TSR Motorbike Society Official Thread watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boristhethird)
    I Passed!!! :d
    Wooooooo!
    :woo::woo:
    Congrats! :yep:

While everyone's on about exams I've got Mechanics 2/Statistics 2 exams that don't matter to me at all tomorrow and next Tuesday, and Physics unit 5 on the 29th, which matters a LOT :woo:
    Why do they always make the last exam the most important?

ReputationRep:
    nice one, now the real learning begins!

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, just hoping someone could give me a quick answer here. How often should a bike's chain and sprocket need replacing? This is for my brother's bike, I'm not too knowledgeable about them, so not entirely sure of the details, but he got the bike brand new in November and has had a couple of problems with the chain, now the garage are telling him the chain and sprocket need replacing, which seems a bit too soon to be due to general wear and tear, and we think it's possible there is another problem causing it.
    I've found a few contradictory answers from Google, ranging from 8,000 miles on a third party chain, to 30,000+ miles on manufacturer's chains. I've also read most garages will most likely tell you the sprocket needs replacing at the same time, but this isn't always the case. Can anyone confirm this?
    If it makes any difference, the bike is a Suzuki, I'm almost certain the model began with an M, so looking at the Suzuki website, the Marauder 125 sounds about right.
    Thanks for any help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hobo06)
    Hey guys, just hoping someone could give me a quick answer here. How often should a bike's chain and sprocket need replacing? This is for my brother's bike, I'm not too knowledgeable about them, so not entirely sure of the details, but he got the bike brand new in November and has had a couple of problems with the chain, now the garage are telling him the chain and sprocket need replacing, which seems a bit too soon to be due to general wear and tear, and we think it's possible there is another problem causing it.
    I've found a few contradictory answers from Google, ranging from 8,000 miles on a third party chain, to 30,000+ miles on manufacturer's chains. I've also read most garages will most likely tell you the sprocket needs replacing at the same time, but this isn't always the case. Can anyone confirm this?
    If it makes any difference, the bike is a Suzuki, I'm almost certain the model began with an M, so looking at the Suzuki website, the Marauder 125 sounds about right.
    Thanks for any help.
    If he hasn't kept the chain adjusted properly then it can wear out in no time.~1000 miles or less...

And yes, replace the chain and sprocket at the same time because if his chain was too loose or something it would ruin both chain and sprocket...

ReputationRep:
    Wooooooo!
    Congratu -well done- lations!

ReputationRep:
    Wewt! Just got back from my off-road assessment and the instructor said I was good enough to go on the roads even after the long break from my one time riding!
    Going out for a full hour on the road next Thursday
    Can't wait...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MHorman)
    If he hasn't kept the chain adjusted properly then it can wear out in no time.~1000 miles or less...

And yes, replace the chain and sprocket at the same time because if his chain was too loose or something it would ruin both chain and sprocket...
    Cheers for the reply. I'd assume he hasn't done much with the chain himself, but it has had to be taken to the garage a couple of times, so could it be that they have cocked up something? Though I take it he should be checking it himself regularly anyway, so it could be down to him also. Just wanted to get a rough idea anyway as it seemed a bit soon. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Wooooooo!

:woo: :woo: :woo: :woo:

Now you can ride a proper bike. Well done.

ReputationRep:
    How do you go about adjusting the chain? The owners manual I have is as useless as Rob Green tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kaph)
    How do you go about adjusting the chain? The owners manual I have is as useless as Rob Green tbh.
    Depends entirely on the bike, some have snail cams which you have to hit the hell out of...

On mine you put it on centre stand, loosen back axle, loosen or tighten the chain adjusting bolts(not sure of their real names)(the ones are the back of the swinging arm) and then tighten axle, job done...

That could be the worlds worst description of it ever...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MHorman)
    Depends entirely on the bike, some have snail cams which you have to hit the hell out of...

On mine you put it on centre stand, loosen back axle, loosen or tighten the chain adjusting bolts(not sure of their real names)(the ones are the back of the swinging arm) and then tighten axle, job done...

That could be the worlds worst description of it ever...
    pretty much that. different ways of doing it on different bikes. make sure you double check the tension after you re torque the axle nut

ReputationRep:
    Also, check your wheel alignment!

ReputationRep:
    if you get the Haynes Manuel for that bike, it will explain how to far better then i could, and they are good for fixing just about everything on the bike.

ReputationRep:
    Any of you who are also from london, you been following the lulz from motorcyclists vs Westminster council and spraying of the parking place sign so you don't have to pay?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Philosoraptor)
    Any of you who are also from london, you been following the lulz from motorcyclists vs Westminster council and spraying of the parking place sign so you don't have to pay?
    i head about it, never seen it or done it myself.

there's a big protest ride round the m25 this Saturday, and i think i might go just because i can now go on motorways :p:

ReputationRep:
    i head about it, never seen it or done it myself.

there's a big protest ride round the m25 this Saturday, and i think i might go just because i can now go on motorways :p:
    nooo not another subscriber to the parking 'tax'. riding round the M25 will be boring as hell, go on a decent ride which has nothing to do with the stupid quid a day to park in westminster!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazyjoyce)
    nooo not another subscriber to the parking 'tax'. riding round the M25 will be boring as hell, go on a decent ride which has nothing to do with the stupid quid a day to park in westminster!
    but i wanna go on the motorway :stomp:

and id be too scared to without a bunch of other bikes doing 40 aswell :p:

ReputationRep:
    Well thats that. Degree finished. Not sure whether to be happy or sad. Not going to get all emotional on here, but its certainly a weird time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Riderz)
    Well thats that. Degree finished. Not sure whether to be happy or sad. Not going to get all emotional on here, but its certainly a weird time.
    Well done on completing your course!

It's a wierd feeling isn't it? What have you got planned next?

ReputationRep:
    Just got back from my last exam AND first time I've been out on the bike in ages. It's ridiculous how much fun it is.

Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.