The Student Room Group

Currys Interview advice.

Hello fellow users I am in need of some advice. I am currently studying at University and have never had a job before. I applied for a Christmas position at Currys. I had a phone interview with a lovely lady a few days ago and today the manager has phoned to say I have an interview in store this Saturday. Can somebody please advise me on what I can expect generally or experience specifically relating to Currys? Thank you
Reply 1
Hi there,
I've been looking around for advice also as I will probably be having a phone interview with them tomorrow. How did your interview go? Did they make you do the role play and the 5minutes to impress which I've read about on a few threads? Hope it all wen well!
Reply 2
Original post by powerhac
Hi there,
I've been looking around for advice also as I will probably be having a phone interview with them tomorrow. How did your interview go? Did they make you do the role play and the 5minutes to impress which I've read about on a few threads? Hope it all wen well!

Hi I thought about not telling the truth so you wouldn't over worry but I think been honest is the best policy. Phone interview is very straightforward and I had a lovely lady so I would not worry about that and there is nothing you need to prepare for that. Just be yourself and you should be fine.
The actual interview however for me was terrible. I was applying for a christmas role in my local store in York so I will tell you how it went and hopefully you can pick something up that helps you
1) The manager asked why I wanted to work in a store when if I really wanted to I would not have gone to university. I was then asked what I want to do with my degree to which he disagreed and told me I was wrong.
2) The manager then asked me about products Currys sell then after I answered he said "So your Geek? Why would I want to hire a Geek?"
3) He then questioned why I bought my latest Laptop from Argos instead of Currys
My advice to you is be very careful how you word things I don't know if it was just the manager interviewing me but he was not very approachable.
In reponse to your questions they did not make me role play and I was told at the start I would have 5 minutes at the end to impress and do whatever I want but when the end game he did not give me these 5 minutes. The hardest question was "Tell me a time where you experienced heavy change and how did you deal with it". I did noy as you have gatheered by now get the job sadly. If you have anymore questions feel free to ask best of luck with your application.
Reply 3
Hi there i have a interview on sunday at currys and i was told there will be 15-20 people as its a group interview. I was also told that i have 5 minutes to impress and also a roleplay of a gadget that i will bring ( in my head im thinking my ipad). I want to know will i be doing the 5 minute impress and roleplay infront of everyone? And also what questions will i be asked.
Thank You
Reply 4
Original post by The_Oracle95
Hello fellow users I am in need of some advice. I am currently studying at University and have never had a job before. I applied for a Christmas position at Currys. I had a phone interview with a lovely lady a few days ago and today the manager has phoned to say I have an interview in store this Saturday. Can somebody please advise me on what I can expect generally or experience specifically relating to Currys? Thank you

Hi, so yesterday (22 March 2014) I had a face to face interview with the manager at my local Currys which is a fairly small store but large enough to house all of the electrical goods (fridges, laptops, tablets, TVs, ovens etc). Incase anyone stumbles upon this nervous about a interview with Curry's I will tell you all the process.
Firstly, I applied online and filled out all of the relevant details which wasn't difficult at all. Then about 2 weeks later I had a woman ring me up with a short phone interview and asked when I'm available to work e.g sundays, bank holidays, half terms etc and then was asked a few simple questions like "Why are you interested in working here" "What do you currently do e.g at college, studying, unemployed etc),"What days are you available to work", "Do you drive" (I said I'm learning to as I'm currently 17 years old) and then said that she would pass these details to the manager and if successful I would get a face to face interview... which I did. He rung me up and asked when I could come in store for a interview and so yesterday it happened. I walked in, asking to see the manager as I have a job interview and then he took me into the back room into, I assume, was his office and asked me to take a seat. P.s just a general guide for any interview make sure you smile, give a firm handshake and remain in an open stance as body language can often give a positive/negative view. He asked me a few questions like "Why are you interested in working here" and "Tell me a bit about yourself" and they were pretty much about the only questions and the rest are ALL competency based questions and there were about 6/7 that I got asked regarding a change in your life/how did you deal with it, a few about customer service, and then about organising time etc. He then explained more about the job, the type of work, the training that I would be given if successful and a general overview of the place. He then said he would be in contact within the next few days to then spend a few hours in the store demonstrating a few products and so I am now waiting. So for anyone stressing about an interview (mainly Currys) then do not panic, try best to keep your nerves away and just relax as the manager would obviously know that you're nervous as a job interview is something that only happens a few times in one's careers. The manager also told me that 31 applicants applied online, 13 got through to the phone interview and then 5 got to the face-to-face interview and said that he was looking to employ 2/3 people so thumbs up!! Anyway I know this has been wordy but I hope anyone who is having an interview with Currys specifically that this has helped and I have managed to give a lot of detail of what to expect :smile:
Original post by 26december
Hi, so yesterday (22 March 2014) I had a face to face interview with the manager at my local Currys which is a fairly small store but large enough to house all of the electrical goods (fridges, laptops, tablets, TVs, ovens etc). Incase anyone stumbles upon this nervous about a interview with Curry's I will tell you all the process.
Firstly, I applied online and filled out all of the relevant details which wasn't difficult at all. Then about 2 weeks later I had a woman ring me up with a short phone interview and asked when I'm available to work e.g sundays, bank holidays, half terms etc and then was asked a few simple questions like "Why are you interested in working here" "What do you currently do e.g at college, studying, unemployed etc),"What days are you available to work", "Do you drive" (I said I'm learning to as I'm currently 17 years old) and then said that she would pass these details to the manager and if successful I would get a face to face interview... which I did. He rung me up and asked when I could come in store for a interview and so yesterday it happened. I walked in, asking to see the manager as I have a job interview and then he took me into the back room into, I assume, was his office and asked me to take a seat. P.s just a general guide for any interview make sure you smile, give a firm handshake and remain in an open stance as body language can often give a positive/negative view. He asked me a few questions like "Why are you interested in working here" and "Tell me a bit about yourself" and they were pretty much about the only questions and the rest are ALL competency based questions and there were about 6/7 that I got asked regarding a change in your life/how did you deal with it, a few about customer service, and then about organising time etc. He then explained more about the job, the type of work, the training that I would be given if successful and a general overview of the place. He then said he would be in contact within the next few days to then spend a few hours in the store demonstrating a few products and so I am now waiting. So for anyone stressing about an interview (mainly Currys) then do not panic, try best to keep your nerves away and just relax as the manager would obviously know that you're nervous as a job interview is something that only happens a few times in one's careers. The manager also told me that 31 applicants applied online, 13 got through to the phone interview and then 5 got to the face-to-face interview and said that he was looking to employ 2/3 people so thumbs up!! Anyway I know this has been wordy but I hope anyone who is having an interview with Currys specifically that this has helped and I have managed to give a lot of detail of what to expect :smile:

Thank you so much for that info!!

I applied for a job at Curry's a month ago... never got it. Another same position opened up recently at the same store so I decided to go in there and speak to the manager, he said he saw my CV, was impressed and has booked me in with an interview with the recruitment manager tomorrow! I'm slightly worried it will be a group interview? Mine seems like it will be slightly different because it wont be an interview with the manager? But either way, in the email it didn't say it would be a group interview so I'm really hoping it's not. I know s*** loads about camera's and computing (sorry to brag) so I hope that will make them employ me. I've seen some people in the past that said they needed to do a maths exam... which I hope I don't, I'm disgraceful at maths... honestly haha!

The key points that benefit me is that... I know lots about cameras and computing (incl accessories). It states in the email that I need to talk about myself for 5 minutes which I can do, I've had so much experience in film production, free lance work, and just other events even though I'm 17.

Hope I get the job, this is the first time I've ever gotten an interview and reading your post cheered me up!

Thanks so much,

George Power Finch.
Reply 6
Good luck to you guys who got the interview,

But PC World/Currys really annoyed me, I applied for a job in three different stores a few months ago and I haven't gotten any replies back from them. When I check my account all three say "Your application is in progress" so I don't know what to do, I want to apply again but don't want them to just leave my application there.
Original post by FireX
Good luck to you guys who got the interview,

But PC World/Currys really annoyed me, I applied for a job in three different stores a few months ago and I haven't gotten any replies back from them. When I check my account all three say "Your application is in progress" so I don't know what to do, I want to apply again but don't want them to just leave my application there.

If I were you I'd go in there and speak to the manager. Bring your CV just incase he asks to see it. If you're confident with electronics then you should get an interview. :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by georgepowerfinch
If I were you I'd go in there and speak to the manager. Bring your CV just incase he asks to see it. If you're confident with electronics then you should get an interview. :smile:

Well I went in as I had to buy some cables, spoke to the manager and told him what happened, he just ignored what I said and told me to apply online again because there are vacancies but when I go check there isn't any :/
Reply 9
Sorry to bump an old thread but what did people do for their five minutes to impress? I have an interview there this weekend but I don't know what kind of stuff they're expecting.
Reply 10
Hey guys after doing a little bit of research i bumped in to this thread. I'm going for my interview tomorrow and for my 5 minutes i'm just going to tell a few jokes and do a magic trick. I assume they would want you to do something a little bit out of the box and creative that shows what a cool person you are! I'm fairly certain I will get the job, hopefully I can remember to keep you updated.
Don't work for that trash
i have my interview tomorrow but i haven't been sent an email which they said they would send... i'm not even working for the company yet but im a little bit disappointed with their lack of organisation!

edit: also i just realised this is an old post. oops!
Reply 13
Very old post xD, but my experience with applying for an interview has been exceptional so far. I applied online and done a 20 minute test on Friday, the day after a pleasant women phoned me from Currys down my road and asked me a couple of questions like 'Where are you currently studying?' and went through a brief overview of the job and that it'll be flexible hours (part-time). She offered to give me a 1-1 interview with the manager on the Wednesday.
She gave me all the information I needed, such as what to bring with me and where to go upon arriving for the interview.

I am only 16 years old, so I am quite nervous as it'll be my first job interview, however I love technology and can speak about it for days so hopefully this will go well considering I'm entering this with no work experience.

Will make another post after my interview on Wednesday.
Original post by powerhac
Hi there,

Sorry I didn't actually apply I was just wanted someones opinion what is the process or stages you have to go through as I've not looked into it properly yet. It's always best to hear from someone who's gone through it you see. Thanks though, I didn't know about that 5 minite to impress someone, I'm not sure if that's true I hope that's just a wind up. So good look with this.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending