A LEVEL CHOICES ADVICE (doctor/medicine help) Watch

Nikkalus
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
hi everybody

I've been writing out applications for sixth form, and I'm thinking my A level options.

I'm thinking about a career in medicine and I have a few questions about what would the be best for me to take:

First, my options. I'm definitely going to be taking Maths, Biology and Chemistry, but I don't know about my fourth. Should I do another science, or take a humanities (like English Lit) to show I'm not just good at science?

Next, what maths should I do? I've been given the option to do either statistics or mechanics for maths a level. Which is more appropriate for my chosen career?

Thanks in advance to everyone who answers

REPLY ASAP:cool:
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Well im in year 12, and I know many people wanting to do medicine. Lots of these are doing the "holy grail" - Maths, Chem, Bio, Physics. As long as you have chem and maths as a min you can really do whatever, a good strong essay subject such as English lit does bring some good variety so good luck
brent_
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You'd definitely want to do Mechanics rather than Statistics for Maths. Well because obviously Mechanics has more Science in it compared to Stats. And the three choices you've made were quite good choices. And why not try a fourth one which is Psychology or Sociology?

Posted from TSR Mobile
usycool1
  • Study Helper
Badges: 19
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Nikkalus)
hi everybody

I've been writing out applications for sixth form, and I'm thinking my A level options.

I'm thinking about a career in medicine and I have a few questions about what would the be best for me to take:

First, my options. I'm definitely going to be taking Maths, Biology and Chemistry, but I don't know about my fourth. Should I do another science, or take a humanities (like English Lit) to show I'm not just good at science?
Take a subject which you enjoy. With the exception of UCL (and even with them, the preference is small), most uni's don't really care if you take a contrasting subject.

Next, what maths should I do? I've been given the option to do either statistics or mechanics for maths a level. Which is more appropriate for my chosen career?
Either are fine.

(Original post by Audi)
As long as you have chem and maths
Maths?
tealover96
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I want to do medicine too and I'm taking those three plus Psychology!
Psychology is SOOOO interesting and it helps you understand the mind; right now we just finished doing explanations of abnormality which included learning about the biological approach. And if you think about it that relates to biology and medicine.
But it really is an interesting subject and we have a quite a few people going for medicine who are doing this combo.
Nikkalus
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
thanks to everyone who replied. Hugs and High fives all around!
Okkefac
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I originally wanted to do medicine but now I want to do maths at uni, I did maths mechanics, even though most people do statistics. I hear that statistics is more related to biology/chemistry and I sort of understand that. I hear that we're going to be doing stuff like standard deviation for biology and that comes up in statistics. However mechanics is more...sciencey. Although we haven't done much mechanics, so far it was just like simple physics really (which I love, since I love physics. I do maths bio chem and phys). Do whichever one you enjoy more, really. I don't think it'll majorly affect your other subjects.

As for your 4th AS, just pick something you love, you already have the three you need, since I assume you'll drop the fourth one, may as well do a subject you'll do well in
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• London Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Mini Open Evening - Holloway Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 May '19
  • Brunel University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19

How did your AQA A-level Economics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (51)
14.25%
The paper was reasonable (178)
49.72%
Not feeling great about that exam... (88)
24.58%
It was TERRIBLE (41)
11.45%

Watched Threads