Turn on thread page Beta
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    hi,

i have finished my a levels, and i was just wondering whether anybody needed any help deciding which a levels to choose. Just wanted to offer any advice.

Wackysparkle

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wackysparkle)
    hi,

i have finished my a levels, and i was just wondering whether anybody needed any help deciding which a levels to choose. Just wanted to offer any advice.

Wackysparkle
    Hmm, what A-levels did you do?

ReputationRep:
    at the moment i've got
    - maths
    - physics
    - philosphy - which im definate about

not sure what to do for the 4th, orginally it was politics, but im tempted to do history or posibly english.

i'd like to do something like PPE at uni.

your help would be great!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    i did chemistry (AS), biology, mathematicz, and art. I have experience with the other a levels as well coz of my friends, and i have a good idea about all the other science a levels indefinately.
    I can also help you choose the combination of a levels as well as the number of a levels that you should be doing.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    wave o mutilation: firstly, can you just tell me how good u r @ mathematicz. Also, a piece of advice about physicz: its the easieist science!
    PPE??...sorry not good at the shorthand

ReputationRep:
    wave o mutilation: firstly, can you just tell me how good u r @ mathematicz. Also, a piece of advice about physicz: its the easieist science!
    PPE??...sorry not good at the shorthand
    PPE = Philosphy, Politics and Economics. I'd possibly recommend Economics A-level as your other choice.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    good call calcium878. Definate economics selection needs to be made.
    Actualy, a perfect piece of advice would be that you check our the universities that you have 'hopefully' chosen already, to find out what their requirements are, coz sometimes they have preferences. Coz, for me, since i applied for architecture, my uni wanted art as a requirement for a level.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    calcium878..........about chemistry, be prepared.

ReputationRep:
    Wackysparkle.
    I am taknig Maths, Chemistry, Psychology and History/Econmics.

Can you give me as much information as possible about each subject and recommed History or Economics.
    Also what did you mean about chemistry, cheers, appriciate it, Joe.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    okay here goes:

maths is brilliant, although take care, what grade were u predicted? then i can advice u accordingly.
    Our school offered buisness studies not economix so can't offer advice there. But, judging from my friends text book on history, a lot of material needs to be learnt. In the exam u will be expected to express ur answers from observations of sources that are presented to u. But deinfately a lot of material to learn.

I did chemistry for one year ONLY...i 'll tell u y later in this message
    chemistry depends on how good u r at it. In a level u re-learn everything, nothing in GCSE is actually needed coz it turns out that most of it is wrong. they did that coz if u learnt the real stuff, u would have to learn the xplanations as well, so the easy route was to learn stuff that wasn't exatly right! stupid? yeah i know!
    Chemistry gets harder and harder, although this is just an opinion. Ignore that...to be objective: u have to be able to learn equations, thoeries as well as certain techniques. This requres a logical mind, if u have that, u have an advantage. if u want more info on chemisty i'll post more.

About y i dropped it. I needed chem if i wanted to be a doctor. but i didn't do well in my first year, coz my teacher didn't supply the necessary teaching, he skipped bits didn't do past papers and wasnt at all helpful, so come revision, i memorised instead of learning and din't do good. I resat and got an acceptable grade. but i decided not to pursue my dream of becoming a doctor coz i realised i wouldn't have anyone to help me at all...i needed an A to even be considered by universities.
    i decided instead to do architecture.

the most importnat thing. choose subjects that u are good at, NOT wat u think ur good at, and DONT get influeced by ur peers.

ReputationRep:
    hi,

Wackysparkle
    What grades did you get at GCSE and AS and what grades are you predicted for the exams u've just done? Thanks.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    For GCSE:

eng lit. A*
    eng lang A ( 3 marks off A* )
    maths A*
    science BB (stupid physics...was predicted an A or possibly A*)
    IT C (sucky teacher...need the book: IT for dummies to teach.. i aint kiddin)
    french A*
    Art A
    Geography A

AS
    Art A (300/300 !!!)
    Maths A
    bio (resat so don't know AS)
    chem C

A level predicted grades
    bio A
    maths A
    art A

ReputationRep:
    You got A and A* for English,yet it appears you can't spell... :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brimstone)
    You got A and A* for English,yet it appears you can't spell... :confused:
    Thats what I was thinking, he claims that he got full marks in an art exam:eek: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

edit: Maybe he did, in which case i'm impressed

ReputationRep:
    calcium878..........about chemistry, be prepared.
    I'll have to take it in my stride.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wave_o_mutilation)
    at the moment i've got
    - maths
    - physics
    - philosphy - which im definate about

not sure what to do for the 4th, orginally it was politics, but im tempted to do history or posibly english.

i'd like to do something like PPE at uni.

your help would be great!
    Politics or history would be the most relevant for a PPE degree, but if you'd prefer to do English, I'm sure it wouldn't be a disadvantage as you'll have maths and philosophy anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by K..W.Studd)
    Can you give me as much information as possible about each subject and recommed History or Economics.
    I can't speak for economics, but I can give you some general information about history if you like, since I took it. If you did GCSE, you'll have to get used to a different style where it's less about the facts (although there are still lots of them) and more about analysing, evaluating and applying your knowledge, so it's a pretty big step up and also a big workload. You'll have to be good at interpreting sources and also writing essays. It's challenging, but should be good fun if you're interested in the topics. That will make a big difference, so check out what exactly you'd be studying and see if it interests you.

ReputationRep:
    I like the Chemistry comments and I can do all that =)

Logical Mind + Intelligence + Partial good looks = Cataclysm

ReputationRep:
    Im taking:
    Bio
    Psychology
    Eng lit
    AND maybe maths.

I chose maths because i enjoy the challenge and its different to any other subject. However, i have been doing the higher work and its gone waaaaay over my head. If i can scrape a B i will be so happy!! So, im guessing you will advise me not to take it?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    actually i'm afraid i would say that. If you found higher tier math hard then i guess u shouldn't do AS maths, coz it gets harder, where you have to learn calculus and stuff. There were ppl in my class who got Cz and Bz, they found the math really hard, and since you said that you would be lucky to 'scrape' a B, then i am guessing that u were predicted a c?, in which case, you may find maths too hard in AS.
    In maths AS, there are 3 units: C1, C2, and a choice of one of the applied maths, i took statistics! (that was boring!), C1 is quite straightforward and easy, C2 is a bit more of a challenge, and statistics is really easy if u r good at just memorizing methods.
    Although, i strongly advise you to think about this, coz maths wil not be easy for you if you are predicted a C.

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.