Books that aren't considered 'literature', but should be. Watch

pierreboobvier
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
'Literature' meaning what is studied in schools, particularly on the A-Level spectrum e.g. 'Pride and Prejudice', Dickens, Shakespeare, Shelley, 'The Curious Incident of the Dog in The Nighttime', 'The Bell Jar' etc etc.

Are there any books that you believe SHOULD be classically acclaimed as literature that are not already? e.g. my class raised the argument that maybe the Harry Potter books should be, though maybe not for A-Level study.
FlavaFavourFruit
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Series of Unfortunate Events
Sir Killalot
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I definitely don't think Harry Potter should be.
Don't get me wrong, the concept and story is great, it's a shame that they're not actually very well written though.
Xabier
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
That's because it's more challenging to read pre 19th Century books. And the reason why Harry Potter would not be picked is because it's a basic children's book. You could hardly make essays on it.
Messalina
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
As far as I know it's not studied for any national curriculum, but The Wasp Factory by Iain Banks and The Cement Garden by Ian Mcewan should be up among the greats.
Neil_Lemon
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Watchmen graphic novel. I know, I know superheroes etc, but anyone who's read it knows it is nothing like any other 'superhero comic' and is actually extremely well written and has crazy depth (and a lot of subjects for essays). I suppose the comic format would make it unsuitable for A-level or whatever but it seems a shame there isn't a chance to write about it, it's amazing.
pierreboobvier
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sir Killalot)
I definitely don't think Harry Potter should be.
Don't get me wrong, the concept and story is great, it's a shame that they're not actually very well written though.
Yeah, that was our argument, because at the end of day, it is written for children. So it's not exactly challenging.

But, it has had a massive cultural effect, and is still massively popular after 20 years. But, it's nothing compared to another fantasy classic, though I can't think of any right now. And like you said, great story and concept.

Sorry, it's my coursework question, so I'm really struggling haha.
LovePeaceAwesome
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by KingKumar)
That's because it's more challenging to read pre 19th Century books. And the reason why Harry Potter would not be picked is because it's a basic children's book. You could hardly make essays on it.
I agree, but I don't think the Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime is challenging either (and whilst I didn't know that was studied, the OP has listed that it is)
weirdnessandcoffee
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm finding it very hard to think of books that should be included in the Literature syllabus that already are not included. Most of them are included, because they can be depicted, structurally challenging and analytical material.

I know Gatsby's on, perhaps his other novels like the Beautiful and Damned?
pierreboobvier
Rep:
?
(Original post by LovePeaceAwesome)
I agree, but I don't think the Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime is challenging either (and whilst I didn't know that was studied, the OP has listed that it is)
Curious Incident was on the AS syllabus last year, for sure. I remember flicking through my exam and seeing that and thinking '...Oh'.
LovePeaceAwesome
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by pierreboobvier)
Curious Incident was on the AS syllabus last year, for sure. I remember flicking through my exam and seeing that and thinking '...Oh'.
hahaha it seems more like a primary school book/year 7 book to me, but it's a good one
Катя
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
All the Sherlock Holmes books (but in particular The Adventures of and The Hound of the Baskervilles).
Leon Trotsky
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Isn't any document with written words technically literature? Did you mean literary fiction?
Plainview
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by pierreboobvier)
'Literature' meaning what is studied in schools.
(Original post by Leon Trotsky)
Isn't any document with written words technically literature?
No.
finnthehuman
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Halo novels

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ggmu!
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Agree with the guy who said watchmen. Watchmen is much more than a comic. It's an impressive read.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Nitrogen
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Катя)
All the Sherlock Holmes books (but in particular The Adventures of and The Hound of the Baskervilles).
Exactly, all the Sherlock Holmes novels and short stories are very well written. Agatha Christie's novels are wort a mention too.
battycatlady
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Messalina)
As far as I know it's not studied for any national curriculum, but The Wasp Factory by Iain Banks and The Cement Garden by Ian Mcewan should be up among the greats.
We did the Wasp Factory at school And we also did an Ian McEwan book :P
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE Physics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (487)
31.16%
The paper was reasonable (603)
38.58%
Not feeling great about that exam... (256)
16.38%
It was TERRIBLE (217)
13.88%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed