Turn on thread page Beta

Hi everyone,

I have had bad anxiety for the past few years and it has affected my life adversely. I was wondering whether I can still apply for grad schemes despite being 27 and having graduated in 2010? I went to see the doctor today and she said that I can say to the employers that I have gaps in my CV due to Anxiety. Can I do the same for grad schemes and say I have a disability?

I don't want to use this as a reason to get preferential treatment when job hunting but I feel like it's the only way I can explain the gaps in my CV and why I've left a few jobs that I've had since leaving university in 2010.

What do you guys think?

anyone have any say on this? :/.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hi everyone,

I have had bad anxiety for the past few years and it has affected my life adversely. I was wondering whether I can still apply for grad schemes despite being 27 and having graduated in 2010? I went to see the doctor today and she said that I can say to the employers that I have gaps in my CV due to Anxiety. Can I do the same for grad schemes and say I have a disability?

I don't want to use this as a reason to get preferential treatment when job hunting but I feel like it's the only way I can explain the gaps in my CV and why I've left a few jobs that I've had since leaving university in 2010.

What do you guys think?
    Most graduate schemes will accept any graduate, regardless of when they obtained their degree. Some, such as the Civil Service Fast Stream, regularly take people in their 30s, 40s and 50s who have worked in other roles after graduating many years ago.

There may be some schemes who will state "a recent graduate" or "obtained their degree in the last few years" but this is quite vague. It may be that a graduate from 2010 will still qualify. Even if you don't then, yes, you can provide the anxiety as a mitigating circumstance.

Either way, if you do have such a gap on your CV, especially several gaps, then employers will always want to see the reasons for that gap. I'm in a similar position (don't have a gap but it took me several years to complete my degree due to personal and health difficulties). In my experience employers are sympathetic. However, my only post-graduation experience is with charities and private companies dealing with neurological and mental health conditions.

But ideally you should have done some voluntary work, or at least start doing some voluntary work should you feel able to. Employers will want to see that you're doing at least something should you be well enough to work.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 15, 2013
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.