What A-levels should I take??? Watch

Ecconomist
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I'm in year 11 and need to take my A-levels in the next couple of months. I now think that I should have a good idea what I need to take (even to A2).

I'd like to go on to study Economics & Management (or Pure economics) at Oxford, Cambridge or LSE... but there are gaps in what I want to take further to A-Level, which may carry great weight.

My Maths is very strong (closely followed by Physics, German, Economics, Geography, English and Chemistry etc.) I also really enjoy Maths and Economics and 'like' all my other strong subjects.

Bear in mind:
I'm only doing Physics to AS; A2 would really narrow the variety of my courses and make me less competitive (plus I do know that it is a demanding course)
I'm not doing History A-Level as I didn't do GCSE.

In brackets are if I'd do it at first year or second year); Any feedback whatsoever would be much appreciated:

AS Level:
Maths (1st)
Further Maths (1st)
Economics (1st)
Physics (2nd)
??? (1st)
Extended Project (1st)

A2 Level:
Maths
Further Maths
Economics
???
lala121
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Ecconomist)
I'm in year 11 and need to take my A-levels in the next couple of months. I now think that I should have a good idea what I need to take (even to A2).

I'd like to go on to study Economics & Management (or Pure economics) at Oxford, Cambridge or LSE... but there are gaps in what I want to take further to A-Level, which may carry great weight.

My Maths is very strong (closely followed by Physics, German, Economics, Geography, English and Chemistry etc.) I also really enjoy Maths and Economics and 'like' all my other strong subjects.

Bear in mind:
I'm only doing Physics to AS; A2 would really narrow the variety of my courses and make me less competitive (plus I do know that it is a demanding course)
I'm not doing History A-Level as I didn't do GCSE.

In brackets are if I'd do it at first year or second year); Any feedback whatsoever would be much appreciated:

AS Level:
Maths (1st)
Further Maths (1st)
Economics (1st)
Physics (2nd)
??? (1st)
Extended Project (1st)

A2 Level:
Maths
Further Maths
Economics
???
Wälle Deutsch weil es einfach prima ist. Es wirt viele Türen für dich öfnen ;-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
bigjeffrey
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
doing Physics to A2 wouldn't make you any less competitive.
Xabier
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm in Year 11 and have researched a helluva lot into my A levels choices and into Oxford. You know you can only apply for one of the two Oxbridge unis? I recommend maths, further maths, economics (not needed but will give you some helpful knowledge and help fuel your interest) and the fourth can be the subject from the remaining you like the most. Physics and chemistry have a numerical side so are useful for further improving that area which you need for economics but if you do further maths this benefit is made void. Ask if you need any more help! BTW, I'm probably going to take maths, further maths, chemistry and physics.
Xabier
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
[QUOTE=Ecconomist;45174909].QUOTE]

(Look at my previous post which I forgot to quote you in.) Continue maths, further maths and economics to AS.
Ecconomist
Rep:
?
(Original post by KingKumar)
I'm in Year 11 and have researched a helluva lot into my A levels choices and into Oxford. You know you can only apply for one of the two Oxbridge unis? I recommend maths, further maths, economics (not needed but will give you some helpful knowledge and help fuel your interest) and the fourth can be the subject from the remaining you like the most. Physics and chemistry have a numerical side so are useful for further improving that area which you need for economics but if you do further maths this benefit is made void. Ask if you need any more help! BTW, I'm probably going to take maths, further maths, chemistry and physics.
Thank you for your reply and yes I understand that you can't apply to both uni's... I'm just keeping options open in terms of what I can go into. Economics & Management is significantly tougher to get into at Oxford but is very employable. Also, Economics (pure) is not offered at Oxford but at Cambridge instead.
Ecconomist
Rep:
?
Of course, if I were to take Physics up to A2, then this is something how my options would look; would this be strong enough... or even too difficult?

AS:

1) Maths
2) Further Maths
3) Economics
4) Physics
5) Geography
6) Extended project

A2:

1) Maths
2) Further Maths
3) Economics
4) Physics

Thank you all for feedback.
username1303391
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I picked maths chemistry biology for A2 but now I want to four 4 a-levels, but my application has already been sent off for medicine. Is it worth the hassle to call the universities up and change my application?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Arts University Bournemouth
    Art and Design Foundation Diploma Further education
    Sat, 25 May '19
  • SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 May '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 30 May '19

How did your AQA GCSE Physics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (306)
31.03%
The paper was reasonable (398)
40.37%
Not feeling great about that exam... (159)
16.13%
It was TERRIBLE (123)
12.47%

Watched Threads