my sister's keeper Watch

mimi007
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Would u Designe a baby in order to save your kid's life ??
What u think about the book or film
I watched the movie it was very emotional and sad
PinkMobilePhone
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I've not read the book. The film was sad.

As for whether I would or not...I don't know. Honestly I don't. It would be completely unfair to the 'designed' child, but at the same time I'd want to do everything in my power to save my first child, so I probably wouldn't be thinking very rationally.
breezer431
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I haven't read the book either but loved the movie. It was so sad.
Im really not sure if I could have a "designer" baby, it would be so unfair on the child. Cameron Diaz is such a nightmare in the movie but I can imagine I would be the same if my daughter was dying!
It's a toughie!
syrettd
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Read and watched it. I don't think I'll ever have kids so it's not relevant to me. I guess I coud say, having cancer at the moment, that I would rather die than let a child be born for spare parts for me though.

But don't bother reading the book if you watched the film first. While it has some really interesting moments (before the cancer the mum says she knows her family is complete because one of her kids is like a mini her and the other is like a mini dad, clearly showing she isn't planning on having further children ever) the ending is f=different from the film, and absolutely terrible and convenient. I'll spoiler it below for anyone who wants to know:
Spoiler:
Show
So it all goes as the film, the dying girl wants to die because a kidney transplant is unlikely to save her anyway and it's not fair on her sister. Her mum accepts this decision. Going home from court, the sister decides to ride with her lawyer. Conveniently, the car crashes and she's about to die but they can save her kidney, which they give to the dying girl and she gets better. Her and her mum are sad over her sister's death, but I can never stop myself thinking 'Well at least the mother got her "complete" family, and the kidney she wanted for her daughter
xoxAngel_Kxox
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
This is a hard decision, because it would depend on what was needed. If it was something that could be taken without hurting the child, i.e. cord blood or whatever it is they take, I wouldn't think twice. I would always love a second child, even more so if I knew what they'd done for their sibling, even if unknowingly.

But, of course, you can never tell where it's going to stop. In some cases that might be all that's needed, and everyone would live happily ever after. But this isn't the case all of the time, the illness may reoccur, something else may be needed - and if it's the situation where the second child needs to make a decision like being a living donor then that would make things difficult.

Ultimately, though, if it DID get to that stage, then it would be a similar situation even if the sibling wasn't born specifically for that purpose. They might still be a match, and could therefore still have to make a hard decision.

I think you'd have to consider what the child could provide without any physical cost to them, and understand that the child has just as much right as a human being as the one you're trying to save.

So yes, I would definitely give it a go. But if people do make the choice, they have to remember that they're having a human being, not just a cure to an illness.
mimi007
Rep:
?
What was the most touching scene for u and why ??
What was your fav scene :confused::confused::rolleyes:
Sad :When kates mother heared about her daughters boyfriend death
Fav: the prom she looked so stunning in that dress
breezer431
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
omg yes when she came down the stairs looking amazing! loved her dress
mimi007
Rep:
?
(Original post by breezer431)
omg yes when she came down the stairs looking amazing! loved her dress
Yeah so true
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (189)
22.74%
The paper was reasonable (383)
46.09%
Not feeling great about that exam... (154)
18.53%
It was TERRIBLE (105)
12.64%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed