Turn on thread page Beta

Is my "best friend" really a friend? (long ramble, sorry) watch

Announcements

I was at a party last month as it was one of my close friends birthday and I suddenly started panicking and shaking so I ran upstairs into the bathroom and cried a little then felt fine so went back downstairs.

However I think because I was back in a crowded and confined area I suddenly broke down into tears and ran upstairs but people were now aware. So I sat in my friend's bedroom for a while and spoke to someone I'd just met and my friend who was having the party. I hadn't taken/drunk anything and I'm not really sure why I was upset, I think it was mostly anxiety. So when I felt a bit better I went back downstairs and my friend who I would've deemed to be closest too sort of signalled over to me to ask if I was alright. To be honest I wasn't alright and went back upstairs because I couldn't face the crowd. I was pretty upset for the whole night and just hung out by myself or spoke to a few people I'd met at the party.

I was just wondering, do you think I was right to be pissed off with my "best friend" for not coming over to me to see if I was alright? She just carried on dancing and I didn't even speak to her at all. I try my best to make sure people don't feel like crap and then when I was upset none of my closest friends really checked to see what was up. I don't know if I'm just being a drama queen so what's your opinion? If your friend was upset at a what would you do?

Sorry for the length and congrats if you read the whole thing..

ReputationRep:
    Disappointed, maybe, but not pissed off.

Maybe she knew that you were talking to other people and decided that it would be better if she didn't intrude. Does this kind of thing happen often? If it does and she knew what it was, she might have thought it was best to give you some space. Don't get me wrong, I'd expect a best friend to check but I wouldn't be pissed off if they didn't come up and, to be fair, they did ask you afterwards. I know it's not the same but it's more than understandable if coupled with the previous possible reasons.

That's just my opinion though, others may feel differently.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I was at a party last month as it was one of my close friends birthday and I suddenly started panicking and shaking so I ran upstairs into the bathroom and cried a little then felt fine so went back downstairs.

However I think because I was back in a crowded and confined area I suddenly broke down into tears and ran upstairs but people were now aware. So I sat in my friend's bedroom for a while and spoke to someone I'd just met and my friend who was having the party. I hadn't taken/drunk anything and I'm not really sure why I was upset, I think it was mostly anxiety. So when I felt a bit better I went back downstairs and my friend who I would've deemed to be closest too sort of signalled over to me to ask if I was alright. To be honest I wasn't alright and went back upstairs because I couldn't face the crowd. I was pretty upset for the whole night and just hung out by myself or spoke to a few people I'd met at the party.

I was just wondering, do you think I was right to be pissed off with my "best friend" for not coming over to me to see if I was alright? She just carried on dancing and I didn't even speak to her at all. I try my best to make sure people don't feel like crap and then when I was upset none of my closest friends really checked to see what was up. I don't know if I'm just being a drama queen so what's your opinion? If your friend was upset at a what would you do?

Sorry for the length and congrats if you read the whole thing..
    how many times have you behaved this way, a few times so its became a regular thing to be expected of you or is this the first time?

because i know this will sound harsh but you need to see it from a different perspective, if this is what you always do or have done before, your friend could have thought "no i am not walking away from my party and having a good time to sit and look after you, i want to enjoy myself". i know this sounds like they dont care, but maybe they think you are being overdramatic and they didnt want to throw away their good time to look after you and give you attention. im just saying this because i used to act this way, i used to be a drama queen and go off upset or whatever and eventually my friends stopped chasing after me because they got fed up of it.

if you have genuine anxiety issues then see a counsellor or doctor and i hope you get things sorted. but realise that if this is a regular occurrence you could potentially push your friends away, people want to be around fun people and enjoy themselves, and if you are behaving this way they might not be able to tolerate it regularly.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I would be pissed off. I'd always be there for my friends, especially if they were crying at a house party. :/

ReputationRep:
    I know how you feel because it's happened to me several times and I'm always really pissed off when my close friend doesn't check on me, but I think I've gotten used to the fact that some people will go out of their way to make sure everyone is ok (like me) and then there are some people who just don't give a crap and carry on with their lives (like my best friend)
    I guess if it's annoyed you that much then speak to your best friend about it, if not just let it go
    If you need to chat just pm me

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I think your behaviour is strange, sorry.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 18, 2013
Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.