've hit gravel, flints and all sorts recently. The other day I came round a 90 degree hairpin and the road was literally covered from edge to edge with sand. And in the winter it's one giant mud pie between South Essex and the North Norfolk Coast.

But on the plus side we don't get a lot of traffic.
Kaph
Sweet. I'll look into them. Depends how much power they put out, a DRZ400's around 33 according to Wiki, so should be below 33 in the real world.

I used to like the faired SV650, apparently they take restriction really well due to the linear v-twin nature. I've already come off on the roads where I live, so don't want to do it with fairings.

Things is is you get a small bike you have to upgrade in 2 years.. For fairings you can always get hte crash bungs to protect the fairings.

Its also a valid point for communting between uni and ome if you have motorways, you want a minimum of a 400..
Bathwiggle

Its also a valid point for communting between uni and ome if you have motorways, you want a minimum of a 400..

Why?
Reply 4614
Chilledice
Why?

Ever taken a 125 on a motorway? Even a 250 isnt "fun" at motorway speeds. Hell, my Fazer isnt fun at motorway speeds. If I was commuting down m-ways on a daily basis I would get at least a 1000cc engine. At 90-100mph your revving a 600 at nearly 8000rpm. Fuel consumption isnt very good, and neither is comfort.
Reply 4615
Riderz
Ever taken a 125 on a motorway? Even a 250 isnt "fun" at motorway speeds. Hell, my Fazer isnt fun at motorway speeds. If I was commuting down m-ways on a daily basis I would get at least a 1000cc engine. At 90-100mph your revving a 600 at nearly 8000rpm. Fuel consumption isnt very good, and neither is comfort.

Biggest problem I have with my Fazer is keeping down to motorway speed limits :biggrin: . Seriously - one little overtake and you're over three figures. I have got a massive touring screen on mine, though.

Is yours restricted or something?
Chilledice
Why?

Even on the 400 it didn't go past 80 happily when restricted, vibrated like hell plus you can't get away from other cars and lorrys.

The 250 ninja will probaby be fine, but generally you want a bigger bike with fairing and the ability to accelerate away from other traffic
Riderz

Robins sat at 7000 at 90mph, as mine sits at 100mph at those revs, but he does find it windy as his is unfaired
Reply 4618
Jez RR
Biggest problem I have with my Fazer is keeping down to motorway speed limits :biggrin: . Seriously - one little overtake and you're over three figures. I have got a massive touring screen on mine, though.

Is yours restricted or something?

No. Unrestricted.

Dont get me wrong, I have no problems doing 3 figures and often cruise at 100+ if its quiet, but at those speeds you do get the feeling that its spinning quite fast. If I was doing it everyday, a bigger, slower and more lazy engine would be better for fuel consumption and for comfort.
just back from hospital having had a fly embed itself in my eye ball. one local anesthetic injection right into my eye and 5mins with some woman digging it out with a needle it was out.

bloody visor was down and i wasnt even going that fast. bad times

Latest

Trending

Trending