Socially awkward but enjoy public speaking. Anyone else like this? Watch

Pro Crastination
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Is anyone else in this position?

I seem to be (sort of) unable to make casual conversation with other people around me if I don't know them well, but standing up and speaking in front of others isn't an issue for me - so long as I have something to talk about.

I've always assumed only extroverts enjoyed public speaking.
sallyware
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Oddly, I'm the opposite.
Vixen47
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Ha. Yeah. I like it because I love speaking, yet I'm a socially awkward introvert and a bit of a loner.

It comes in really handy when you're in an alien environment -- when you think your socially awkward side is so close to being exposed, the extroverted public speaker comes out to play instead. In the two times I've met her, my student rep leader has gained an immense amount of respect for me because she seems to think that I'm this amazing extrovert with a killer sense of humour -- I'm just an idiot who doesn't hide the fact that she's a idiot! I had to go to a leadership skills training thing which she was holding and after I told the entire class about one of the many times the idiot in me was exposed, the lady told the entire class that she becomes really happy when she sees me in her training because she knows that it'll be a hilarious class. She has no idea that she's only met the extroverted public speaker facade. :innocent:

The two traits are strangely contradictory, but they
Manitude
  • Entertainment Forum Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
To a certain extent, yes. I used to hate public speaking, but recently I've had a very good experience/feedback so I'm a lot more enthusiastic about it, and speaking to 100+ people doesn't really worry me. I still muddle up my words if I don't prepare properly, but for some reason it doesn't bother me as much as it used to.
Xabier
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
There are a surprisingly large number of actor and actresses who, despite being shy, are somehow good at performing - when they act, they lose their shyness temporarily.
Padwas
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by sallyware)
Oddly, I'm the opposite.
I knew i was not alone
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I love public speaking and used to be socially awkward, and now i'm normal lol.
MagicNMedicine
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I don't think there's really a correlation between who is good at public speaking and who is socially confident. A lot of the most socially confident people I know shy away from public speaking. I like public speaking, I wouldn't say I was socially awkward but I'm probably quiet in a social occasion in a group, usually I will be one of the people that speaks the least and just takes in what others are saying. But in speaking in front of a group I am usually confident and not short of things to say.
Leon Trotsky
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by james1211)
I love public speaking and used to be socially awkward, and now i'm normal lol.
Lol
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE Physics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (195)
30.42%
The paper was reasonable (257)
40.09%
Not feeling great about that exam... (110)
17.16%
It was TERRIBLE (79)
12.32%

Watched Threads