The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
i think they would be pretty good, Hiatt Baker had some spare rooms last year so presumably everyone who was insurance had a place in halls if they wanted it.
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
I got a letter from Bristol today, I don't think the like being put as insurance!:biggrin: It says "if you have narrowly missed the terms of the offer, it is unlikely that we will be able to accept you," so I don't think there is much chance of getting in if you miss grades.

It says accomdation is not guarenteed and that is scary! They mention the "private sector" but I don't think i'd go if that was the case.
Reply 3
Theresa Smells
It says "if you have narrowly missed the terms of the offer, it is unlikely that we will be able to accept you," so I don't think there is much chance of getting in if you miss grades.

No, Bristol would be my insurance in case I got AAB instead of AAA (their standard Law offer is AAB). I don't think I would miss AAB. At least I hope not!
seaspray
No, Bristol would be my insurance in case I got AAB instead of AAA (their standard Law offer is AAB). I don't think I would miss AAB. At least I hope not!

Aye sorry I misread your original post! But yeah i'm in the same boat as you, I have to get ABB to get in Bristol and I think i'll do that...I hope.
It all depends on the year. If lots of departments end up having to take more people than they'd anticipated, there will be more freshers, and priority will obviously have to go to the guaranteed students. But I know last year that people who had Bristol as their insurance and even people who lived in the local area got into either Hiatt Baker, Badock or one of the student houses.
Reply 6
Yes, last year there was space empty in halls. and we were supposed to be a big year (in terms of numbers).

So, i think its a good chance. I'm not sure why there is space in some halls, as i think bristol is bigger than it has ever been .. perhaps they have allways had additoonal space in hiatt baker.
Reply 7
As long as you weren't going for Wills or Goldeny etc, you'd be fine I think
Reply 8
I was in your situation last year, and when I phoned up the tutor to ask about accommodation he scoffed at me and basically indicated that I would be certain to get accommodation. Don't worry - you're 99.9% sure to get a hall or student house place.
Reply 9
haha, dun worry... i missed out n bristol was my insurance. they placed me in hb. so most prob u'll haf a room :P plus if u dun haf u can always crash wif one of us for a short while :P

well if u r doing law u can crash wif me TEMPORARILY :P I live on park street wif my frens come august, hehe... law faculty is less than 5 mins walk away

ROCK ON!!! WOOT!
Reply 10
not a problem....

Missing insurance offer in Bristol:
i missed my offer for electrical engineering last year... they offered me AAB when i got ABB, they usually call u to tell u to wait till end of the day, where they will *usually* offer you.

Accomodation when Bristol is ur insurance:
They'll send u an e-mail saying what are available and u have to send back to them ur reply as soon as u get the e-mail.... usually Hiatt Baker and Baddock is on offer.
are Hiatt Baker and Baddock catered of self catered?
Reply 12
they r both catered.
what are the chances of getting anywhere self catered?... or would that just mean getting one of the student houses?
Reply 14
I think the chances of self-catered aren't as good as catered. But student houses would be the place if any.

You obviously would have no chance of goldney or durdham if you have an insurance choice.
Reply 15
Try lookign into Northwell house. It's a student house but operates like a hall just like Winkworth and it's always undersubscribed!
Reply 16
Slightly off topic but to do with whether you can get accommodation - they say people who live in Bristol already aren't likely to get into the oversubscribed halls but I heard the CHH JCR President is from Bristol...suspicious, non?
Reply 17
I missed my firm last year and was sent a little form saying self catered or catered. So the choice was hiatt baker or a student house. I picked self catered and a student house.. which put me in a student house... which I loved! I wasn't at Winkworth or Northwell but if you get offered these they are great and just like small halls. Winkworth was lovely.
Reply 18
PSEnglish
Slightly off topic but to do with whether you can get accommodation - they say people who live in Bristol already aren't likely to get into the oversubscribed halls but I heard the CHH JCR President is from Bristol...suspicious, non?

Not particularly - he may have had a very good reason for applying to halls. I doubt that they just say "oh you're from Bristol we'll put you in a crap one". Either you're from Bristol with a good reason to apply, in which case you're treated like everyone else, or you don't have a good reason and you're not guaranteed (guessing here). Makes more sense, non? :rolleyes:
phoenixv
haha, dun worry... i missed out n bristol was my insurance. they placed me in hb. so most prob u'll haf a room :P plus if u dun haf u can always crash wif one of us for a short while :P

well if u r doing law u can crash wif me TEMPORARILY :P I live on park street wif my frens come august, hehe... law faculty is less than 5 mins walk away

ROCK ON!!! WOOT!

Wow that's seriously nice of you.

Latest

Trending

Trending