Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently at college studying photography. I've hated the course from the start and I've been struggling with the coursework from day 1. My parents know how much I hate college, but say I can't leave unless I have a job.

Our coursework for the first block is due next week. I've been struggling with it for ages and my lecturers are just assuming that I'm lazy and can't be bothered with it.
    I've had my friends try to help me, but I have to do the work myself and no matter how hard I try, I just struggle. I'm not interested in photography, and the course is not for me, but there's literally no other options for me.

I've got no chance of completing all the coursework and getting it checked and submitted on time, and our lecturers told us if we don't pass the first block, we can't move on to the second block. I know I'm going to fail, and I'm dreading turning up to college next week to be told I've failed. I just want to drop out, however I don't have a job and my student bursary will stop coming in, therefore I'll have no money and no way of supporting myself.

I've been applying for jobs, but I keep getting rejected due to lack of previous experience. I've spoken to my dad and he says he'll try to see if he can find something for me in his office, but he says there's an incredibly small chance of me actually getting anything.

I don't know what to do. I'm just struggling with college, there's no chance I'll have everything ready in time and I'll probably get kicked out if I don't complete the coursework. Help? :/

Why didn't you change course in the beginning of the year if you hated it that much?

ReputationRep:
    Why would you go to college to do a photography course if you don't like photography and you can't do photography? There are LOADS of other options and courses that you could do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YikezItzAmy)
    I'm currently at college studying photography. I've hated the course from the start and I've been struggling with the coursework from day 1. My parents know how much I hate college, but say I can't leave unless I have a job.
    Try speaking to your college about how you're feeling, and see if they'll allow you to change course to something you're more interested in.

You haven't ruined your live, it's just a temporary crisis. Stay strong and you'll get through it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox)
    Why would you go to college to do a photography course if you don't like photography and you can't do photography? There are LOADS of other options and courses that you could do.
    The questions you raise are very fair, but the OP can clearly see they've made a mistake, you aren't helping by asking those questions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by techno-thriller)
    Why didn't you change course in the beginning of the year if you hated it that much?
    My mum wouldn't let me. She said I had to stay on the course until it ends next year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox)
    I used to be interested in photography. I thought it was what I wanted to do, but I've realised that I actually don't want to have it as a full time career.
    • Welcome Squad

Welcome Squad
    (Original post by YikezItzAmy)
    My mum wouldn't let me. She said I had to stay on the course until it ends next year.
    Do what is best for you.
    Are you studying photography alone?

ReputationRep:
    Do another course/A levels? Going out into the world with presumably only GCSE's won't get you very far (unless you get lucky or so)

ReputationRep:
    Yes, your life is over, you're going to be homeless and die alone.

Come on. Worst scenario is you take the year out and stay at home, get a job for the year, and start a new course next year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anonymouspie227)
    Do what is best for you.
    Are you studying photography alone?
    I know that there's other courses out there that I could do, but I just don't know what I'm interested in/what I want to do in life.

Well I'm in a class of about 25 people, and I feel like I'm the most far behind in the whole class.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blazinq)
    Do another course/A levels? Going out into the world with presumably only GCSE's won't get you very far (unless you get lucky or so)
    I'm Scottish, so I did Standard Grades and Intermediates instead of A levels, but I know what you mean, it seems like you need at least a couple of years of experience to work anywhere these days.

ReputationRep:
    Your in college.

Just change course, start again next year and stop being so dramatic.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Study Helper
    Similar situation to me. I hate college but have to go to keep getting financial support for my dad ect. I quit one of my subjects and it made it a little better. I just have decided i'll stick out a year of this hell then quit. Maybe you can have the same mindset to just do it.

Maybe talk to your teacher(s) and be honest like you have been here. See what they say.

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.