Breathing question for the Drs on here :P Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Please keep anon or delete

Basically I have mild asthma which gets bad when I have a cold but the rest of time time doesn't bother me, GERD and apparently anxiety. Ive always been a nervous person but had some chest pain a while go and went to see a doctor. I do still get this but it doesn't come as much as it used to but the past few days/week I seem to be randomly getting breathless when at rest. Not really sure what this is, I have had a test recently at my DRs for oxygen levels and had 99%, used to be a competitive swimmer and he put it down to stress. But the past few days/week I've randomly feeling as if I'm short of breath, not panting but just feel like I'm short of breath. It happened this morning in physics after waiting outside the room for it to start and continued for about 40 mins, I could still talk and act normal but it didn't feel right and sat here now it doesn't either, any idea what this could be? I do also get some chest pain inside but haven't actually had in past few days. I don't want to have to go to the DRs again because my parents would flip.....
Doctor_Einstein
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Answer these questions for an enhanced diagnosis.

Noticed any abnormal heart rhythms? Notice any leg swelling? What pain do you get? Is the pain worse when breathing? Is it stabbing pain, or tightness? Does your heart rate change during these episodes? Is breathing worse on exercise? What was the chest pain like that you went to the doctor for? Did he do chest X-ray? Noticed Increased urine volume? Current medications?

Possibilities:
- Anxiety
- Asthma
- Infection
- Pneumothorax
- Anemia
- Heart Valve Disease
- Heart Failure
- Thyroid problem
- Diabetes
- Renal Failure
tania<3
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Wait, what? Why would your parents flip about you going to the doctors? :lolwut:

Surely they'd be worried and want to make sure everythings okay?

Asking for advice online is never going to be enough. You need someone to have a look at you, and listen to your heart and chest. You can't do those things online...
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Doctor_Einstein)

Noticed any abnormal heart rhythms? Notice any leg swelling? What pain do you get? Is the pain worse when breathing? Is it stabbing pain, or tightness? Does your heart rate change during these episodes? Is breathing worse on exercise? What was the chest pain like that you went to the doctor for? Did he do chest X-ray? Noticed Increased urine volume? Current medications?

Possibilities:
- Anxiety
- Asthma
- Infection
- Pneumothorax
- Anemia
- Heart Valve Disease
- Heart Failure
- Thyroid problem
- Diabetes
- Renal Failure
I do have the odd heart flutter occasionally but my mum has had the same thing. Nah no swelling from what I can see not felt any either apart from the odd throb occasionally. With regard to the breathing, I feel As if I can't breath fully in, that I'm not getting enough oxygen. It comes in like patches, like I'll go through a phase for about 1 hour, I am starting to be able to feel them coming on. Basically after that it's as of nothin happened but when it does happen it's scary My HR does change when I start worrying but apart From that not really. My breathing when I excessive is fine apart from lots of phylum. No chest X-Ray was done, actually maybe a little more urine volume than usual. And I'm on a flickzotide asthma inhaler and a blue one I believe.

Thanks a lot for replying it means a lot if there's and other questions just say

Posted from TSR Mobile
Doctor_Einstein
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You know that you are no longer anonymous by the way.
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yes, I'm not too fussed. But if it helps I just had one this morning, like a bad dry cough came from no where and has now gone, I also felt really quite physically sick

Posted from TSR Mobile
Doctor_Einstein
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Do you find you need to sleep on multiple pillows at night? Do you ever wake up in the night feeling breathless? What was the chest pain that you saw the doctor for? What is tight, or sharp, or worse when taking a deep breath etc.?

Any abdominal pain?

Are you on a diet at all?
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Do you find you need to sleep on multiple pillows at night? Do you ever wake up in the night feeling breathless? What was the chest pain that you saw the doctor for? What is tight, or sharp, or worse when taking a deep breath etc.?

Any abdominal pain?

Are you on a diet at all?
I have started using multiple pillows for gerd to keep the acid down but it is definitely not essential! Nah I've never woken up at night feeling breathless. I saw the doc for stabbing pain inside my chest and like where my ribs were, he put it down to just rib pain basically. If I'm having one of these phases sometimes taking a deep breath can cause pain but the pain I experience seems to move about from one day to the next :/ I normally don't have chest pain when my breathing goes funny (can't recall a time apart from once when they seem to have come at the same time). Cheers

Posted from TSR Mobile
shiggydiggy
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

Possibilities:
- Anxiety
- Asthma
- Infection
- Pneumothorax
- Anemia
- Heart Valve Disease
- Heart Failure
- Thyroid problem
- Diabetes
- Renal Failure
Do you think what you are doing is appropriate?
Doctor_Einstein
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by shiggydiggy)
Do you think what you are doing is appropriate?
What universal law prohibits asking such questions and providing information. What is appropriate and inappropriate is a cultural thing, and I don't follow the cultural norms indoctrinated in you by your society.
NinjaNerdfighter
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
This sounds very like what I have. My chest feels like it tightens up and I feel like I can't breathe properly, and this can happen at completely random points. Unfortunately, my doctor isn't really sure what causes it :-/ His current theory is that it might be anxiety induced and that I'm hyperventilating so he told me to breathe into a paper bag when I feel it happening to see if that has any effect. So far, it seems to have helped to at least a certain extent
Dilzo999
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by NinjaNerdfighter)
This sounds very like what I have. My chest feels like it tightens up and I feel like I can't breathe properly, and this can happen at completely random points. Unfortunately, my doctor isn't really sure what causes it :-/ His current theory is that it might be anxiety induced and that I'm hyperventilating so he told me to breathe into a paper bag when I feel it happening to see if that has any effect. So far, it seems to have helped to at least a certain extent
Exactly what happened to me, I had asthma around August and apparently it was due to "allergens" however I didn't have any Asthma symptoms for over a year and stopped using my inhalers. It felt like my chest was really tight and every breath I took didn't catch and it felt horrible.
NinjaNerdfighter
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Dilzo999)
Exactly what happened to me, I had asthma around August and apparently it was due to "allergens" however I didn't have any Asthma symptoms for over a year and stopped using my inhalers. It felt like my chest was really tight and every breath I took didn't catch and it felt horrible.
So are you still not using your inhalers or have you started using them again?
moonkatt
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Just as a point, seeing as some people want to give diagnoses in this thread:

Health - for information and advice on any aspects of physical and mental wellbeing. Remember all advice is unprofessional and what someone online says does not replace a trip to the GP!

If you are concerned about something to do with your health, sometimes it's best to go see your GP.

OP, in your case, it's probably the best idea to see your GP and be assessed properly.
Dilzo999
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
So are you still not using your inhalers or have you started using them again?
I used them for about a few weeks during that point and they did not help one bit. All that cured me was time.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Yes this sounds quite similar to myself, hey maybe it is anxiety. I might have to try than paper bag thing
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (200)
22.57%
The paper was reasonable (402)
45.37%
Not feeling great about that exam... (165)
18.62%
It was TERRIBLE (119)
13.43%

Watched Threads