I've failed the year....:( Watch

Little Lamb
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
I've failed my second year at university. It's my own fault really, I screwed up and I admit that I have to do the year again. I'm kind of pleased anyway because at least now I know what to expect and I can knuckle down and do it. But sadly. I now have to phone my parents in Thailand tomorrow and tell them. I said to my mum that I might have failed the year a few weeks ago and she went....well mental to say the least. Shouting at me about how "Pressure? Pressure? GROW UP!"

I basically screwed up an exam, three essays (Sadly they were the only three essays we had to do in that module ) and a whole elective (Though a lot of people screwed that up as they expected stupid amounts of work from us that were....quite impossible...). I offered to do a resit of my exam and do some work over the summer just so I wouldn't have to tell my parents but sadly sans medical note or family bereavment that isn't allowed. Also with the tutors strike they've left everything to the last minute which has affected the grading in terms of the examination board.

I'm terrified of telling my parents. My dad has been sick in hospital and has had to change a lot of things in his life and is supposed to be under "No stress" so when I call up later today and say "Hi mum, yeah I have to resit the entire year..." that's not going to go down well.

I'm just looking for some reassurance. I know you can't tell me that my mum and dad will be fineeee and stuff, I know they won't. My guts will be garters basically. But just a little boost would be appreciated.

Thanks
XXX
Little Lamb
Rep:
?
(Original post by fundamentally)
So start studying instead of spending time moaning uselessly on TSR.
Well you can eff off...
Roll-The-Dice-And-Win
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Hey Lil Lamb,

what course you doing and at what uni?
DJDJ
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
i've failed too, great aint it? just do the resits, and if not, get a job, degrees, despite what all the goobs here say, aint the be all and end all of life, degrees are pretty **** now-a-days. you'll graduate and still be stackin' shelves.
Little Lamb
Rep:
?
Second year doing Journalism at LCC. I can do the journalism bit which is fine, but sadly the course is like 60% history, art, political theory, economics, law etc. Which would be good if I had either a GCSE in History or any experience in the other subjects.

Bleh, I phoned my mum and she was very calm and cool. Blamed my bf which is totally out of order and made me realise that it's my own fault. For the last 8 years I've spent coasting along, not doing much work and then acing exams. I did it last year as well....but this year it just wasn't going to cut the mustard. Serious rethink on attitude methinks.

Oh and I have to call my brother today to sort me out a flight to go and tell my dad face to face...my dad used to interrogate terrorists so it's rather effing daunting

At least my mum didn't shout or say "I'm dissapointed" I'm just annoyed (though it's my own fault) that I have to fly several thousand miles, spend nearly another £1k of their money to go and tell my dad face to face.

bah
peskymousie
Badges: 0
Report 12 years ago
i think you admit you messed up, and next year will be a lot easier now you have a good base. As long as you dont get bored we resiting it. What course were you doing?
Roll-The-Dice-And-Win
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
whats LCC?
Mr_Rizla
Report 12 years ago
Your in for an earful, you can count on that. I'm half malaysian and I failed my first year. I was hoping the plane back from Engerland would crash or something to escape my father's wrath. That was 5 years ago. I'm in the final year of my second degree. I never screwed up again.
X
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by mussy123)
whats LCC?
I think the London College of Communication .
Roll-The-Dice-And-Win
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
first time i have hurd of it...interesting uni
X
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by mussy123)
first time i have hurd of it...interesting uni
Its the largest member college of the University of the Arts London, if you want more information you can visit this page.
Dalendless Shid
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Little Lamb, if that were me, I wouldn't tell my parents anything if i was under such pressure. For all they know, you could be in your final year come September, you could just say you're taking extra modules for the course or blag it in some way? Especially if they are from a different continent, im assuming they only know how it all works via you?

Good Luck
fundamentally
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Little Lamb)
Well you can eff off...
Cant even handle a suggestion to study, without using obscene abuse ?

(Original post by Little Lamb)
For the last 8 years I've spent coasting along, not doing much work and then acing exams.
Keep coasting if you like.
But learn to handle the inevitable consequences without complaining.
Fluffy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Write a letter to the relevant big wig, admit you realise you need to but in more effort, but then point out the failings of the uni regarding the lectures strikes etc, and tell them what you want - that under the exceptional circumstances of the strike and the accommpanied lack of support students received, that you would like the university to make amends by allowing you the opportunity to resit the relevant papers...
Fluffy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Hmm - and as for your dad being ill - that sort of thing usually comes fairly high up on the list of exceptional circumstance...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (76)
27.54%
No (200)
72.46%

Watched Threads