Turn on thread page Beta

Who are more privileged nowadays? Men or women? watch

• View Poll Results: More privileged?
    Men
    44.93%
    Women
    55.07%

ReputationRep:
    We have men who have suicide rates through the roof and are expected to not show any emotion. Then we have women who have absolutely no responsibilities in the world whatsoever.

ReputationRep:
    Men

coz I said so

ReputationRep:
    my ****

ReputationRep:
    in the western world, of course it's women , not even close.

- the welfare state is pretty much a transfer of money from men to women since men pay by far most of the taxes and women get most of the rewards
    - women use the public health system much more often and for longer since they die later
    - women live much longer, huge part being the money and effort invested in drawing attention to women's health issues compared to men's (how many breast cancer awareness do you see compared to prostate cancer?)
    - women get much shorter prison sentences
    - women arrested for a crime are also significantly more likely to avoid charges and convictions entirely, and twice as likely to avoid incarceration if convicted
    - divorce courts heavily favor women
    - women have many more charities, shelters, help lines etc
    - women get scholarships just because of their gender even though they are now 60% or more of college students and rising
    - at least 75% of homeless people are men (90% in some cases)
    - at least 90-95% of work related deaths are men
    - women can hit men and it's empowering, the other way around is a mortal sin
    - women are not expected to fight or die in wars
    - women are not expected to risk their lives or health for others, man up grow balls etc (how many women cleaned up cernobyl or fukushima ? ZERO. how many women were on that ship with bruce willis when he blew up the asteroid? ZERO)
    - there's much much more (gym hours for women only, free club entry, wimbledon prizes bla bla) but they are trivial ; although they do add up....

after all, how could it be otherwise when we all know women are wonderful .

ReputationRep:
    At the very top of pay/society/class, men. (On about the 1%)

Everyone else? Both sexes have issues.

Guess the difference is a lot of effort going into women's side. None for the mens side. No doubt the feminist will come in and claim I'm so insanely privileged being white, male thus dont need any help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GrumpyCat)
    At the very top of pay/society/class, men. (On about the 1%)
    if they got to where they are on their own they are not privileged. if they were bullingdon boys and co types , then yes.

but even then, their wives are also incredibly privileged. many of them have never worked a day in their lives, have infinite money to spend and enjoy the highest status possible. if anything , the women are even more privileged since most of these guys work super long hours to stay at the top of their game while they do something part time that's basically a hobby or not work at all. and if they get divorced the courts make sure they get a ''fair'' deal.

ReputationRep:
    lol i see the women are starting to vote now, but as usual they don't want to get into it. just click the option their feelings are telling them is right and go hide back into the shadows, like scared little mice.

it's ok to debate, girls, really. even better if you can actually back it up with facts. go ahead, name some of these male privileges you speak of.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    In the ways that matter, still men. Better career prospects, higher wages, don't have to carry children, fewer health problems until very old.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by arson_fire)
    But if the couple are both OK with that then whats the problem? If you don`t need to work then why work - nobody lies on their deathbed saying "I wish i`d spent longer in the office"

Butthurt virgin
    Such a well thought out reply. :facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    Ok, let's talk about how women are oppressed in the western world
    -paid less, less likely to get promoted
    -sexualised all the time (being harassed in the street, being felt up by strangers), as well as more serious sexual abuse such as rape
    -men who feel contemptuous of women, see them as weaker and more stupid, objectify them (perfect example on this thread)
    -under represented in many jobs, for example women's sport is highly underrated compared to men's
    -expected to conform to much more rigorous physical societal norms, ie shaving all body hair, makeup
    -often just judged on their bodies and attractiveness, but are either seen as frumpy or slutty
    -more anorexia and disorders stemming from distorted body image, because more pressure is put on them to be attractive
    -represented as over sexualised stereotypes and many films only have one token woman character as a live interest
    -slut shamed, whereas men can have all the sex they want
    -if they have children and they don't work they're seen as not contributing to society (as seen in this thread, even though if we didn't raise children where would society be?)
    -however if they don't settle down it's assumed there's something wrong with them
    -constantly being demonised by forums like these
    just a few reasons, off the top of my head, but that's why there is positive discrimination in place, because men are prevalent in a lot of careers and women don't have a history of being more privileged so they don't have that natural advantage

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    In the ways that matter, still men. Better career prospects, higher wages, don't have to carry children, fewer health problems until very old.
    women can choose the same careers as men (there are women surgeons, ceo's, pilots, pretty much anything etc), nobody is stopping them.

HP , IBM, PepsiCo, Lockheed Martin, Xerox and Yahoo all have women ceo's.

most women do not want to work 70hr weeks, do overtime, work weekends just to get ahead in the corporate world. they'd rather have more family and friends time and they choose their degrees then later jobs as something they enjoy doing, not as a quest for more money and corporate status. and that's fine with them, because society says it's ok. they are not expected to provide or gain status.

- carrying children and health issues are part of biology and have nothing to do with social privileges

ReputationRep:
    Women.

Every moment I walk out of my front door I feel objectified because I am a woman, I feel like there is an expectation of me to act in a certain way, I feel like people expect me to follow a particular career path, I feel like people expect me to have children.

Even in my household, when was the last time my dad cooked dinner or washed the dishes and my mum sat down and watched tv? When we have visitors, why is it always me in the kitchen getting the tea? Why do people expect me to be stupid? And why do I feel that I am getting dumber every single day in the working world?

It's a touchy subject for me, but men will never understand how difficult it is to be expected to act 'like a woman'

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, you might feel as though women have more advantages, but at least you didn't have to fight for centuries to even be seen as a human being.

People forget that there are absolute and unarguable differences between men and women. We are not equal and never will be equal in these respects. If the human race is to continue, then the fact that women give birth and nurture while the men provide (as their contribution - because the women don't get to choose how they contribute due to biological fact) is something that cannot be argued.

And for people who say "oh I'm a single parent, I don't need no man" just consider where any benefits that you might receive may come from. Tax payers, the highest of which are men.

Of course there are exceptions, I get that, so please don't saddle up your horse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CM19)
    Women.

Every moment I walk out of my front door I feel objectified because I am a woman, I feel like there is an expectation of me to act in a certain way, I feel like people expect me to follow a particular career path, I feel like people expect me to have children.

Even in my household, when was the last time my dad cooked dinner or washed the dishes and my mum sat down and watched tv? When we have visitors, why is it always me in the kitchen getting the tea? Why do people expect me to be stupid? And why do I feel that I am getting dumber every single day in the working world?

It's a touchy subject for me, but men will never understand how difficult it is to be expected to act 'like a woman'

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I think it's harder to act 'like a man', since you have to be emotionless and the leader all the time. Thus why the suicides are so high for men than women.

(Original post by Limebuddhist)
    Ok, let's talk about how women are oppressed in the western world
    -paid less, less likely to get promoted
    -sexualised all the time (being harassed in the street, being felt up by strangers), as well as more serious sexual abuse such as rape
    -men who feel contemptuous of women, see them as weaker and more stupid, objectify them (perfect example on this thread)
    -under represented in many jobs, for example women's sport is highly underrated compared to men's
    -expected to conform to much more rigorous physical societal norms, ie shaving all body hair, makeup
    -often just judged on their bodies and attractiveness, but are either seen as frumpy or slutty
    -more anorexia and disorders stemming from distorted body image, because more pressure is put on them to be attractive
    -represented as over sexualised stereotypes and many films only have one token woman character as a live interest
    -slut shamed, whereas men can have all the sex they want
    -if they have children and they don't work they're seen as not contributing to society (as seen in this thread, even though if we didn't raise children where would society be?)
    -however if they don't settle down it's assumed there's something wrong with them
    -constantly being demonised by forums like these
    just a few reasons, off the top of my head, but that's why there is positive discrimination in place, because men are prevalent in a lot of careers and women don't have a history of being more privileged so they don't have that natural advantage
    You talk about societal pressure but let's talk statistics. There isn't a single country I know of with a higher female suicide count than men. Most countries have extremely high differences.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...n-gender-issue

ReputationRep:
    one of the best examples on how men are viewed:

"Women have always been the primary victims of war. Women lose their husbands, their fathers, their sons in combat." Hillary Clinton
    is this real life? millions and millions of men die or return home without arms and legs, eyes and **** knows what else, disfigured, with horrible mental problems, flashbacks, nightmares, end up homeless, addicted to drugs and women suffer more? are you mother****ing kidding me? entire generations of men were lost or came home with mutilated bodies and souls and this is what they get. the media always emphasizes ''women and children'' being killed (obv i agree about the children) , but what about the men if they were civilians as well? a good recent example was the syrian civil war when the US administration stated exactly that. what about the men? they weren't combatants, just civilians... are men immune to gas and chemical warfare?

think about how much attention a woman getting killed gets in the press. sometimes even a woman being raped gets more space than a man that was murdered. think about women in the army getting captured by the enemy , the media can't get enough of it. same thing happens to a man, meh, who cares, it's business as usual, he is forgotten days later. he's a bloke, he can take it.

society needs to reconsider the concepts of men being disposable and women being wonderful. we are all people, with good and bad. one sex is not angelic and the other is not demonic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vendettax)

You talk about societal pressure but let's talk statistics. There isn't a single country I know of with a higher female suicide count than men. Most countries have extremely high differences.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...n-gender-issue
    yeah those aren't even examples of male privilege, it's mostly about not being fat or being sexualized, like you said, societal pressures. im ean i could have mentioned men are expected to ask women out, pay for dates, take charge and all the **** . plus i don't want to waste more time explaining why the pay gap is complete bs or why men's sports get more money and attention. google ''pay gap myth'' and watch women play a sport then men do it.

ReputationRep:
    Objectively, at the current state, I'd still say men. However, we're rapidly reaching a stage where women are more privileged though will refuse to admit it because it undermines such a position. I mean why would women want equality when they can avoid going to war, gain more preference when it comes to matters of health and endure far shorter prison sentences?

women
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by mimi112)
    society needs to reconsider the concepts of men being disposable and women being wonderful. we are all people, with good and bad. one sex is not angelic and the other is not demonic.
    How do you suggest we do that?

Most feminists agree with what you say here wholeheartedly - men are just as harmed by the patriarchy/societal attitudes towards gender as women are. That's why feminists are looking to fight against that (although obviously they're often focusing on the specific parts of society that hurt women directly - especially given the under-representation of women in the parts of society that make these decisions)...with a side effect being that it should be acceptable for a man to stay at home and care for his kids, should not be assumed that men will work longer hours and sacrifice their family and social life for work, shouldn't be assumed that men are so shallow that they'll buy a newspaper to stare at some titties rather than for the news related content, shouldn't be assumed that "pretty women" on the front of magazines/newspapers make more money that "interesting people", shouldn't be assumed that masculine traits are "good" and feminine traits are "bad" and that any man who shows or displays their feelings is "unmanly" (just as any woman who shows strength shouldn't be dismissed as a *****).

As I say - I agree we need to address the way society makes assumptions about men and women - those assumptions and attitudes hurt us all.

Who do you feel is responsible for these attitudes?
    How do you think we can get them to change?

ReputationRep:
    Here come the feminists...:rolleyes:

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.