Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I got my offer through from the university which was going to be my top choice and I am really confused with what exactly my conditions are as the wording is quite poor. This offer is from Bangor for the Psychology course (entry requirements BBC) I am doing the advanced welsh bacc which gives me 120 points if passed and also resitting my GCSE maths. If ANYONE could translate my conditions for me that would be amazing as at the moment i'm on a MASSIVE downer

"This offer is subject to you obtaining A minimum of 340 UCAS Tariff points This offer excludes Key Skills from at least 2 GCE A levels or AVCEs including Advanced Welsh Baccalaureate Qualification and General Certificate of Secondary Education (GCSE) Grade C - Mathematics excluding General Studies"

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't help but you have my sympathy. If that quote is verbatim, Bangor should be ashamed of themselves.

ReputationRep:
    Ring up and ask for clarity through verbal means.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ageshallnot)
    It doesn't help but you have my sympathy. If that quote is verbatim, Bangor should be ashamed of themselves.
    Thats directly copied from my UCAS Track page! They are basically saying we are excluding your Alevels and Maths GCSE! haha I'm so confused
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Arrow_x)
    Thats directly copied from my UCAS Track page! They are basically saying we are excluding your Alevels and Maths GCSE! haha I'm so confused
    I read it differently and thought they meant:
    "340 points from A Levels excluding General Studies and Key Skills"

They may want GCSE Maths; but that doesn't count towards the 340 points.

ReputationRep:
    You need to have done 2 GCE A levels along with your 'Advanced Welsh Baccalaureate Qualification' with a total of 340 Ucas points for you to be accepted. Your maths GCSE doesn't count towards any UCAS points.

*Side note: 340 UCAS Points is AAB (BBC would be 280 UCAS Points)

GCE A Level UCAS Grading;

A* - 140 UCAS pts
    A - 120 UCAS pts
    B - 100 UCAS pts
    C - 80 UCAS pts

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abdul-Karim)
    You need to have done 2 GCE A levels along with your 'Advanced Welsh Baccalaureate Qualification' with a total of 340 Ucas points for you to be accepted. Your maths GCSE doesn't count towards any UCAS points.

*Side note: 340 UCAS Points is AAB (BBC would be 280 UCAS Points)
    My advanced welsh bacc is 120 points if i pass it. what grades would i need then?

ReputationRep:
    My advanced welsh bacc is 120 points if i pass it. what grades would i need then?
    It would be subject to 2 other GCE A Level's as your Bacc is only counted alongside. So you would need to obtain at least AB for your other chosen A levels; excluding Key Skills GCE A level.
    Assuming you already have the C grade at GCSE maths.

Best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abdul-Karim)
    It would be subject to 2 other GCE A Level's as your Bacc is only counted alongside. So you would need to obtain at least AB for your other chosen A levels; excluding Key Skills GCE A level.
    Assuming you already have the C grade at GCSE maths.

Best of luck!
    Omg thankyou so much! finally makes sense!! whats the chances of being accepted if I get BB or BC?

ReputationRep:
    Omg thankyou so much! finally makes sense!! whats the chances of being accepted if I get BB or BC?
    I'm applying to Uni this year myself, so can't really answer that question. Given the amount of potential applicants, your chances of being accepted without meeting your conditions are rather slim. However, I've heard cases where people were still given places to courses not meeting their conditional offer. It's totally dependent on the Universities decision.

ReputationRep:
    Really depends on how many others meet or make their offers. Also I think you've misread the entry requirements slightly, on the website it says 340-280 points so they could make any offer within that range and they've made you an offer at the top end.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I got my offer through from the university which was going to be my top choice and I am really confused with what exactly my conditions are as the wording is quite poor. This offer is from Bangor for the Psychology course (entry requirements BBC) I am doing the advanced welsh bacc which gives me 120 points if passed and also resitting my GCSE maths. If ANYONE could translate my conditions for me that would be amazing as at the moment i'm on a MASSIVE downer

"This offer is subject to you obtaining A minimum of 340 UCAS Tariff points This offer excludes Key Skills from at least 2 GCE A levels or AVCEs including Advanced Welsh Baccalaureate Qualification and General Certificate of Secondary Education (GCSE) Grade C - Mathematics excluding General Studies"
    Hi there, I've got the exact same offer for Psychology at Bangor uni too, having the same problem so don't worry. My head of sixth has said the offer of 340 has to include the 120 for welsh bacc, if done. So you need 220 points, exactly 2Cs and a D. 'Tis what I've been told. BBC IS THE OFFER WITHOUT OUR WELSH BACC

ReputationRep:
    Top effort to anyone who can make a head and a tail of that. It may as well be written in Welsh

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Really sorry, I presumed you were doing 3 A-levels like me. As I do 3 plus welsh bacc, I only need 2 Cs and a D plus the 120 points from welsh bacc to get the 340 points. You'll need higher grades in your 2 alevels to meet 340 points inc. welsh bacc.. Sorry..

ReputationRep:
    I would really speak to the university for clarification. I am pretty sure what others have said is right- i.e. that you need a minimum of AB at A level (excluding key skills) plus welsh bac plus Maths GCSE. However, the quote is so badly worded it is possible they mean something else entirely. I think it's also worth pointing out to them that they should be as clear as possible when giving out offers!

You can also ask them what the chances of being accepted are if you get BB or BC (although they may reasonably say that this depends on how others do in the summer). If you don't meet the requirements of your offer, then unfortunately, there is a good chance you will be rejected.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with Slowloris. This is shockingly badly worded and, sadly, all too common. Get clarification from the horse's mouth.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys! I got clarification from the university I'm doing 3 a levels and my welsh bacc so I need CCD to get in and my maths

University open days

• Southampton Solent University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Sun, 18 Nov '18
  • University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.