TSR Motorbike Society Official Thread Watch

kookie_4
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Hey, thanks for the info. I've been hearing that chinese bikes are a bit naff. yeah i prefer cruiser bikes to sport only cos i plan to do alot of riding after i finish uni.

the hyosung gv650 efi i believe is sport cruiser though so im guessing its a mix between the two.

i dunno maybe i'll get into sport bikes a bit more later on.

anyone else here like cruisers?
Nick.Killick
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yeah my bike's been written off, so annoying. Was a fantastic bike, was so lucky finding it. Just peeves me off that it's been written off when the only damage is cracked fairings and scuffed exhaust, and engine cover. Scratches all over the right side but the bike runs and is fine - just cosmetic stuff
I really like sports tourers, great for long distance touring but still with ***** loads of power and looks great :P I'm planning on a few rides into/around Europe, so excellent bikes for it. My dad rides to Belgium every year on a ZZR1400 - very jealous of him. He's got the '07 plate ZZR but he's ordered an '09 one in green... He works at a Kawasaki dealer so he's got his name down for one before everyone else
Bathwiggle
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
thats the worst bit about faired bikes, the fairing costs so much to replace.

You still on the SV hire bike? or have you got a new one? i could be being really really slow..
Nick.Killick
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm still on the hire bike until Monday probably. Hopefully I'll be able to find a new bike by then but it's unlikely. Found a real nice 2000 reg SV for £1,300 in Birmingham but it's so cheap there's got to be something wrong with it...
Typical that we're gonna have such crummy weather though until at least monday, can't even have a few good days out on it
Bathwiggle
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
my 2000 SV was £1800 but it only had 4000 miles on it, so you may find the bikes alright/ Also further you go up north prices seem to get cheaper.
tom//
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
would it be wise to get a monster 600 as a first bike? :beard: considering getting one in june when im 17 :coma:
Bathwiggle
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
your insurance will be through the roof, my bf was quoted £1000 for a 600cc bike, ok it was fully comp, and new but that was with 2 years no claims.

Plus you'll have to restrict it, which is a shame on such a bike providing your in the uk
tom//
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
i got quoted £600 from a company on tesco insurance...

not too bothered about paying 2k for insurance anyway to be honest, im getting quoted a lot more for car insurance :beard:

theres always the option of not restricting it
Bathwiggle
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Then you'll have no insurance. i was asked for my restriction certificate
tom//
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
but would it not be worth restricting it for 2 years then getting it off instead of having to get a more powerful bike? i might be going on the motorway a lot see :\
Bathwiggle
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
i got a 400cc for £700 restricted it and its now waiting for my brother to pass his test so he can trash it for a year before upgrading.

Problem is as your male and will be 17 insurers put you into the most likely to kill yourself group, and so insurance wise it may be better to get a smaller bike and work up.

My bandit had no problems on the motorway, and had very good acceleration compared to my SV which ive got now. Plus you'll be gutted if you write a monster off soon after passing.

I just seems a shame to restrict a bigger bike, plus you'll lose some of the fun of it. Thats my opinion. I was advised when i was looking at 600's to restrict that it wasnt worth it
tom//
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
i do like the bandits :beard:

my brother said they are the most comfortable bike hes been on too :/
Bathwiggle
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I only had a 400cc and that was amazing the acceleration on it was brilliant, and ok its steering was mainly me learning rather than the handle bars, and the turning circle could be compared to an elepphant, but i love it.

I just didnt want a 600cc one as they apparently have quite a few problems over winter, mind you mine didnt like the cold or wet and you often had to talk to it nicely to get it started. But it was fine once started

OO also have a look at a gs500 thats apparently a good starter bike. i wouldnt know, i was meant to be getting my dads till he broke it.

How tall are you?
Hisoo
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by kookie_4)
Hey, thanks for the info. I've been hearing that chinese bikes are a bit naff. yeah i prefer cruiser bikes to sport only cos i plan to do alot of riding after i finish uni.

the hyosung gv650 efi i believe is sport cruiser though so im guessing its a mix between the two.

i dunno maybe i'll get into sport bikes a bit more later on.

anyone else here like cruisers?
Isn't that meant to be the other way round?

I like Cruisers best, just wish I could pass my test to get a Yam Dragstar 650.
tom//
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Bathwiggle)
I only had a 400cc and that was amazing the acceleration on it was brilliant, and ok its steering was mainly me learning rather than the handle bars, and the turning circle could be compared to an elepphant, but i love it.

I just didnt want a 600cc one as they apparently have quite a few problems over winter, mind you mine didnt like the cold or wet and you often had to talk to it nicely to get it started. But it was fine once started

OO also have a look at a gs500 thats apparently a good starter bike. i wouldnt know, i was meant to be getting my dads till he broke it.

How tall are you?
im about 5'10/11, quite long legs though

my brother told me not to get a gs500
kookie_4
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Hisoo)
Isn't that meant to be the other way round?

I like Cruisers best, just wish I could pass my test to get a Yam Dragstar 650.
heheh maybe its just cruiser bikes look so badass
Bathwiggle
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by tom//)
im about 5'10/11, quite long legs though

my brother told me not to get a gs500
Was there any reason not to get one?
Its good at motorways and its what i unofficially learned on.

You may find the 400 bandit small for you.
Deus
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Finally getting my bike out again today! It's been locked up for about two months now .

Let's hope summer is good (or at least better) this year.
Nick.Killick
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Tom - I'd recommend against getting a 600cc as your first bike, they're are much more powerful than you'd expect, and a lot to handle as your first bike. Although granted nothing may ever happen to you other than perhaps dropping it once or twice but even then you're paying a stupid amount of money for insurance, when if it's restricted you'll be beaten off the line quite easily by smaller bikes even if they are restricted aswell because they've not had to be restricted quite so much. So you'll be paying loads of money... and getting less.

A GS/CB/ER 500 are great bikes to start with, fairly powerful, easy to look after, get some serious punch out of them and they're very forgiving if you make a mistake. If you're after something with fairing then I think you can get half faired versions, or get a GPZ500. I had a GPZ restricted but it still went like the clap, was great on the motorway with the fairing, looks fairly cool and I'm the same sort of height as you and it was a pretty good fit.

Granted though I'm getting a ZX6R now though because my GPZ was written off, but I wanted an SV650S really as they restrict better and are a joy to ride (I've got a hire one at the moment) - I'm only getting the ZX cos I'm getting it so cheap and my insurance is going down a bit cos it's not my first bike. I've already had a lot of practice in the most horrid weather on both 500cc and the SV650 so it's not such a huge step up to the ZX for me
Bathwiggle
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Nick.Killick)
Granted though I'm getting a ZX6R now though because my GPZ was written off, but I wanted an SV650S really as they restrict better and are a joy to ride (I've got a hire one at the moment) - I'm only getting the ZX cos I'm getting it so cheap and my insurance is going down a bit cos it's not my first bike. I've already had a lot of practice in the most horrid weather on both 500cc and the SV650 so it's not such a huge step up to the ZX for me
I really hate you now!! i love the ZX6R, i just cant touch the ground on it!! There so much fun
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1618)
79.2%
Leave (425)
20.8%

Watched Threads