Do you read whole books at Uni? Watch

PC2852
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I'm not at Uni yet but I always see people complaining that they have so many books to read, as in, more than one. Do they expect you to read whole books in a period of time or do you have the whole year to read them? Or do they just mean certain chapters, do you have to read whole books?
soup
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Depends on the course. If you do EngLit then obviously, since you have to write an essay on them, but as someone who does Mathematics & Physics, I barely do any reading as most of the course is taught during lectures.
jelly1000
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by PC2852)
I'm not at Uni yet but I always see people complaining that they have so many books to read, as in, more than one. Do they expect you to read whole books in a period of time or do you have the whole year to read them? Or do they just mean certain chapters, do you have to read whole books?
I would imagine as soup has said that for English you have to read the whole book to be able to analyse it. For most other arts subjects though its a case of being given a reading list for the seminar consisting of journal articles or certain pages in the book, and then for coursework its up to you to determine how much of the book you need to read- normally its a case of looking up in the index for all pages that have something relevant to what your righting about and reading them.
Ruffiio
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Of course not, I study history and politics and the main objective of a historian is to pick out the most important parts relevant to the topic being researched otherwise I would most likely be reading for an eternity.
Vixen47
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Not necessarily. You read more chapters than whole books. There might be some who do have to read whole books, but they most probably read a couple of chapters each week until the reach the end of the book.
musketeer
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Not always. I studied Politics/International Relations and often I would take chapters from a couple of books. It's about taking what's relevant to your argument and backing yourself up coherently.
SophiaKeuning
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by PC2852)
Just chapters of books, unless you do English. You might have a few core books for the year, and you'd gradually make your way through that book throughout the year.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Arts University Bournemouth
    Art and Design Foundation Diploma Further education
    Sat, 25 May '19
  • SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 May '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 30 May '19

How did your AQA GCSE Physics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (405)
30.57%
The paper was reasonable (525)
39.62%
Not feeling great about that exam... (226)
17.06%
It was TERRIBLE (169)
12.75%

Watched Threads