Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I am here to ask about how you qualify for independent status, I am applying for medicine for 2014 entry and am rather confused!

I am 21, d.o.b. 13/04/04/1992
    At 16 I enrolled on a music performance course, studied for just over a year but decided to leave due to family circumstances. From July 2009 until about November I worked at an accounting firm, full time until the September [because I went back to college, but left after 6-8 weeks]. I also got a job in a restaurant, I went full time with that when I left college in October, and worked there until April, when I moved out of the family home up to Scotland, where I worked full time for a year and a half, then moved again, working full time for another seven or so months. In mid July 2012 I left my full time job and worked casual hours, starting my A Levels in September 2012. I have continued to work part time, clearing about £400 a month, and in July 2013 I took a second job, so I now work two part time jobs, and have gone to complete my A2 year. I moved back in with my parents in July 2012, but I pay for my day-to-day costs and the running of my car etc. A friend mentioned to me that if I have earned at least £6000 a year for 3 years then I would qualify as independent in the eyes of Student Finance, and by the start of my course in September 2014 I should have earned at least £6000 a year for 4 or 5 years.
    Will I qualify as an independent student so my parent's income is not taken into account, or will my mother's income have to be included? My parents are married, but my father is disabled, if that makes a difference!

Thanks!
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    Hi there ,

To be classed as an independent student based on income details. You will be required to prove earnings of £7500 and above for 3 years prior to starting your course.

If you chose to have application based on parents details,

Household income under £25000 per year receives maximum grant

income between £25001 and £42611 received partial grant

and anything over receives no grant.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Thanks very much.

Just to clarify, is that over £7500 a year for the 3 years immediately prior to the beginning of my course, or any 3 years consecutively [so the years I was 18, 19 and 20 if I start my course at 22]?
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    Hi there,

The years do not have to be consecutive, but must be over £7500.

Thanks

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.