The Student Room Group

Cycling on the pavement

Just a quick question really, and sorry if it's in the wrong forum! - Can I cycle on the pavement instead of road?

I want to cycle instead of using public transport because it's too unreliable and infrequent. Thing is, I really really don't feel safe on the roads. There are no cycle paths or lanes around either. I won't be able to get to some places without using dangerous roads if I'm not allowed to use the pavement. I'm not in a city centre, so the pavements aren't busy, and I'm not going to travel at any kind of speed on the hefty bike that I've got! I would rather be late for work and appointments using public transport, than risk my safety on the roads on a bike.

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

you can, but not supposed to.

its too bumpy anyway
Personally, I hate cycling on the roads around my house, too. I cycle on the pavements but if I see any pedestrians I try to go onto the road. You're not supposed to do it, but I can't see that there would be any harm in it if you're careful and considerate.
Reply 3
Always a controversial issue.

You should ride on the roads. You need to gain confidence doing this, so I suggest starting by riding on the roads at odd hours where there's less traffic. Riding on the paths is too dangerous for everyone else. By doing this, you're putting everyone else at risk, without actually reducing the risk for yourself. You're potentially harming more people by riding on the paths.

I know what some people might be thinking. Surely people should just be more alert?

In an ideal world, maybe this would happen. But in the world of today people are wearing headphones, earphones, and playing on phones. And even this can't account for blind corners where someone might suddenly come out of nowhere. If you hit someone and injure them, you could be looking at a potential legal case or a serious arse kicking.

Britain isn't a very good nation for cyclists, I'm afraid, so it's basically about picking your poison.
Rather break the law by riding on the pavement where probably the worse thing that could happen is a few bruises and cuts, than being on the road where the worse thing is getting killed by a car.
Original post by AshPetite
Can I cycle on the pavement instead of road?

You risk a £30 fine (£60 in London) and incurring the wrath of militant pedestrians, angry at this dangerous practice, of whom there is an increasing number.
Reply 6
Legally, no. See highway code rule #64:

You MUST NOT cycle on a pavement.
Laws HA 1835 sect 72 & R(S)A 1984, sect 129

Pretty abundantly clear. If you don't want to cycle on dangerous roads, dismount and walk around the parts where it isn't safe to ride.
Reply 7
Sorry but i have to say cycling on the pavement is just ridiculous unless its designated for cycles. There's people opening car doors onto the pavement who won't be looking for anything moving faster than walking pace, there's lots of street furniture you have to weave between and there's people stepping out of shop doors and houses who won't see you. If you're seen by a cop you most likely will be stopped and fined.

If you're sensible and have reasonable observation skills cycling on the road is fine. Wear something visible. Learn which roads to avoid and take quieter streets, avoid roundabouts if you can't and DO NOT squeeze down the left of big vehicles/buses/trucks etc and you will be absolutely fine.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Dez
Legally, no. See highway code rule #64:

Pretty abundantly clear. If you don't want to cycle on dangerous roads, dismount and walk around the parts where it isn't safe to ride.

ride on the ****ing pavement if that's where you feel comfortable, you'd never get fined just a warning and probably not even that if the police acknowledge that the road isn't the safest for bikes.

**** the police.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by martin jol
ride on the ****ing pavement if that's where you feel comfortable, you'd never get fined just a warning and probably not even that if the police acknowledge that the road isn't the safest for bikes.

**** the police.

Do you regularly cycle on the road? No? So how can you possibly hold that opinion?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by james1211
Do you regularly cycle on the road? No? So how can you possibly hold that opinion?

yeah i do. i have no problem with people cycling on the pavement if they're not comfortable on the road.
Reply 11
yeah i do. i have no problem with people cycling on the pavement if they're not comfortable on the road.

Do you not think that people should be encouraged to cycle on the road so that they build up confidence and are thus more aware of the dangers and how to avoid them?
Reply 12

seconded tbh, plus I've never really hard of an accident (bad one) where someone was cycling on a path and had an accident on the path itself.

the road is a different matter, didnt a few people die recently in london this way? not that its there fault, very unfortunate.

that being said you dont get many cycle lanes here (not in london) infact other than the city I havent seen any,

I've seen a few pavements that have a cycling partition but I dunno how common that is, usualy they only last a few meters which seems pointless tbh lol
Reply 13

**** the police.

And this is why so many motorists have a hatred for cyclists. Having no engine doesn't put you above the law.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by james1211
Do you not think that people should be encouraged to cycle on the road so that they build up confidence and are thus more aware of the dangers and how to avoid them?

I agree with this also but sometimes the road themselves are the problem, i.e. other road users etc, busy roads so on.

that and ive never ever seen someone dismount and walk around a dangerous road, they either fire on through, or temporarily mount the pavement before entering the road again.

lastly I see so many cyclists doing things that dont seem safe to themselves, such as cycling too far out in the road (one cyclist was actualy right in the middle of a lane recently :s-smilie: not near lights, not near turning off or anything.

I also see alot cycling with 1 or more cyclists beside them in a row, is that even allowed? I duno but it seems dangerous to me, I'd never cycle like that I always keep right close to the curb lol.

then the last was the genious I seen cycling no hands but that was a rare occurance, ive also seen someone cycling on the phone and one eating a subway but again rare lol.
Reply 16
Original post by LukeM90
(one cyclist was actualy right in the middle of a lane recently :s-smilie: not near lights, not near turning off or anything.

I also see alot cycling with 1 or more cyclists beside them in a row, is that even allowed? I duno but it seems dangerous to me, I'd never cycle like that I always keep right close to the curb lol.

Cycling in the middle of the lane is not only legal but often safer as it prevents cars from trying to overtake in locations where they shouldn't be (narrow roads, oncoming traffic, pedestrian islands i've seen it all before). Of course if you're going less than two thirds the speed limit it's less than ideal but still legal).

Cycling side by side isn't great i'll grant you that. It aggravates drivers (rightly or wrongly) and as far as i can see serves no real purpose. If i'm out in the countryside though i will often cycle beside my buddy to talk and drop back to single file when i hear a car behind.

Cycling close to the kerb as possible is silly, it's where the most debris is, liable to cause puncturing, there's lots of drain covers that can cause issues and research shows (as well as my own testing of this theory) that car drivers tend to subconsciously give you the same gap when passing as you have between yourself and the kerb, so it's safer to be slightly further out into the road.
Reply 17

frig, although that last one wasnt really relivant, he was on the path then rhode of it, infront of a car he knew was there by the sound of it,

still bad times.
Reply 18
Original post by Genocidal
Always a controversial issue.

You should ride on the roads. You need to gain confidence doing this, so I suggest starting by riding on the roads at odd hours where there's less traffic. Riding on the paths is too dangerous for everyone else. By doing this, you're putting everyone else at risk, without actually reducing the risk for yourself. You're potentially harming more people by riding on the paths.

I know what some people might be thinking. Surely people should just be more alert?

In an ideal world, maybe this would happen. But in the world of today people are wearing headphones, earphones, and playing on phones. And even this can't account for blind corners where someone might suddenly come out of nowhere. If you hit someone and injure them, you could be looking at a potential legal case or a serious arse kicking.

Britain isn't a very good nation for cyclists, I'm afraid, so it's basically about picking your poison.

I like this reply. Genocidal was not rude, nor vindictive in his/hers reply. Better yet, it answered the question far more informatively than anyone else's.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by Peter91
Keeping close to the curb is generally dangerous cycling. Taking the lane is frequently safer. Riding two abreast is allowable (most/some of the time).

Posted from TSR Mobile

This. Cycle a metre or so away from the curb so cars have to slow down and do a proper overtake when passing you instead of blasting past at 60.

When you get to roundabouts cycle in the centre of the lane to stop cars from overtaking at all on the approach. Also make eye contact with drivers waiting to join the roundabout to make sure they have actually seen you.

Applying stuff like this to your cycling will greatly reduce the risk.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest