Quantum Mechanic EPQ Watch

FelixTheKat
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hello all,

I am doing an EPQ in school, and I have the question of "To what extent does Quantum physics explain the nature of mass and energy".

So, do you think this is too vague, or would it be an acceptable title. I was hoping due to the title, I could possibly include a little string theory/particle physics, as a comparison.

And if this an acceptable title, does anyone have any websites which would help?

Thank you
FelixTheKat
Rep:
?
BUMP
FelixTheKat
Rep:
?
BUMP
FelixTheKat
Rep:
?
BUMP
Doctor_Einstein
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Bad question, quantum physics doesn't really explain mass and energy. Quantum physics doesn't say much about mass, but it does describe some of the properties of energy through quantisation etc.
Pessimisterious
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yeah, bad question.

'Quantum physics' is just an area of study. Right now your question is kind of similar to saying, "To what extent does Biology prove whales exist.' It's just a bit open and vague.

Really you should say something like, "To what extent does 'X' Theory explain 'X' observations."

You kind of need more of a specific point to go from, I think.

Posted from TSR Mobile
FelixTheKat
Rep:
?
(Original post by Pessimisterious)
Yeah, bad question.

'Quantum physics' is just an area of study. Right now your question is kind of similar to saying, "To what extent does Biology prove whales exist.' It's just a bit open and vague.

Really you should say something like, "To what extent does 'X' Theory explain 'X' observations."

You kind of need more of a specific point to go from, I think.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks

How about "What has been the role of theory and experimentation in the major advances in Quantum Physics"

I could introduce it as an idea, and give examples of theories, the experiments that backed them up, and the maths which this derived. I would then write a conclusion comparing it to classical physics, with its maths and experiments, and show the value of experimentation and maths in each.
FelixTheKat
Rep:
?
(Original post by Doctor_Einstein)
Bad question, quantum physics doesn't really explain mass and energy. Quantum physics doesn't say much about mass, but it does describe some of the properties of energy through quantisation etc.
Thank you

What do think of my different title.
Doctor_Einstein
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I think as a topic, there is a lot more in this new one, I like it much better. I'm not familiar with the EPQ system, so I cannot say whether it fits the criteria you require, but it is a wholesome topic at least.
FelixTheKat
Rep:
?
(Original post by Doctor_Einstein)
I think as a topic, there is a lot more in this new one, I like it much better. I'm not familiar with the EPQ system, so I cannot say whether it fits the criteria you require, but it is a wholesome topic at least.
I wanted to compare how experiments in classical physics have been a lot simpler, compared to the quantum approach, which favours theory first, and seeks to find an experiment to back it up.

EG it is easy to do an experiment to check the effect of air resistance, but less easy to create an experiment that shows the nature of light.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Arts University Bournemouth
    Art and Design Foundation Diploma Further education
    Sat, 25 May '19
  • SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 May '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 30 May '19

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (104)
19.01%
The paper was reasonable (275)
50.27%
Not feeling great about that exam... (109)
19.93%
It was TERRIBLE (59)
10.79%

Watched Threads